The Malik Report

Pavel Datsyuk Update

via Khan tweet,

Datsyuk didn't skate today. Worked out off ice. Said he'll skate by himself tomorrow. Needs some practices with team. No target date yet.

added 1:52pm, from Bill Roose of the Wings' website,

Datsyuk was at Joe Louis Arena where he did conditioning exercises and received treatment for his injured left knee, which, he said, may or may not require surgery in the off-season.

“We’ll see what happens,” said Datsyuk, who has missed the last dozen games. “Hard to say now, we do everything to, like, not do surgery.”

For now, Datsyuk is determined to remain positive and stay on course in hopes of returning sometime before the end of the regular season to help the Red Wings reach the Stanley Cup playoffs for the 23rd straight season.

“Of course it is positive. I don’t skate for two weeks, now I’m skating,” he said. “It’s big for me too, and I want to be positive.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Anyone besides me get the feeling Datsyuk will need surgery after the season?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/27/14 at 11:40 AM ET

SK77's avatar

You are 100% not alone in that feeling, Paul.

Posted by SK77 on 03/27/14 at 11:42 AM ET

Anyone besides me get the feeling Datsyuk will need surgery after the season?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/27/14 at 11:40 AM ET

Yup

Posted by George0211 on 03/27/14 at 11:47 AM ET

primolak's avatar

Indeed

Posted by primolak on 03/27/14 at 12:05 PM ET

Don’t even bother until the playoffs (if they make it in).

Posted by fromdowntown on 03/27/14 at 12:13 PM ET

Over/Under - Wednesday April 9.

What do you guys think - does he play before or after?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/27/14 at 12:16 PM ET

Before.

Posted by Garth on 03/27/14 at 12:21 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I dunno, if he needed surgery, I think they would have gone for it right after the olympic break, just like with Zetts

I just hope he gets back to 100%, because knee problems are a bitch sometimes

Posted by Zqto on 03/27/14 at 12:56 PM ET

tekjansen's avatar

Pure speculation, but you don’t think he already hasn’t had some type of procedure? When Holland described the new set of treatment as more “aggressive,” that sounded to me like Pavel got his knee scoped.

Posted by tekjansen on 03/27/14 at 01:18 PM ET

Holland has said repeatedly that three doctors all opined that no surgery was necessary, but that the inflammation was not going down at expected pace.  If it did not go down—and it now apparently has, but of course it could return—surgery would become an option.

So yes, I think we still might see surgery of some sort, but not until this offseason at the earliest.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/27/14 at 01:25 PM ET

harken23's avatar

This is why I almost wouldn’t mind if we missed the playoffs this year. If we make it in, I’m sure Pav and probably Z would be rushed back before they’re 100% healthy, and against a bruiser team like Boston, who we’d probably play in round 1, that might be dangerous.

Posted by harken23 on 03/27/14 at 01:37 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Pav wouldn’t commit professional hara-kiri just to get back, and Hank probably wouldn’t make the first round anyway.  And I haven’t decided whether I’d rather do battle in the Metropolitan or Atlantic

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/27/14 at 01:54 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added more on Datsyuk in the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/27/14 at 01:54 PM ET

As stated earlier, I’m already looking forward to next season. I mean… These guys are injured, let’s not get settled in thinking we have a cup contending team. Anything can happen but I mean, c’mon. There are so many things that would have to happen for us to actually get the cup. I’m looking forward to getting rid of dead weight in cleray, tuzzi, samuelson. Trade a few players, keep a few. Let’s get a #2 defenseman in the offseason and fortify our blue line. It really seems like our defense is bad this year. Never understood why we didn’t go after boumeester (who cares if the price was high) We knew we were losing lidstrom, rafalski, stuart etc… We then lossed Sutter in free agency. Time to get a solid D guy.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 03/27/14 at 02:04 PM ET

Pasha…that’s what I’ve been saying since the team’s injury woes were not alleviated after the Olympic break.

And that is the basis of why I thought the Legwand trade was so ridiculous. Detroit turns 2nd/3rd round picks into good players. Not to mention Jarnkrok looks like an NHLer.

It’s nice to keep the streak alive. But for what? Because “anything can happen when you get into the playoffs…?” Yeah, that’s true if, by playoff time, you’ve got your horses back in good form. That’s such a wild card at this point that it isn’t justified. It’s making too big a bet without enough potential upside to justify it. Legwand has been ok. Nothing special. If that’s the guy we got, he will never, ever be worth Jarnkrok and a 2nd/3rd round pick. Never.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/27/14 at 02:14 PM ET

I know there’s some people who will hate me for this, but I think I’m going to start referring to David Legwand as Bernie Federko or Doyle Alexander. Let’s take a vote on which you all prefer.

Sorry guys, still bitter and I’m going to troll. Keep in mind, there is some tongue-in-cheek here. smile

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/27/14 at 02:23 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/27/14 at 02:23 PM ET

I’ll refer to him as Legwand. Or Leggy as it seems the other players call him.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 03/27/14 at 02:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You have to get David Legwand at the trade deadline. If you don’t have him on your roster by then, you’re not allowed to offer him the maximum 8-year contract in free agency.

Man oh man I’m almost envious of those who can simply toss the near future into the trash and get working mentally on the slightly-farther-out future.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/27/14 at 02:49 PM ET

What’s good form?  Without unquestionably the two best players on the team, Detroit is in the playoffs right now.

