The Malik Report

Pleiness, Khan: Red Wings likely to lose Tom Renney’s services to Hockey Canada

Via RedWingsFeed, well now we know why we haven't heard about any extensions for Mike Babcock or the Mad Hatter yet. The Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness reports that the Red Wings' coach may have to hire two new assistant coaches:

According to Wings general manager Ken Holland, Tom Renney is in the final stages of landing a position with Hockey Canada. Renney spent two years as a coach with Hockey Canada, serving as the head coach of the Canadian National Team that went on to capture a silver medal at the 1994 Olympic Winter Games in Lillehammer, Norway.

“Mike (Babcock) has been talking to a number of people,” Holland said during a phone interview.

Renney is up for the vacant position as president and chief executive officer, which was formerly held by Bob Nicholson.

One of the candidates the Wings have interest in is also interviewing with a few others teams before making his decision. According to a source, one person Detroit has interviewed is Tony Granato.

Pleiness continues, and MLive's Ansar Khan confirms:

"We've been talking to a couple of people," Holland said. "One of the people we've talked to is talking to a number of other teams."

Holland declined to reveal who's in the mix, but a source said Tony Granato has interviewed for the position. Granato spent two-plus seasons as head coach of the Colorado Avalanche, most recently in 2008-09. He was an assistant coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins under Dan Bylsma the past five seasons.

Coach Mike Babcock has spoken to a number of candidates.

"Mike has done a fantastic job finding assistant coaches," Holland said. "I sign off on his decision. Three guys he found (Todd McLellan, Paul MacLean and Peters) turned out to be NHL coaches."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

SK77's avatar

TONY FUCHIN GRANATO?!?!

WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US, HOCKEY GODS?!?!

Posted by SK77 on 07/10/14 at 09:13 PM ET

First we need to wrap up Samuelsson and prove our loyalty.

Posted by Shanahanman on 07/10/14 at 09:16 PM ET

Let the butthurt begin…

Posted by SlimChance on 07/10/14 at 09:23 PM ET

Can Cleary coach?
But seriously I do not expect Babcock to be back after next season. KH does not give him anything he asks for and I do not see Babcock willing to coach a new generation of DRW players, nor do I think he will be good at that.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 09:28 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 10:28 PM ET

But seriously, guys. Like, Ken Holland is sssooooooo mean to Babcock. He won’t give him anything he asks for.

Babcock pushed hard for Cleary’s return, leading to a one-year deal at $1.75 million. Along with that came with a verbal agreement the Wings would take care of Cleary this summer.

Shit.

Posted by SK77 on 07/10/14 at 09:52 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Renney served as a superb “good guy.” He never got the power play going, but that’s personnel’s fault, too.

I don’t know what’s going on with Babcock. Some are now questioning what’s going on with Holland’s administration in general. It’s hard to say who’s doing what with so many moving parts these days.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/10/14 at 10:03 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Well, thanks for keeping us posted, George. It’s a pretty thankless job when things are playing out with The Franchise the way they are.

Posted by SK77 on 07/10/14 at 10:06 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The kids are all right, there’re more on the way, I just don’t get the concept of setting up so many roadblocks in front of them. Cleary didn’t earn it. :/

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/10/14 at 10:11 PM ET

SK77's avatar

If the quotes are to be taken as fact, and I don’t see why they wouldn’t be, it sounds like Babcock didn’t think “the kids are all right” last year and pushed KH to get him Cleary.

And to make that happen, KH had to give him a two year deal, no?

Not saying I like it ... but it sounds like the blame for this particular clusterfuck is just as much on Babs, if not more. Right?

Posted by SK77 on 07/10/14 at 10:13 PM ET

OMG.  This gets better and better.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/10/14 at 10:18 PM ET

Is there a way we can blame Quincy for this??

Posted by SlimChance on 07/10/14 at 10:19 PM ET

“Mike has done a fantastic job finding assistant coaches,” Holland said. “I sign off on his decision.”

Great.  Losing top flight management types (Yzerman, Nill, and McDonnell) and assistant coaches to NHL head coaching jobs.  Helluva turnover rate.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/10/14 at 10:25 PM ET

RocketSurgeon's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 10:28 PM ET

Uhhhh ... like a guy named Brunner? Wasn’t he pushed by Babcock? Holland gave him that one! So has this turned into a power struggle between Kenny and Babs because Mike Ilitch is no longer able to be a strong boss? Who is ultimately running the show anyway? Christopher Ilitch? Does he have any stones and any knowledge about hockey? Is the franchise decline routed from the top down? Oh my friends .. I have a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach and I don’t like it. If we are seriously looking at Tony Granato as an assistant coach .. oh my!

Posted by RocketSurgeon on 07/10/14 at 10:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Wings sign Cleary.
Personnel begin Jumping ship.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/10/14 at 10:56 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

That candidate has let the Wings know that if any of the other teams he’s interviewing with offers him anything approaching half of what the Wings are offering, he’s going to take it. Originally, he had told them he’d choose another team if they offered him two-thrds of the Wings offer – but then he heard about the Cleary deal.  tongue rolleye

Two weeks ago, I was filled with anticipation for the coming season. Now I’m just filled with dread.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/10/14 at 11:01 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

As Homer Simpson once said ...” OH It just gets worse and worse !..”

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/10/14 at 11:15 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Wings sign Cleary.
Personnel begin Jumping ship.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/10/14 at 11:56 PM ET

That should be the first entry in your 2014-15 Wings Diary Bill.

