The Malik Report

Praise For Alexey Marchenko

from Brendan Savage of Mlive,

"He was good," Babcock said. "I heard he could really pass the puck. He knows how to play, he doesn't get in trouble so I thought that was real positive.

"We've had a ton of kids up. Some grab it and hold on to it. (Luke) Glendening looks to me like he doesn't want to go anywhere. So if I'm Marchenko, that's what I do. I make sure I don't go anywhere."

Marchenko saw 13 minutes, 21 seconds of ice time in his debut – 57 seconds of it while short-handed – and he had a plus-2 rating after being on the ice for goals by Joakim Andersson and Drew Miller that helped give the Red Wings a 3-1 lead after 20 minutes.

Malik update- George told me this morning he is feeling better but still day-to-day.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

I agree he looked good. Of course, such things must be tempered, as it’s still very early for him. But, so far, so good.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/06/14 at 01:54 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/06/14 at 12:54 PM ET

Standing next to Quincey, most players do.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/06/14 at 01:59 PM ET

He can only do so much…we’ve still got Ericsson, DeKeyser, and any of Almquist, Pellet, and Sproul to work into the lineup.

I don’t feel like Glendening has done a whole lot either…but what are you gonna do?

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 01/06/14 at 02:08 PM ET

Pellet…damn phone.

Ouellet.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 01/06/14 at 02:09 PM ET

Babcock continues his love affair with Glendening, other than being the Red Wings version of “Rudy” I have no idea what value he brings.  He plays the same role as about 9 other players and couldn’t score if you locked him in the rink overnight to shoot at empty nets.  This season is beyond frustrating

Posted by bababooey on 01/06/14 at 02:25 PM ET

He’s the kind of grinder with little in the way of skill but “lots of heart” that Babcock love to have 12 of if he could.  The kind of guy who is a serviceable fourth line centre but who, in Babcock’s mind, could centre the first or second line if Datsyuk or Zetterberg get hurt, and the team wouldn’t miss a beat.

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 02:30 PM ET

Why are you guys picking on Glendening? He is a 4th liner who brings energy. He is a good skater and he hits.
If you expect a goal scorer on the 4th line, go back and watch 2002 playoffs, because that’s the last time that’s ever happened.

Posted by George0211 on 01/06/14 at 02:37 PM ET

Brings energy?  Really?  He’s not even a good skater and he’s not very physical but tries to be.  But my real problem is that this organization is loaded with guys just like him, Miller, Eaves, Andersson, Abdelkader, Cleary…yet we have speed and grit waiting in Grand Rapids (Callahan, Ferraro) and top line talent (Jurco).

Posted by bababooey on 01/06/14 at 02:41 PM ET

Posted by bababooey on 01/06/14 at 01:41 PM ET

Actually, yes he does. He finishes his checks and skates very well. Better than any of the other guys you mentioned. And it’s not his fault that the team is loaded with a bunch of 3rd/4th liners.

Posted by George0211 on 01/06/14 at 02:44 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Posted by George0211 on 01/06/14 at 01:44 PM ET

Agreed.  He also plays very smart, which, more than energy and grit, is how he managed to walk on at UM and be two-time captain, and how he got signed as a non-draft FA.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/06/14 at 02:52 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I like Luke.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/06/14 at 02:55 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Glendening is no Emmerton….and that’s a good thing.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/06/14 at 03:01 PM ET

“We’ve had a ton of kids up. Some grab it and hold on to it. (Luke) Glendening looks to me like he doesn’t want to go anywhere. So if I’m Marchenko, that’s what I do. I make sure I don’t go anywhere.”

***coughbullshitcough***

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/06/14 at 03:10 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I’m with you, SYF. It’s not like they’re going to let Marchenko stay even if he does outplay someone like Quincey.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/06/14 at 03:23 PM ET

Babcock overvalues Glendening because he (Babcock) loves the idea that a guy is playing with a chip on his shoulder. To Babcock, what he values are the following two things: playing with passion/intensity and not making mistakes. Babcock would rather play someone without any real talent if he can feel good that the guy won’t make any mistakes and will play his system. Garth is right: Babcock would ice a lineup full of Glendenings if he could, limited-talent guys who avoid mistakes and play hard. He likes that a heck of a lot more than a guy with a lot of talent who will make mistakes.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/06/14 at 03:26 PM ET

I think Babcock’s preferred roster would be full of Clearys and Glendenings, a team that would score about 57 goals a season but that he could proudly say were “hard to play against”.

