The Malik Report

Pavel Datsyuk being Pavel Datsyuk, and a Wings blogger’s nightmare

Just because Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk does this stuff all the time doesn’t mean that have yet to stop giggling like a little girl when he does it:

So right, the blogger’s nightmare:

You’re probably wondering where my recap is. The formal one, not the informal take on the Red Wings’ 4-3 victory over Phoenix.

Well I decided to take a little nap as I’ve ran on about five hours of sleep a night for the past month, and I had a nightmare, a nightmare that pretty much explains why I do my job:

I had somehow gotten into the Wings’ team hotel in Phoenix. Suddenly, Mike Babcock sees me. Babcock yells at me and tells me to come over and take notes while Paul MacLean gives Patrick Eaves a pick-me-up critique. MacLean delivers five bullet-point-style quips that are succinct and perfect, nothing less than brilliant. And then I realize that I don’t have a pen or notebook!

And it’s not just that. I’m like guy from the Kids in the Hall sketch, “The Pen,” when it comes to pen and paper. I’ve got obsessive-compulsive disorder in that regard, to the point that I carry two pens with me wherever I go and have a 4"x6” notebook in my car lest I need something to write on. So this was the kind of nightmare that played into one of my biggest fears, to the point that I woke up twisted the wrong way, with my heart in my chest.

So yeah, I’m gonna go work on the recap now. I don’t want Mike Babcock to yell at me again.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

EDJ's avatar

I appreciate your insights on the game just as much if not more than the formal game wrap-up, George.

Posted by EDJ on 04/17/11 at 01:31 AM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by EDJ on 04/17/11 at 12:31 AM ET

Agreed

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 04/17/11 at 02:39 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

screw you, George.  sleep when the playoffs are over.  until then, WRITE.

wink

there are so many things to see in that Datsyuk clip.  first of all, that little chip of the puck to get it past the Yote was brilliant.  I’ve seen him do it before.  it’s simply amazing that even outstretched like that with one hand on the stick he is able to do exactly what he wants with the puck.

second is his burst of speed.  must have been a strong breeze in Joe Louis today.

third is his ability to recognize he wasn’t going to be able to cut to the middle, letting the defender believe he had “made the play on Datsyuk” by cutting off the middle.

fourth is that sick, sick move.  he’s going to score on that in this year’s playoffs.  mark my words.  and it’ll go down in highlight history.

fifth…watch the THREE Coyotes who were back on the play.  they were so mesmerized by Pavel that they appeared to be watching in awe…totally forgot about the puck and that there might be other Wings on the ice…and let Helm bang in an easy rebound.

sheer brilliance in that 20 seconds of play.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/17/11 at 03:47 AM ET

My pen! That’s my pen!

Posted by herschel c. wollmack on 04/17/11 at 10:20 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

There are no words to describe Pavel Datsyuk.  Even the Versucks “analysts” are drooling over him at long last.

Isn’t playoff time great?  We’re all sleep deprived, nail chewing, Wing-news-addicted bundles of excitement.  Love it.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/17/11 at 11:47 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

the pen is mightier then then sword

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/17/11 at 02:20 PM ET

And Dangles did it against the newly perennial Norris favorite, the ankle slashing assmunch Yandle.

I chuckled loudly.