The Malik Report

Pleiness: Mikael Samuelsson’s upset with the way the Red Wings treated him

I saw this pop up on the Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness's Twitter feed and made a long, audible groan. Mikael Samuelsson apparently opened his mouth during the Red Wings' locker room clean-out day, and this happened:

“I’m just disappointed the way this year started out,” said Samuelsson, who just wrapped up his two-year deal worth $6 million. “I was hoping and believe I have something more to give, but at the same time when the young guys came in they definitely deserved a chance to play. They played so good then it became a tough spot for the management. I guess I was the odd man out. From my standpoint I didn’t like what was going on.”

Pleiness continues...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RW19's avatar

That’s kind of funny. If you recall he complained when he left the first time, he publically complained when the Canucks traded him to Florida and he was upset when the Panthers basically dumped him.

This guy’s career was basically OVER until the Wings rescued him from the scrap heap back in 2005. Holland recused him a second time two years ago and gifted him 6 million dollars.

Some people just don’t know when to shut up!

Posted by RW19 on 05/03/14 at 02:03 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Can I just keep copying and pasting from previous threads?
—————————
Boy oh boy if Wings yearn for a PP net front skill, Vanek is the best one available!  Great hand eye coordination up there.

Will be UFA, an expensive one probably.  I liked the Buffalo team he was on years ago but most of them have long since moved elsewhere to cash in.

Let’s see,  add up the savings from Cleary, Beruzzi, Samuelsson, maybe free up $1.9 if buy out Tootoo, maybe there’s $8M.  Maybe better suited spent on top line Defense if such a person exists.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/03/14 at 03:02 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/03/14 at 02:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Bruins just keep coming

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/03/14 at 02:07 PM ET

Just leave, Sammy. We thank you for your efforts, but the team is younger, cheaper and more talented without you.

Posted by Lidstromfan on 05/03/14 at 02:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I can’t find any fault with what Samuelsson said in the above quote, maybe I’ll read the rest of it.  He gives full credit to the youngsters.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/03/14 at 02:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jesus Lashoff the Bruins have tied it, they are relentless like sharks in a feeding frenzy, roster deep boundless effort and energy.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/03/14 at 02:11 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jesus Lashoff the Bruins have taken the lead.  Relentless!  3 goals in 6 minutes.

20 x 2-goal leads given up in the playoffs so far.  This is not your NHL of your youth.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/03/14 at 02:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Holland on Franzen:

I don’t have any plans to buy Mule out. I don’t know where you go replace these people.

Fraid so.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/03/14 at 02:29 PM ET

moocat's avatar

Holland’s exit interview to Sammy should have just consisted of this

Posted by moocat on 05/03/14 at 02:36 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Tough reality of age for Sammy and Bert and best years behind them.
Thanks for the memories boys, I liked both of them when they were at their best and Sammy was at his best when he played with a chip on his shoulder.
With Bert and Sammy gone next season this will be the softest Red Wings team probably in the team loooooooooooooooooong history. God I miss the D-Mac, Kocur and Probert and Gallant days.
Marchand abused Subban in front of Price so badly today he caused him to screen the shot that Price couldn’t stop.
Sign us a pest Holland at the very least.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 05/03/14 at 02:41 PM ET

@TheJimP19's avatar

Holland tends to be stubborn about things, like going with the prospects or trying to get tougher.  Only reason these kids got a shot this season were the injuries.

Posted by @TheJimP19 from transplanted in Nashville on 05/03/14 at 03:18 PM ET

ClintonVerley's avatar

I thought Samuelsson’s comments were basically boilerplate stuff until the last sentence. And the fact that it IS the last sentence really makes you wonder what he was trying to imply.

Posted by ClintonVerley from Auburn Hills, MI on 05/03/14 at 03:43 PM ET

Well you sucked ass Sammy thats the bottom line-you got outplayed by rookies night-in and night-out

Posted by Bay Area Wings fan on 05/03/14 at 05:24 PM ET

Not even HiHd can salvage Sammy now.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 05/03/14 at 06:48 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I was one that was ok with the re-signing of Sammy a couple of years ago. Since he loves to shoot, was right handed, he was something we needed.  Well…he didn’t work as well as I had hoped.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/03/14 at 07:30 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I don’t know what the wings will do without someone to fire 30 pucks 3 to 5 feet over the net per game.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/03/14 at 09:43 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/03/14 at 10:43 PM ET

We’ve still got Franzen.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/03/14 at 10:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Well, that will account for at least 10 of the 30!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/03/14 at 11:06 PM ET

Seems like there’s a lot of straining to find something to bitch about above.

Sammy was totally irrelevant for the past two years due to injury, and then sucking.  He was cleanly passed on the roster by lots of people, and ended up getting waived.

Uh, yeah, I would imagine that ride wasn’t so much fun from his perspective.

Oh well, thems the breaks.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/04/14 at 07:39 AM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/04/14 at 08:39 AM ET

Translation: I was a huge Sammy supporter who blindly saw more in an aging veteran than anyone else. I was completely wrong in thinking he could put up 30 goals this season and that his history of injuries would show up again at his advanced aged. What I didn’t see was his poor attitude when things don’t go his way.

Sorry folks.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 05/04/14 at 09:42 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think the title on Pleiness’ article weren’t exactly in fitting with the overall tone of the comments presented and I think that this snippet and title further exacerbate the misunderstanding.

From my standpoint I didn’t like what was going on.

That. THAT, is the single-most plaintive quote from Samuelsson in the entire article. “from my standpoint I didn’t like it.”

yet somehow Pleiness wrote it out as the Wings mistreated him and now George posts it that he’s upset as though this is in any way comparable to his reaction to being left off the 2010 Olympic team or even that it’s even close to Samuelsson being a malcontent.

and this is what people want to believe about Samuelsson: that he’s blaming everybody but himself for the way the last two seasons went and now he can kindly fuch the fuch off because he stole those $6M right from the pockets of us fans.

I didn’t read that here. I don’t think that’s what Samuelsson is saying. I think he’s a guy who isn’t happy about the way these two years have gone and that he realizes it’s not a black-and-white situation.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/04/14 at 11:09 AM ET