The Malik Report

Post-Practice Notes For The Wings

via Chuck Pleiniess tweet,

Weiss has groin injury. Likely out 10 days.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Howard starting tomorrow, Babcock says he needs a 2nd line center, doesn’t think Helm can step into that position now.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/08/13 at 02:50 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Howard starting tomorrow, Babcock says he needs a 2nd line center…

Well, I’m not sure how well Howie will do as the 2nd line center, but I guess he couldn’t do much worse than Weiss. smile

I would think he’d split up Pav and Z, but maybe he’ll move Andy up. Otherwise, why would they need Glendenning.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/08/13 at 03:02 PM ET

Well, if he can keep the goalie equipment on, he’d be a great screen on the power play.

Posted by George0211 on 11/08/13 at 03:04 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Absolutely ridiculous the hoops teams are now forced to jump through due to the new CBA agreement. Just increase the the roster size by 2 already. Oh Wait…....no that won’t work because player X’s pro rated salary will put the team $10.00 over the arbitrarily mandated salary cap !! Let’s see…who can we put on IR even though he’s not really hurt??? Who can be sent down and clear waivers???

The Wings have made more player movements in the first month of this season than they made during entire seasons past.

confused

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/08/13 at 03:10 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Not sure if you’ve seen the last few games OTC, but Weiss has been looking better and better each game. He’s been huge in the faceoff circle, great on PK’s, and finally has started to show a little offensive creativity. I thought the last game was perhaps his most dangerous. And then of course he gets hurt and all of that momentum is stopped cold. It’s really too bad.

So Helm has looked terrible so far. I give him a ton of slack because of the time he’s missed and know he can’t return to form without playing time, but he’s definitely in no condition to play 2nd line center. I actually think Andersson is a better option at this point.

But I’m not sure why Babs just doesn’t slot Z to the second line for now? I know he and Dats have been rolling together, but with Z and Dats at center, you still have Tats, Alfie, Bert, Clears. and Abby to fill in the wings. Not ideal, but seems like it’d work for a game until Franzen comes back.

I wish they would just waive whoever they have to waive (whether it’s Sammy or Eaves) to bring up Gus. We seriously need that dude right now.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/08/13 at 03:16 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

to bring up Gus. We seriously need that dude right now.

it’s. just. not. going. to. happen. The fan base needs to let it go.

Posted by MoreShoot on 11/08/13 at 03:21 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I agree, especially where faceoffs are concerned. But the “observation” was just too tempting to pass up.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/08/13 at 03:24 PM ET

Shame about Weiss, played very well the last two games, especially on draws (9 for 9 in Winnipeg and 17 of 23 last night) and defensively.  Plus vs. Dallas he had a couple of good shots on goal and some nice dishes to linemates. Hopefully Eaves will get in the lineup for Sammy.  Nyquist should be in for Cleary, but Kenny signing Cleary and paying Miller $1.3 per kills that thought.

Posted by Uncle Rico on 11/08/13 at 03:28 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Missing Weiss in the face-off circle is going to be huge tomorrow. T Bay likes to play puck-possession, but that’s a bit difficult to do if you don’t take the puck from the face-off circle.

Call me a pessimist, but I’ve got a knot in my stomach about tomorrow’s game.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/08/13 at 03:54 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

I’m still in shock the Penguins signed Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond to a two-way two year contract when they already have Orpik and Engelland. Course the goon signed for about four times less than Kenny signed Toots for, sigh.
Weiss carried the puck from center ice last night threading his way through multiple Stars and almost scored all by his lonesome. He has plenty of skill and will be missed.
Hard to get excited about this team when they badly lack a good physical stay at defenseman and a hard checking winger.
They will continue to blow leads and get manhandled.
Howie got off the ice faster last night then I’ve ever seen, jeez. Screened goal night ah thanks defense.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 11/08/13 at 04:39 PM ET