The Malik Report

Pick ‘Em

Paul in place of George today, but I did correspond with him Saturday night and he said he is feeling better.  Hopefully we will have George back by game 1.

Glancing at some of the hockey “experts” picks for the Nashville/Detroit series, so far the Predators are the overwhelming pick.

But as we all know, we too can be considered hockey experts, especially when ti comes to these two teams.  Heck, we watched more of the Wings than the experts and we certainly know how the Predators play, since they are coming out of the Central Division.

So with that in mind and using your head instead of your heart, who wins, Nashville or Detroit?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

detroitdan1982's avatar

Season series tied 3-3. When the Wings are healthy and motivated they can beat any team in the league. I think it might go the distance, but I think the Wings can win. That’s my head AND my heart talking!

Posted by detroitdan1982 from St. John's, NL on 04/08/12 at 02:37 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Detroit in 4.  #imahomer

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 04/08/12 at 03:01 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Expecting the Poohp (playoff only hockey player) named Mule to come alive, I’ll take The Wings in 6

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/08/12 at 03:07 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Wings in 6!  No Home Ice advantage unless series goes to 7 games.  Fil is due to bust out and he better as I added his jersey to my Wings collection.

Glass is always Half Full unless it is Rum and Coke!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/08/12 at 03:09 PM ET

Preds in 7…..so say the entire list of ESPN “experts”.  Who am I to argue with their hockey intellect?

Seriously though, not one thinks the Wings will win?  Are the Preds 1 seed and Wings 8?  It’s not like Nashville played lights out towards the end of the season.  They lost 6 of their last 13.  Rinne gave up 4 or more goals 5 times the last month.  You’d think Nashville was heading into the playoffs for the 21st straight time looking for their 5th cup in that span, and Detroit was hoping to win their second playoff series ever.

Sure Detroit limped into the playoffs, and plenty of people think they’ll continue to play just as poorly but I wouldn’t count on it.  There are too many guys in the Wings’ locker room that have been here before and know what it takes for me to believe they’ll let the Preds take this one.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/08/12 at 04:06 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Wings in 6.
Jimmah is a stud.
The veterans have been lying in the grass, waiting to strike.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/08/12 at 04:17 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Preds in 5

Yeah, I said it

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/12 at 04:19 PM ET

So, this is my prediction for playoff match-ups and results:

Vancouver (1) - San Jose (8)  Van in 6
St Louis (2) - Los Angeles (7)  St. Louis in 6
Phoenix (3) - Chicago (6)      Phoenix in 7
Nashville (4) - Detroit (5)      Nashville in 6

Posted by Alex on 04/06/12 at 11:44 PM ET

Re-posted from Friday’s TMR. Just switch SJ and LA.

Posted by Alex on 04/08/12 at 04:28 PM ET

Preds in 5

Yeah, I said it

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/12 at 02:19 PM ET

I think this is overly harsh on the RW. I also think that so-called “experts” have not seen enough RW hockey lately.

Posted by Alex on 04/08/12 at 04:31 PM ET

drimo's avatar

I think Preds in 6.  Wings have too many defensive lapses, too many shots from the perimeter, and the penchant this year for shorthanded goals against will hurt.

Posted by drimo from Cincinnati, OH on 04/08/12 at 04:45 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

i think its going to be a very hard fought series. Mostly 3-2 games. If we can steal one of the first two in Nashville, we win in 6.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/08/12 at 04:52 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I think it depends on 3 factors: 1) Which Red Wing team shows up.  2) Injuries.  3) Officiating.  Winning one of the first two games is crucial.

Posted by calquake on 04/08/12 at 05:35 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I think the Wings can do this.  And I agree that if we win one of the first two games, it’s much more likely.  I don’t know if I can take my heart out of it, but I think Wings in 6.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/12 at 06:14 PM ET

Preds in 5
Nucks in 5
Sharts in 7
Little Brother in 6

Posted by godblender on 04/08/12 at 06:18 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

It hinges on our D.. and physical play by the forwards.. I think the Wings are getting into a grove and getting some swagger.  I also think with all the “experts” picking the preds the Wings will have a chip on their shoulder.