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 03:37 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 02:37 PM ET

You’ve completely lost your mind.

Posted by George0211 on 01/06/14 at 03:37 PM ET

To the guy who said Glendenning isn’t a good skater? Are you blind? Hes pry top 5 in speed on our lineup right now. He is diet Helm and he’s cheap.

Posted by brians neck on 01/06/14 at 03:43 PM ET

Posted by brians neck on 01/06/14 at 02:43 PM ET

Posted by George0211 on 01/06/14 at 03:44 PM ET

You’ve completely lost your mind.

I guess sometimes extreme, obvious hyperbole used to make a point isn’t so obvious?

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 03:53 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 02:37 PM ET

ROFL.  Love ya snarky, Garth.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/06/14 at 03:55 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 02:53 PM ET

Not with your usual rants, no not obvious.

Posted by George0211 on 01/06/14 at 03:57 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Glendening is no Emmerton….and that’s a good thing.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/06/14 at 02:01 PM ET

Glendening reminds me a bit of TDT’s cousin.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 01/06/14 at 04:08 PM ET

Not with your usual rants, no not obvious.

Then next time maybe I’ll put up a disclaimer, just for lil ole you, K?

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 04:26 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

I don’t feel like Glendening has done a whole lot either…

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 01/06/14 at 01:08 PM ET

He plays the same role as about 9 other players…

Posted by bababooey on 01/06/14 at 01:25 PM ET

Babcock loves Glendening because he he plays center, is reliable and plays defense and kills penalties, and works hard. He doesn’t expect him to score and neither should we. He’s a good skater, decently fast, and he’s decent along the boards and this is basically exactly what you want from a fourth line center. He shoots right too so he’s the only faceoff guy they have for that. Detroit doesn’t have nine other players that play this role. Currently they only have Andersson, assuming they have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Andersson, Glendening down the middle.

What bothers me is that although he’s looked solid, he’s -7 and his FO % is 48%. But he does the right things and he’s positionally good, so maybe it’s playing with Cleary that’s the problem… On the other hand, I wouldn’t put Sheahan or Ferraro in place of Glendening.

And it’s not his fault that the team is loaded with a bunch of 3rd/4th liners.

Posted by George0211 on 01/06/14 at 01:44 PM ET

When Glendening is playing the second line center spot, that’s because Babcock has no choice, not because he thinks he’s suited for that spot. You could maybe make an argument for a Jarnkrok call up, but against Dallas Datsyuk was out last minute.

Posted by EDJ on 01/06/14 at 04:27 PM ET

Then next time maybe I’ll put up a disclaimer, just for lil ole you, K?

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 03:26 PM ET

That’s ok. I know not to take you seriously from now on.

Posted by George0211 on 01/06/14 at 04:27 PM ET

No, apparently you are.  and top 5 on this team?  Hahahaha, that’s not a compliment.  By the way, you would probably be in the top 10 skaters on this team.

Posted by bababooey on 01/06/14 at 04:31 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

***coughbullshitcough***

Posted by SYF from minding the gap on 01/06/14 at 02:10 PM ET

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/06/14 at 02:23 PM ET

I guess they even kept Nyquist down. If Marchenko plays as reliably as Glendening has or Andersson and Dekeyser did when they first got put into the lineup, I think that as long as there are injuries that Marchenko will stay up. But when all the D are healthy, Detroit has
Kronwall - Ericsson
Kindl - Dekeyser
Quincey - Smith
Lashoff

so Marchenko will have to play defensively better than at least two of Lashoff, Kindl, Smith, and Quincey. I don’t think he’s ready to do that but we’ll see.

I’m not saying that’s what they should do, but that’s what they will do. I’m all for trading Quincey but I don’t think there are any takers.

Posted by EDJ on 01/06/14 at 04:34 PM ET

That’s ok. I know not to take you seriously from now on.

Then I guess we’re even.

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 05:05 PM ET

Has anyone seen this before?

Bleacher Report article on Player usage and then charts the players.

