The Malik Report

Our ten-day Winter Classic warning

Amidst the hoopla and hyp of the NHL’s All-Star weekend died, the NHL’s Board of Governors met in Ottawa this past weekend, and Sportsnet’s John Shannon reports that the NHL and the Red Wings will probably announce their 2013 Winter Classic plans by February 7th (the Wings return from Phoenix on the 6th and host the Oilers on February 8th, so I’m guessing the 7th, at Comerica Park), which would give the league just enough time to allow Superbowl talk to fade before making the announcement we’re all expecting:

1. The Winter Classic in Detroit will be announced in the next 10 days. The 2013 version will go well beyond the Red Wings and the Maple Leafs. Oh sure there will be an Alumni game, but don’t be surprised if the AHL, NCAA and the OHL have roles in the event, with as many as five games within a few days of New Year’s Day. As we have mentioned here before, much of the year-end celebration will occur in downtown Detroit at Comerica Park, owned by the Illitch’s, with the big Original Six tilt in Ann Arbor.

Continued with discussion about the Coyotes, Devils and Blues’ ownership situations…

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Beware HBO.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/31/12 at 04:15 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Did you see how incredibly heavily the NHL 36 episode was edited? Expect more of that from the Wings’ side.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/31/12 at 04:29 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Fair enough.  They are probably mature enough guys to be cool about it as well I guess.  A look into that Washington dressing room made me shudder.  You can’t un-see that, and I wish I had left the veil up.  24/7 is like the Disney-named team - you can never take it back.  In both winter classics we’ve seen how a real game can’t mesh with a TV-edited plot-line (pretty sure Crosby getting destroyed was not the climax they were after last year), and this year the league seemed to have no compunction about allowing the refs some theatrical license.
To be jingoistic and overly-dramatic, but perfectly honest, I think this is the beginning of the end.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/31/12 at 05:07 AM ET

babymachine's avatar

I’m all for HBO 24/7 profiling the Wings. But according to sources, it’s not an absolute certainty, due to personnel changes at HBO.

It would be a shame if Lids retires right before we get an in-depth look at the locker room.

Posted by babymachine from Portland, Oregon by way of Macomb, Michigan on 01/31/12 at 06:54 AM ET

Stevis's avatar

Umm…“Ann Arbour”?  Snicker.

Posted by Stevis on 01/31/12 at 01:34 PM ET

One of the personnel changes though, was that the guy who created 24/7 hooked up with the NHL to create a production company.  So yeah, there might not be “24/7 Red Wings/Maple Leafs Road To The Winter Classic” on HBO, but if there isn’t then you can bet there’s going to be something similar playing the NHL Network and NBC Sports Network.

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 03:35 PM ET

babymachine's avatar

Very true. I’d prefer HBO though; some could do without the cursing, but it’s a part of the game. Perfect example: Mike Rupp chirping Jody Shelley in the last 24/7 series. Classic!

Posted by babymachine from Portland, Oregon by way of Macomb, Michigan on 01/31/12 at 03:40 PM ET