The Malik Report

Patrick Eaves suffers a broken jaw

Updated at 1:15 AM with player reaction: From the Red Wings’ PR department…

INJURY UPDATE FOR PATRICK EAVES

Detroit, MI… Detroit Red Wings forward Patrick Eaves suffered a fractured jaw when he was struck by a puck during the third period of the Red Wings 4-1 victory over the Nashville Predators on Saturday (11/26) evening at Joe Louis Arena.  Eaves was transported to the Detroit Medical Center where he will remain overnight.  Further evaluation will take place over the next several days to determine if surgery is required.  No timetable has been set for Eaves’ return to the lineup.

Oh boy…And if you haven’t seen it, here’s what happened:

The Associated Press, NHL.com’s Brian Hedger, MLive’s Ansar Khan, the Free Press’s Helene St. James, DetroitRedWings.com’s Bill Roose, the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness and the Detroit News’s Chris McCosky all captured reaction from the Red Wings and Predators’ locker rooms:

“We don’t know how much the helmet helped,” said Henrik Zetterberg. “He was moving but obviously he was in a lot of pain.”

Eaves was to be held overnight for observation.

“It was a really scary play,” Babcock said. “He was too close to the guy to get hit in the ear. Obviously the puck escalated. He wasn’t trying to shoot it that high from that close.”

The shot came from rookie Roman Josi, playing in his first NHL game.

“I just wanted to one-time it and get it to the net,” Josi said. “It’s too bad I hit him. I hope he’s all right. You don’t want to see a player go down and be taken off on a stretcher. I felt bad. I said that to him and he said it’s all right and he’s going to be fine. That was good he stood up alone and got on the stretcher.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

Get better Patty.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/27/11 at 04:00 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

That had to hurt like getting shot!
Eaves is a loyal teamate & hard worker.

He will be sucking his food out of a straw for 6 weeks or so…

Ask Dan Cleary.  He sufffered a similar injury after being hit by William Tell.

Posted by w2j2 on 11/27/11 at 09:14 AM ET

Welcome back, George!

Posted by Judy from Toronto on 11/27/11 at 11:30 AM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Get well Patty! You were having such a great game too!

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 11/27/11 at 12:36 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Lot of class shown by the rookie to come over and apologize to Eaves as he was getting wheeled out.  You could tell that he was feeling bad about it, but really not his fault.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/27/11 at 02:51 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Hope it’s not a complicated injury requiring surgery.  Honestly, I thought the puck hit him above the ear and I feared a fractured skull.  I was a little surprised when they said it was the jaw.  Poor kid who hit him.  It was obviously not intentional.  What an awful memory of your first NHL game.

Get well soon, Patty.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/27/11 at 03:16 PM ET

Jeebus.  Twelve hours later, I still cringe.  Get well soon, Eaves.

Stick tap to NSH’s Josi.  That kid’s got Class.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/27/11 at 03:57 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

get well, Patty.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 11/27/11 at 05:01 PM ET

Posted for the first time here yesterday. Was pretty excited to see my countrymate playing his first NHL game vs. “my” team and now that ?!

My wishes for a great recovery to Patrick.

Chris #19