1.  Click on “Player Usage Charts.”
2.  Wait a couple of seconds for it to fully load in another Window or Tab (or right click to select to open in a new Window or Tab).
3.  There is a selector field called Team and select your team.
4.  Wait a few seconds to fully load and voila.

There’s also a field to turn off or on players’ names for that team.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/06/14 at 05:23 PM ET

I’m almost convinced you are trolling.
Helm
Nyquist and Tatar have sneaky speed
Smith is an incredibly fast skater.
Glendenning is as fast as of any of those except Helm.

Posted by brians neck on 01/06/14 at 06:58 PM ET

@brians neck… He is trolling… A couple of posters here hate the Red Wings so much I can’t for the life of me figure out why they would bother reading this blog? As negative as one could possibly be.

Glens is almost as fast as Helm! Same finishing prowess though : (

Posted by BC two hander on 01/06/14 at 07:20 PM ET

But when all the D are healthy, Detroit has
Kronwall - Ericsson
Kindl - Dekeyser
Quincey - Smith
Lashoff

Posted by EDJ on 01/06/14 at 03:34 PM ET

Dude, Marchenko and Lashoff have two distinctly different skill sets:  Marchenko is a PMD and Lashoff is a primarily a defensive defenseman.  Babs likes to have one defenseman back on a pairing for safety to help his keeper.  Otherwise, I agree with those pairings…even the Blunder Twins.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/06/14 at 07:31 PM ET

Well, not really.  I’d dump Q for Jesus Lashoff to pair up with Smitty.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/06/14 at 07:43 PM ET

Agree with the idea of dumping Q for Lashoff. They need someone reasonably defensively defensive to play with Smith and I don’t understand the quincey-smith pairing.

As far as Glendening’s (don’t care how badly I misspelled it, if I did) skating, i have to admit I was quite surprised at how fast he is. I can’t say I’ve watched him enough to know if he’s really got great mobility or is just straight line fast yet though… However. Definitely fast from one end of the ice to the other. Also, YES, defensively responsible, sound, checking center who doesn’t make a whole lot of mistakes. Not a ton of offensive upside either… but to me he seems like exactly what you’re going to get out of most fourth line centers. I would be very happy to see him center a line with a couple other more offensively gifted players from GR next year.

Posted by teldar on 01/06/14 at 08:04 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Posted by SYF from minding the gap on 01/06/14 at 06:31 PM ET

I agree with you. That’s why I say that Marchenko has to be defensively better than at least two of those players, that way Babcock can use him either as the puck mover or as the stay at home. It doesn’t matter how good of a puck mover he is though if he can’t play defense. Babcock won’t stand for that and he’ll be back to Grand Rapids as soon as someone is healthy.

Mostly I just included Lashoff because Marchenko doesn’t have a chance at outplaying (at least in Babcock’s eyes)  Dekeyser, Kronwall, or Ericsson, but has an outside shot at outplaying the other four.

Posted by EDJ on 01/06/14 at 09:27 PM ET

Exactly, which would be great if Detroit didn’t already have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Franzen, Helm, Andersson and Abdelkader as centres on the roster ahead of him.  Next year, Detroit will have Datsyuk, Weiss (sorry, they’re not going to give up on him), Andersson and Helm down the middle.  One of the top two gets injured and Zetterberg or Franzen step in.  The only reason for them to need to bring in another centre is if they have the ridiculous injuries they’ve had this year.

Realisitically, for him to be a regular on the roster it should take some sort of roster catastrophe.

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 10:05 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/06/14 at 09:05 PM ET

If two of Helm, Andersson, and Abdelkader get injured, and Weiss is filling the second center hole, wouldn’t that mean someone currently in Grand Rapids/Glendening fills the fourth center spot?

You could argue that Sheahan, Ferraro, or Jarnkrok deserve the spot more, but I think Jarnkrok is better suited to a top six role or the wing, and I’d prefer Glendening over Ferraro. Sheahan might be all right but Glendening is faster. Anyway let’s hope Helm puts together a healthy season.

Posted by EDJ on 01/07/14 at 01:25 AM ET

Well, as I listed, Detroit has seven NHL centres ahead of him, so to really need anyone from GR, three or four would have to be injured.

It won’t work that way because of Mike Babcock’s obsession with overloading his team with bottom-six forwards, but that’s how it should work out.

Posted by Garth on 01/07/14 at 12:19 PM ET