The Malik Report

Please Don’t Boo Fedorov

Paul here for George who should start his regular blogging routine the early part of next week…

from Jeff Riger of CBS Detroit,

I’m not one to tell fans what to do when they attend games. If they want to boo they should boo, if they want to heckle, they should heckle, if they want to do the wave, well I think you know where I’m going here. However when I heard the news that Sergei Fedorov was going to play in the Alumni Game at Comerica Park on New Year’s eve, I felt my silence should be broken.

I’m writing this blog to ask the thousands of Wings fans that are in attendance on December 31st not to boo Sergei Fedorov.

continued

This was a hot topic yesterday on Detroit radio and I think the vast majority of fans will greet Sergei with a very warm round of applause.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Bob Probert was booed when he was with the Blackhawks, and I remember him saying how moved he was with the reception he got at the Yzerman retirement ceremony. I would think Fedorov will be forgiven and welcomed back in the same manner.

Posted by mc keeper on 08/03/12 at 01:02 PM ET

Let bygones be bygones.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 08/03/12 at 01:03 PM ET

Red Wings probably win zero Stanley Cups between ‘97 and ‘02 without Sergei Fedorov being one of if not the very best players and postseason performers in the NHL.  It was pretty much he and Forsberg back then.

Would like to think fans got it all out of their systems to boo the man the first few times around as a visiting opponent.  Even if he left to be the star of another team that he would never be here, he still deserves the respect Red Wings fans typically extend to just about everybody else (especially to a former Red Wing).

To boo him would make Red Wings fans look petty to what should be the largest audience to ever watch a Winter Classic63.  Dont do that.

Cheer him loudly.  He was awesome.

Posted by ryan on 08/03/12 at 01:15 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Always loved Fedorov, no booing here tongue rolleye

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 08/03/12 at 01:49 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

As one of the people who don’t think Fedorov should have his jersey retired because of his rocky relationship with the Wings, I’m fairly confident in thinking that people who boo Fedorov while wearing Wings gear are going to get their asses either kicked or drowned out.

It would be a really shitty thing to boo Fedorov for agreeing to come play in the alumni game.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/03/12 at 01:53 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/03/12 at 11:53 AM ET

+91.  Even when he left MTL (even when they lustily boo’d him in his game as a Habs keeper), Roy was still greeted by Habs fans with loud cheers, esp. at his sweater retirement ceremony.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 08/03/12 at 02:14 PM ET

I think I was more pissed when he didn’t resign with the Wings down the road then bolting to sign with the Ducks. I believed him when he said KH + company changed the contract he intended on signing around, but I always thought he might come back. Looking back at it if he would have signed that monsterous contract with the Wings then Pavel might have split. We would have been Cap strapped with that contract.

Posted by Malike_is_alive from Mitten on 08/03/12 at 02:16 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

I don’t think this is even an issue since he left the nhl. Fans booed him because he was playing against the red wings when they thought he should be playing for the red wings. I never liked the booing, he was my favorite wing for a long time, but that shows how much the fans wanted him playing for us. I think there’s 0% he gets booed.

Posted by Keyser S. on 08/03/12 at 02:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

While agreeing that he should finally be cheered as a Red Wing alum with 3 Stanley Cup rings, to boo him in front of Maple Leaf fans would be reprehensible.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/03/12 at 02:26 PM ET

Posted by Malike_is_alive from Mitten on 08/03/12 at 12:16 PM ET

I thought I remember hearing that Columbus were going to trade Federov to Detroit, but Babcock (who briefly coached Federov in Anaheim) asked management to nix the deal, so Columbus dealt him to Washington instead.  I don’t remember where I heard this from, unfortunately.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 08/03/12 at 02:43 PM ET

Too bad to be retired, too good to be booed.

Posted by Herm from the office on 08/03/12 at 02:56 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Even among Datsyuk, Stevie Y, Lidstrom, or any other great Wing player, Fedorov will always be my favorite Red Wing.