Posted by calquake on 07/10/14 at 11:48 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

“Hello, this is Mike Babcock…Are you interested in talking about an Associate…....Hello, Hello???”  Babs…. “I need a new phone Kenny!! Send Cleary out to get one, Bonus Time”

GM not extended, Coach not extended, Coach hiring Associate Coaches…. Something is wrong with this scenario

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 07/10/14 at 11:52 PM ET

Redwingman17's avatar

Thanks for the reporting George. It’s always good info and the first place I go to for my Hockey news. I’m sure you’ll be heading up for camp in September. Will you be looking for funds? I may be able to help a little by then. Just had shoulder surgery last week and PT is costing me a little bit..

Take care, Kevin

Posted by Redwingman17 from Denver/ LA on 07/10/14 at 11:59 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Benghazi. smile

Posted by calquake on 07/11/14 at 12:26 AM ET

d ca's avatar

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/10/14 at 11:25 PM ET

If you are losing people to other opportunities that are progressing in their careers upward such as going from associate coaches to head coaches, assistant GM’s to GM, etc than you are hiring/developing the right people. That said there are only so many of theses openings available and the pickings get slimmer every year as those people you develop take your evaluation systems with them and compete for the new hires. It’s pretty hard to fault the Wings for those moves. You can fault them for not pushing retirement on some—but even that’s a pretty finite point.

Renney was a head coach. The Wings were fortunate to get him because of the timing with the Oilers—just like they would have been lucky to get Hitchcock had he chose to stay beyond that training camp a few years ago. Neither would have stuck around for too long as both would have had greener pastures. I was very disappointed with the special teams progression particularly the power play—it looked lost between the old style of carrying the puck across and the newer chip-and-chase, but as George said: a lot of it is personnel and not coaching. Yes, folks Lidstrom and Holmstrom were that special on it.

I would like the Wings to go after Adam Oates.

Posted by d ca on 07/11/14 at 12:34 AM ET

calquake's avatar

I would like the Wings to go after Adam Oates.

I second that emotion.

Posted by calquake on 07/11/14 at 12:46 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Is there a joke going over my head or do people here actually believe that they have good understanding of whether or not Granato is a good choice for an Assistant Coach?

Posted by alwaysaurie on 07/11/14 at 12:51 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

It’s so cold in the D.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/11/14 at 01:08 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Aurie.. No but I read his wiki page… That good enough?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/11/14 at 01:52 AM ET

I don’t think this is part of some kind of panic collapse of the franchise.

Holland and Babcock gave Renney and Peters the chance to interview like two months ago, after we were eliminated.  Renney’s a long-time head coach and this was always a temporary gig for him—Peters was good enough to earn a shot as a head guy.

Nothing against Renney, but nothing about our power play, which he was hired to fix, convinces me that retaining him should’ve been some kind of organizational priority.

I have no idea who the good assistant coach candidates are, but I don’t think of Granato as a bad candidate at all.  He was a bad head coach in Colorado both times he held that title, but Bob Hartley, Joel Quennville, and Dan Bylsma have all thought enough of him to employ him as an assistant, and none of those guys is an idiot.  The Penguins power play is obviously stacked with talent, but it isn’t as boring or predictable as ours has been structurally, so it could well be that he has something bona fide to offer, as well.

(Also, Landon Ferraro is his nephew, so he might be inclined to give the kids a fair shake.)

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/11/14 at 06:12 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US, HOCKEY GODS?!?!
Posted by SK77 on 07/10/14 at 10:13 PM ET

They really stick it in and break it off, don’t they?

Posted by Hootinani on 07/11/14 at 07:07 AM ET

First we need to wrap up Samuelsson and prove our loyalty.

Great line!

I mean Bertuzzi is better than Cleary at this point.  But neither should be back.  I hate so much how Kenny defends the signing by saying “my program has been loyalty, blah blah blah” and “I talked to many people in the organization and they all love Dan Cleary blah blah blah.”  You are the GM, you get paid to make sound hockey and business decisions not re-sign players cause Zetterberg says ya Dan’s a good guy.  How do you know that Dan Winnik or Steve Ott wouldn’t be just as good in the room but better on the ice…?!  We’ll never know cause we are stuck with Cleary, Miller, Quincey, Glendening while other teams cut ties with players that may be good guys but aren’t as good as the players available to replace them.

Posted by Uncle Rico on 07/11/14 at 08:15 AM ET

Renney ran a successful PP with Edmonton and I just refuse to believe that

1) the idea that the ONLY way to score on a PP is a shot from the blue line with traffic upfront
2) putting ANY forward on the point and not giving Smith a chance
3) total lack of puck movement down low and no shots from the faceoff circles

are Renney’s ideas. This is all Babcock imo who stubbornly wants to prove the whole world that his way is the right way even if the PP goes 0 for 30 at times. Like he stubbornly played Dats with Cleary and Bert for at least 5 games in row.

Babcock always says he does not want “yes men” on his coaching staff and he is looking for new ideas and assistants to challenge him, but to me he runs this team 100% the way he wants it including the PP.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/11/14 at 08:51 AM ET

Posted by VPalmer

Sure, you could be right I think there’s some hyperbole there, but I know what you’re saying), but even in that case Renney isn’t much of a loss in terms of on-ice results.

If we need someone who can get Babs out of his “we still have Lidstrom, Holmstrom, and Rafalski” build on the powerplay, then that’s what we need.  I have no idea if it’s Granato or Oates or someone else, but it isn’t Tom Renney.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/11/14 at 10:08 AM ET

Good way to put it, I have been saying the same thing for the last 2 years.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/11/14 at 11:20 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Benghazi. smile

Posted by calquake on 07/11/14 at 01:26 AM ET

Obamacare. tongue wink

Hi Quake! Trying to one-up ya.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/11/14 at 03:43 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I would like the Wings to go after Adam Oates.

Posted by d ca on 07/11/14 at 01:34 AM ET

As a player or as a coach?(I keed, I keed)

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!