The Malik Report

Pavel Datsyuk, otherworldly and/or Hall-of-Famer in the making?

Via Paul, ESPN's Craig Custance offered significant praise for Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk during an ESPN.com chat:

Mike (Kalamazoo): Pavel Datsyuk is an alien. How else can you explain him doing what no human should be able to do and make it look routine? And not just once or twice. This stuff happens EVERY game. Even considering his late bloom (everyone in the Wings organization gets a later start than lousy teams that cant afford to let their players get "over-ripe" will he make the HHoF? Cups, Selkes, Byngs and more intangibles than most any other player in the NHL tells me he should get in... but I'm a Wings fan. What say you?

Craig Custance: I can't confirm that he's an alien but he's definitely a Hall of Famer. He'll go down as one of the best players of his generation. Just ask anyone who plays against him. As well-rounded a star as there is in the game today and has the overwhelming respect of his peers.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Mandingo's avatar

I’d bet money that, right now, Ryan Lambert is writing a “Why Pavel Datsyuk Isn’t a Hall of Famer” column.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 10/15/13 at 01:27 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 10/15/13 at 02:27 PM ET

For what, all 6 readers left since the switch to the site’s new ugly, unreadable layout?

The most-important question though of course is “When does TPSH consider Datsyuk a HHOFer?”...

Datsyuk is one of those guys who, if he played his entire career in BOS or NYR or something… he’d be THE name and face of the league probably.  Instead he plays in DET, and has spent most of his career in the West, which means the most-vocal of hockey media are already in bed half the time when he’s played.

Like I noted in the BOS postgame thread:  The East is just now finally discovering Datsyuk.  They are not going to like what they find when it gets right down to it.  There is NO comparable player now (or ever) to him.

Posted by Primis on 10/15/13 at 01:59 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

It is a good thing that Datsyuk now gets to play regularly in Toronto, Boston, New York etc.
Those fans will get to see “The Greatest Show on Earth”!

Posted by w2j2 on 10/15/13 at 02:09 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Yeah, every time I read a “The Wings are gonna have to adapt to the East”, I giggle a little bit

Posted by Zqto on 10/15/13 at 02:36 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Pavel Datsyuk is a much of a Hall of Famer as Zindy Krosby. I believe even Z will be a Hall of Famer . Let’s Go Red Wings !!  LOL

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/15/13 at 03:59 PM ET

Pasha in the Hall of Fame?  First year, first ballot shoe-in.  Anything less would be a crime.

Posted by Kira on 10/15/13 at 09:03 PM ET

HeilThom's avatar

Oh no. Is it that time in his career? The countdown to the HHOF? This is not good. Can’t he just play forever?

Posted by HeilThom from Hockeytown, USA on 10/16/13 at 09:18 AM ET