The Malik Report

Out Of Gas In The Motor City?

I just think the Wings emptied the tank while upsetting the Ducks. Frankly, it's remarkable what they've already accomplished this year, given the losses of defensemen Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart from last season, and this season's patchwork blue line. Chicago is just too deep and too talented. Blackhawks in 6.

Pierre LeBrun of ESPN, find out why...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

SSDD.

Especially coming from ESPN.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/15/13 at 03:33 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/15/13 at 03:33 PM ET

Okay… but is LeBrun wrong?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/15/13 at 03:34 PM ET

My only problem with it is that I don’t think that’ll be the reason the Wings lose. They aren’t going to lose because they went 7. Had they beat them in 6, I’d still expect the Wings to lose in 6. He says it himself they are deeper and blah blah blah. Going 7 against the Ducks wasn’t going to change the outcome of this series in my opinion.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 05/15/13 at 03:35 PM ET

SSDD.

Especially coming from ESPN.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/15/13 at 03:33 PM ET

+1340.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/15/13 at 03:36 PM ET

awould's avatar

My hope is that….

...Crawford chokes - entirely possible, maybe even expected

...Detroit’s youth continues to improve and provides key goals - reasonable chance

...Kane/Toews continue to get stymied - unlikely

...Franzen plays like he has something to prove, and then proves it - possible but I’m not holding my breath

If just 2 of these things happen, Detroit has a decent chance of winning the series.

Posted by awould on 05/15/13 at 03:38 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by tmoore4075 on 05/15/13 at 03:35 PM ET

Agreed. Given we played pretty dayum well the last few games of that series, we are carrying more momentum into this series IMO.
Everyone knew CHI was going to roll over Minny, so what carry over is there for the Hawks?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/15/13 at 03:40 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I would think the “emptied the tank” logic would have more traction if it was a full 82 game season.  Wings have had a few days to rest, Hawks have been off for a long time.

I still say all the pressure is on them.

Everything looks a certain way on paper but the games are decided on the ice.

GAME ON and LGRW!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/15/13 at 03:47 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Well, I get that everybody loves the Hawks, but I don’t frankly get why.  Not saying anything about how good they are, but how much people love them.  Is it really that these guys just love the teams that make the network more money?

Oh well.  Half the HNIC crew said we couldn’t hang with Anaheim, and I expect them to say same about this series.  Let’s just play.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/15/13 at 03:47 PM ET

ClintonVerley's avatar

This is what sports analysis is nowadays, a bunch of cliches and re-hashed crap.

Posted by ClintonVerley from Auburn Hills, MI on 05/15/13 at 03:48 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I feel just the opposite of LeBrun. The youth has drive and energy after tasting victory. That drive is contagious which can and will invigorate the drive of some veterans. Hank doesnt look like he wants to quit playing yet, why would any of the others want to? Make a statement before leaving the west.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/15/13 at 03:55 PM ET

SK77's avatar

If the Wings – on an empty tank – can take Chicago to 6 games then I like our team.

Posted by SK77 on 05/15/13 at 03:55 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

say what you want, but the pressure is on them.

Posted by detroitredwings on 05/15/13 at 04:09 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/15/13 at 03:34 PM ET

As others may have said…

He’s wrong because if the Wings are out of gas then they (the roster) doesn’t belong in the NHL. They had a shortish season and even though they even had to play lights out just to get in the playoffs…it’s still been a short season.

Chicago out-guns the Wings. Hell, they ARE the Wings from the first few years after the ‘04-‘05 lockout. IF the Wings lose ( I refuse to say they will), it’ll be because they just can’t match up to the Hawks. This out-of-gas BS is ludicrous.

And if someone uses that excuse for Howard because Howard played in 42 of 48 games…again…BS. No excuses of ‘we’re tired’ at this point because of the shortened season…AND…it’s the damned Cup. You have to give more then you have to win it all.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/15/13 at 04:10 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

And now that I remember it…not sure if it was Monkey or someone else who said this but…

Let’s burn it all down as we leave the West.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/15/13 at 04:10 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Did LeBrun play?  Didn’t think so, next.

/sarcasm

In all honesty though, I don’t know what series he was watching.  Wings didn’t look close to gassed and they got better every game.  They’re carrying momentum while Chicago has been sitting idle.

This series reminds me exactly of SF vs. DET in the World Series.  SF won a series they weren’t supposed to taking it to 7 games while DET has swept their series.  Tigers sat too long then got toasted by a weaker team carrying a lot of momentum.

Nothing about Detroits play leads me to believe they were running on fumes.  If anything they are galvanizing under pressure, combined with the hunger of our younger guys and the experience of our core guys.  I thin Lebrun’s gonna be eating crow.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/15/13 at 04:12 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Nothing about Detroits play leads me to believe they were running on fumes

agreed.  LeBrun is stuck in cliche land.

Meanwhile, what will he say about the Kings?  All of a sudden they look scary good again.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/15/13 at 04:23 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Lebrun must have got some of his Wings notes mixed up.

1) he’s surprised they beat Anaheim, because Detroit lost such key veterans - so they are a relatively young, inexperienced team

2) He believes they won’t beat the Hawks because they are out of gas - which would happen to an older team before a younger team, I would assume

But, I thought they lost age (Stuey, Lids, Raf, Homer), and replaced it with relative youth?

I agree with him with the Hawks in 6 prediction, but believe he gets there wrong. The Hawks are incredibly deep, they beat you by rolling quality line after quality line. Detroit won’t falter due to an “empty tank”, they will simply be beaten by a superior team.

Hawks will lose if

...Crawford has a sub-par series
...Detroit’s youngstars take their game to another level

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/15/13 at 04:50 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

I don’t buy the out of gas angle.  Two days off before the series, 2 days off after Game 1, and 2 days off between games 3 and 4, along with pretty much no travel.  They very well may lose, but I don’t think out of gas is why.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/15/13 at 05:01 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

Out of gas my ass.  This lawn mower is just warming up!

Lets GO Red Wings!

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 05/15/13 at 06:06 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

UNLESS…going 7 games led to Hank AND Jimmah getting injured.

Posted by The Hurricane on 05/15/13 at 06:10 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I don’t think the Wings are gassed at all.  they got significantly younger, the rookie line played a ton, the season was shortened, and it’s only the first round.  if they lose, it won’t be because of fatigue.  sheesh.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 07:14 PM ET