There were so many games where he made a “holy fuch this guy is awesome” play.  Granted they didn’t make me giggle like Pavel, but they had a magic of their own.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 08/03/12 at 03:02 PM ET

I agree, he didnt make you awe…  He just coasted through games…
Then suddenly, out of nowhere, the bastard came into the attacking zone, slipped between 2 forwards, deked another D, and put the puck in the net, while the other team’s players all had that “WTF JUST HAPPENED?” face in them

Damn, he was that awesome… I liked him almost as much as I liked The Cap, and saddly, that’s probably why he left us

If I were on the winter classic game, I would make pretty sure no idiot would boo him close to me, at least

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 08/03/12 at 03:16 PM ET

Please excuse the encroachment for a second. I will try and be concise and relivent, then gone.

As I am not the diehard Wings fan as most of you are can I bring, what I consider to be a relivent point up?  Last years winter classic had one of the most controversial figures in Philly return to the orange and black.. And I had the same apprehension about the mans donning of the jersey to play the game.. Number 88, Eric Lindros.

There are two very significant sports figures that influenced my love for the best sport on the ice and that was Lindros and Federov.. How I ended in goal is still a mystery, probably horrible skating skills, but they had somewhat.. Somewhat of a similar path.. Out of our respected organizations.. Once again.. Somewhat. And it was not on the best of terms.. But my point being what they brought to our respective organizations, and even against each other.. During the 5 Ov’s/LOD showdown. It is, in my mind, one of the greatest, and our 2 players made it so. I didn’t like the Wings back then, well hated them, but have always and will always respect them and Feds was the top reason for your legendary franchise.

You are going to do as you will as it’s your team, and you experienced the disappointment of his transition out, as I did when 88 hung up his skates after so much drama.. But the fact remains for me is that these players were the reason that I watched the games.

As I mentioned it was a difficult time waiting for 88’s number to get called in the line up and Philly can be a very hard market to come back to.. But the joy of seeing one of my teenage heroes resulted for my team.. Was unreal.. And when Feds # is called.. I get to enjoy it again. These are once in a lifetime events and even after Feds stomped my Flyers.. I will be cheering for him everytime he touched the puck.

Now go crush the Leafs!!!

Hell I’m getting excited now.

Posted by Flyers Fan from Tampa on 08/03/12 at 03:41 PM ET

Umm.. Let me change a statement.,

“Federov was ONE of the reasons”. Never meant solely the reason on such a jammed roster.

My bad.

Posted by Flyers fan from Here on 08/03/12 at 03:44 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

No booing here either.

And to the rest of KK… I just was allowed to buy Winter Classic tickets… Anyone else finally get let in?

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 08/03/12 at 03:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I wish I had had center ice in the 90s so I could have a better appreciation for both the younger Yzerman and Federov.  Insead of watching 80 games per season plus playoffs I was lucky to see 4 or 5 on ESPN.

I do remember that Sergei’s last goal was, ironically, against Anaheim late in game 4 although it did not alter the inevitable sweep. I am somewhat jaded and jeered him in anaheim the next March on a Sunday afternoon as he was on the ice as the Wings jolted to a 3 goal lead with 91 on the ice. ” hey Federov, that’s minus 3!”  I yelled, to the laughter of hundreds of wings fans nearby.  The joke was on us as unfortunately Curtis Joseph and a dysfunctional Wings team could not stop the Ducks from coming back to win, 8-6.  Absolutely horrible.

I’m all better now and will cheer him if I make it to that game.  You who LB on A2Y will recall when a game goes to 4x4 OT I frequently post ” this is Sergei Federov time.”  what a deadly force in open ice.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/03/12 at 04:15 PM ET

Alan's avatar

If I could be there, I would cheer him on like always. Him, and all the rest of the Wings alumni.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/03/12 at 04:24 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I figure as long as he’s in Red, he’ll be ok.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 08/03/12 at 04:46 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Fedorov still is one of my all time favorites.  The way he could skate down the ice…pure magic.  I’ll never forget his five goal night against the Capitals.  His goal against the Avs when he was playing with broken ribs.  I could always tell when he was on the ice.

I won’t be in Detroit for the game but I really believe people will remember the good and the magic and welcome him back loudly.

The fact that he agreed to play in the alumni game should speak volumes.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 08/03/12 at 08:06 PM ET

If Wings fans boo Fedorov, theyre no better than the Hawks fans who booed Chelios.

Posted by Jett S. on 08/03/12 at 09:57 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Jett S. on 08/03/12 at 07:57 PM ET

Wings fans have booed Fedorov when he played in different colors, the hope is that that will have passed when he returns as a Wings Alumnus.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/04/12 at 12:27 AM ET