Those two players come back (and Ericsson), even not at 100% (because let’s face it, after a grueling six-month season, plus the Olympics, who is ever at 100% when the playoffs start?), plus the addition of Legwand, plus the emergence of Nyquist and Tatar, plus the wildcards of Glendening and Sheahan, you’d be hard pressed to say this team isn’t better than last year’s team which -the record’s already broken so I’m not going to stop now- beat the #2 seed and took the eventual Stanley Cup champion #1 seed to OT in game seven.

It’s making too big a bet without enough potential upside to justify it.

What’s the “too big a bet” we’re talking about?  Having professional hockey players play hockey at maybe not 100%?

That bet is made every single day, at the beginning of the season, in the middle of the season, at the end of the season and into the playoffs.

That bet is what hockey is.

Posted by Garth on 03/27/14 at 03:05 PM ET

Garth, your responses are always appreciated. I just disagree. The team that played well in last year’s playoffs had Zetterberg and Datsyuk at 100% (or nothing major was wrong with either one). This year, there is no real guess if or when either player will be back.

When you’re Ken Holland and you’re deciding whether to make that bet, you have to look at it this way: What is the probability the team will be at full strength if we make it to the playoffs? Right now, could you say that there would even be a 50-50 shot of having Zetterberg and Datsyuk back for game 1 of the playoffs against Boston or Pittsburgh? Do you think the team could beat either team over 7 games without both 13 and 40?

The “too big a bet” is the value of the bet that was made - Calle Jarnkrok. That’s the Wings’ second-line center for the next 10 years. That’s what you sold for David Legwand, who, if he re-signs, will be a third/second line center for a few more years. Legwand also hasn’t really impressed since he’s been here; he’s been inconsistent, to say the least.

The “not enough upside” part of it is: What does the deal buy Detroit, in the best case scenario and what is the probability of the deal delivering that? If you asked me - with a healthy Datsyuk and Zetterberg - if the team was David Legwand away from a serious Cup chance, I’d tell you “no.” Now take Datsyuk and Zetterberg off the team and ask the same question.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/27/14 at 03:28 PM ET

My guess is that this buys Mike illitch maybe his last nhl playoffs with the team he bought and raised out of a dumpster fire.

I’m pissed about jarnkrok but I don’t begrudge it if this is the situation.

Posted by teldar on 03/27/14 at 03:47 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If that’s the value you’re placing on Calle Jarnkrok, then I can see where you’re coming from. I’m not confident enough to call him that.

Jarnkrok isn’t a serious 2nd line center on a good team next year either. David Legwand sure is.  Granted, he’s not re-signed, but if it’s all a matter of assumptive reasoning, I’m more confident in the Legwand will re-sign camp than I am in the Jarnkrok is that close to being a perennial 50-point man.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/27/14 at 04:20 PM ET

Me either.

Heck, I thought Filppula was typically below “#2 center on a good team” during his time with us and that that was a major problem, necessitating playing Zetterberg as a second-line center instead of an all-world caliber winger with Datsyuk.

I do not KNOW that Jarnkrok will be better than Flip was from ages 23-28, much less then maintain that pace for another 5 years after that.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Legwand was better than Jarnkrok the next two or three seasons.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/27/14 at 04:38 PM ET

This year, there is no real guess if or when either player will be back.

So you simply give up on the season and assume they won’t be back?

That’s the Wings’ second-line center for the next 10 years.

In your opinion.  If Holland really thought that, he wouldn’t have traded Jurco.

It’s as simple as that.

At best it helps them get into the playoffs and makes them a better team than the one that nearly toppled the eventual Stanley Cup champs last season if/when Datsyuk and Zetterberg come back.

But what if I asked you this: Is this year’s team, when healthy, with the addition of David Legwand and Tatar and the emergence of Nyquist, better than last year’s team?

To me, the answer is clear, and to me a team tht is better than last season’s team is absolutely, without a dought a team with a serious Cup chance.

The Detroit Red Wings, as evidenced last year, become a different team in the post season.

I honestly can’t fathom how anyone who watched the transformation last year from nearly missing the playoffs to coming so f*cking close to the conference finals could possibly write this team off.

Posted by Garth on 03/27/14 at 04:51 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Since Jarnkrok has been brought up…

The Tennessean,

“As a young player who asked for an opportunity, he has come in and been very detailed,” Trotz said. “The way he plays — I could use some of his clips on some of his shifts to show the right way to play in terms of the detail. He’s got a very mature game. He doesn’t reach and try to strip pucks from behind, he gets on the right side of people and uses his leverage to saw arms off and makes good plays with it, and he just makes good management decisions while he’s playing … some of the other guys can learn from him.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/27/14 at 04:51 PM ET

Thanks, Paul.

Garth - last year’s team that almost beat the Stanley Cup champs was also one shot away from having won 2 playoff games and getting dispatched in game 6 of round 1.

My point is: with the serious uncertainty about 40 and 13, it’s a bad time to make that much of a gamble. There are so many things that would have to work out in the Wings’ favor to have the best case scenario.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/27/14 at 05:32 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

@Vito - As JJ mentioned, if you’re putting the value of Jarnkrok at 2nd line center for the next 10 years, then I see how you’re bitter. But, KH said in multiple interviews that not only was he not going to be the 2nd line center on the Wings next year, he was was likely to not make the team at all (he framed it as a battle to be on the roster). He also valued him as a bottom six forward. I don’t know which interview that was, but it was clear that they liked him as an NHL player, but he was lower than multiple people on the depth chart. It also sounds like Jarnkrok was anxious to get a shot in the NHL and saw that he wasn’t close to making the Wings’ roster. In the end, it was probably a trade that benefitted both parties in the near term; now, whether they got screwed in the long term remains to be seen by Calle’s play.

Posted by PDXWing on 03/27/14 at 07:01 PM ET