The Malik Report

Pens’ Engelland will chat with Department of Player Safety about shoulder to Red Wings’ Abdelkader

Update: This is not a good sign:

Update #2: It's very bad for Engelland given that the NHL's already listing the rules he broke:

The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: rule 46.2, aggressor and rule 46.15, match penalty. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review.

Well okay then. Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader left Saturday's 3-1 loss to Pittsburgh after Deryk Engelland elbowed Abdelkader in the head (after the game, Wings coach Mike Babcock told the media that Abdelkader would not play tomorrow, though Fox Sports Detroit's Trevor Thompson and DetroitRedWings.com's Bill Roose reported that Abdelkader was up and about), and the NHL's Department of Player Safety quickly issued the following Tweet:

That means the following...

Here's the hit...

And a .gif thereof from the Score:

Engelland did have his say after the game, per the Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness:

“He dumps it in and I try to finish my check,” Engelland said after the game. “Obviously I’m not trying to hit him in the head or anything like that, but I think I catch his chin a little bit before his body. Hopefully he’s all right. I had no intentions there to hurt anyone.”

The incident occurred late in the first period.

“It’s a quick play,” Engelland said. “It’s part of my game, playing physical. I’m not trying to target anyone’s head or anything like that. But whatever they do, you got to deal with it.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Maybe the Detroit franchise should chat with the folks in Hamilton as at least that community would fill up an arena for a hockey game!!!

Posted by Joe on 12/15/13 at 12:38 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I just don’t get it, Shanny…

This could be a 5 gamer but you still gave zilch for a more blatant hit on Datsyuk…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/15/13 at 12:46 AM ET

Alan's avatar

From the looks of that, it looks like Engelland intended to stick his elbow out there.

I was stuck watching the Pittsburgh feed tonight, and they didn’t really give it a good look, then said “he had his arm tucked in”. Yeah, okay guys, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Hope Engelland enjoys his vacation, and the Pens fall without Malkin.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/15/13 at 12:54 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Joe on 12/14/13 at 11:38

Maybe you missed the attendance portion of the event summary. Source-NHL.com

Event Summary

Saturday, December 14, 2013
Attendance 20,066 at Joe Louis Arena
Start 7:07 EST; End 9:27 EST
Game 0491
Final

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/15/13 at 01:06 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

We had a *#$%@& snowstorm during the game.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/15/13 at 01:15 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

That’s 3 incidents in one week involving the same team. When will there be accountability? Where to start? Coaches, and players are responsible for what happens on the ice. (This goes for any team)

If any player went after Crosby, you know, to send a message, the punishment would be swift and lengthy. I do not advocate an eye for an eye, but, something has got to be done within the League. And fast.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/15/13 at 01:33 AM ET

Shanny is using tough guys to push his cause.  He, himself, broke into the NHL as a tough guy.  Total sellout.  And the fact that he is F’ing over guys with no history tears down his cause.  Shanahan looks like a buffoon.

Posted by Siggy on 12/15/13 at 02:06 AM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

I’m waiting for the explanation of the suspension to mention the obvious hypocrisy, but…
“I had no intentions there to hurt anyone.” - Throwing your elbow out to “finish my check” gives away the lie. “It’s part of my game.”

Posted by bleep bloop on 12/15/13 at 03:01 AM ET

“46.2 Aggressor – The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.

A player must be deemed the aggressor when he has clearly won the fight but he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself”

???

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/15/13 at 12:33 AM ET

Players go after Crosby all the time and nobody has ever been disciplined, but don’t let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy. For just one example, here’s Steve Downie trying to wreck his MCL.

Posted by larry on 12/15/13 at 03:17 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I don’t get the aggressor either. And as much as I dislike Crosby, I equally dislike watching cheap-shot artists trying to injure him.

That shit ain’t right regardless of who you’re rooting for.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/15/13 at 03:32 AM ET

As much as I hate the Pens I didn’t see where the guy targeted Abby’s chin.

This whole safety issue is partly because of all that hard plastic that’s used on the shoulder and elbow pads. It’s not going to change because of all the sponsorship money the manufactuers throw at the league.

Crosby reminds me of the kid in school who’d stir up crap and go crying to the teacher when he got it. I’m sure the refs are tired of his act. He could use a good Kronwalling.

Gute Arbeit George!

Posted by leftwing on 12/15/13 at 05:49 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

The NHL mandates an inch of soft foam on everybody’s shoulder pads now. Even the guys using 15-year-old Jofas have had low-density foams glued onto their shoulder pads, and the vast majority of the stuff non-pro players use these days would be deemed illegal by the NHL.

I would argue that having the hard plastic there to begin with is responsible for the large number of shoulder injuries now being suffered by players who miss checks and hit the boards or fall over and hit the boards, but that’s just me thinking that the plastic’s now imparting energy inward instead of outward.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/15/13 at 06:00 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by larry on 12/15/13 at 02:17 AM ET

I was merely using Crosby’s name/ branding as an example I could have used any players name. The comment was in no way Crosby bashing or conspiracy.

For the record, I have NEVER bashed Crosby in this forum or any other.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/15/13 at 09:07 AM ET

Primis's avatar

As much as I hate the Pens I didn’t see where the guy targeted Abby’s chin.

Posted by leftwing on 12/15/13 at 04:49 AM ET

Watch it again.  Watch Engelland’s head and focus.  His head goes from down on the puck, to up and he clearly doesn’t just look at Abby, but he specifically looks at his *head*, and then proceeds to adjust himself to hit him there.

If Engelland were still looking down, he might have a case.  That he specifically looked up and still chose to hit Abby in the head…. he’s going to have no case.

Posted by Primis on 12/15/13 at 12:28 PM ET

Looking up is what Abdelkader should have done. Engelland made the smart play by taking his surroundings into account and initiating contact rather than waiting to take a hit. I’ve seen the replay several times and it’s clear to me that Engelland is NOT targeting Abdelkader’s head. Skating hunched over with your head down through center ice is a great way to get your head knocked off.

Posted by godblender on 12/15/13 at 12:50 PM ET

Maybe you missed the attendance portion of the event summary.

Just saw ALL of the empty seats!!! Was really sad!!! Once proud franchise is going to have some really tough times ahead!!! Thankfully the salary cap will help!!!

Posted by Joe on 12/15/13 at 02:44 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Joe on 12/15/13 at 01:44 PM ET

You’re funny.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/15/13 at 04:10 PM ET