I also think we need to use Smith asap and obviously Gus needs to remain a fixture.  Emmertons physical play has been surprising but I’m loving his motivation and Miller is like Samuelsson 2.0.  Love this guy, one of my favorite Wings, hope he spends the rest of his career here.  He’ll still get better I think.

Wings can absolutely do this and the travel will go in our favor as well as we’ve been used to crazy west coast games for the past 2 years/4rounds.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/08/12 at 06:26 PM ET

I think Jimmy’s going to need to stand on his head. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen anything this year that would indicate the wings are going to be able to just turn it on during the playoffs this year. The offense has been horrible and the defense has been like slapstick comedy recently. If some the third/fourth lines could have scored even occasionally here of late, I would have felt better, but…

I don’t know.

I’m not getting a good feeling about how the team has gotten to the playoffs.

Posted by teldar on 04/08/12 at 10:14 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

If the Wings can stay healthy and play with determination, I’d pick them in 6.

However, if the Wings team of the past month shows up, and we suffer an injury or two, I pick Preds in 5.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 04/08/12 at 11:33 PM ET

Are the Preds 1 seed and Wings 8?

Well, to play devil’s advocate, none of them is putting Nashville much ahead of Detroit if they’re all picking it as a 7-game series.

And also, to be fair, Jesse Rogers (who?) did pick the Wings in 7.

Really?  I’ve seen them be able to flip the switch a number of times this year, including twice in the last three games.

The probably, to me, isn’t whether they can do it but when will they do it.  If they continue to not do it until they’ve spotted the opponents the first two goals then it’s going to be a short series

Posted by Garth on 04/09/12 at 01:53 AM ET

Are the Preds 1 seed and Wings 8?

And also, to be fair, Jesse Rogers (who?) did pick the Wings in 7.

Posted by Garth on 04/08/12 at 11:53 PM ET

They’ve added experts since I original posted and now there’s 2 picking the Wings.  Anyway, I agree that at what point the Wings decide to start caring in each game will determine whether or not they win.  I fully believe that a Detroit team firing on all cylinders from puck drop in game one beats a Nashville team firing on all cylinders.  The only thing that would surprise me in this series would be if Detroit did flip the switch and still loses.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/09/12 at 03:33 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Wings in 7, Detroit takes two road games.

And hey, fuch the switch, I hate this thing. The last three seasons were mediocre, saved by a month with the switch on. And most of our wins come from crappy efforts, then the switch is on in the 3rd period.

Some say that turning a switch on means the players have character and experience. To me, it says they didn’t give their best for most of the time.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/09/12 at 10:37 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

We’ve seen them flip the switch before, so it’s hard to predict until we see game one. But as it stands now, it looks easily like Preds in 6. If that switch looks flipped in game one and the Wings win, it looks like Wings in 6.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/09/12 at 11:12 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

a Detroit team firing on all cylinders

Aint that the problem? They need some Gumout.

Wings in 6 after losing the first 2 games and then waking the hell up. Yes, i may be a bit optimistic..

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/09/12 at 11:38 AM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Apparently, ESPN’s “experts”—and some Wings fans—don’t know about Zetterberg’s infamous playoff switch. Hopefully, he had it modified so it works on the whole team for 60+ minutes/game. Detroit in 6.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 04/09/12 at 12:15 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Wings in 6.
Blackhawks in 6.
Canucks in 6.
Blues in 7.
Rangers in 5.
Capitals in 7.
Devils in 5.
Penguins in 6.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 04/09/12 at 01:42 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Garth on 04/08/12 at 11:53 PM ET

My thinking is similar to yours Garth.  The ESPN guys all took the easy route of calling the series in 7 games.  I dunno about “flipping the switch” but the Wings always play their best when its all on the line.

This team is better than the one that came back from 0-3 against the Sharks last year.  I haven’t lost faith.

Wings in 5 (knock on wood).

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/09/12 at 04:00 PM ET