The Malik Report

Ouellet Recalled As The Wings Hit The Ice For Practice

via Ansar Khan tweet,

Wings have called up defenseman Xavier Ouellet from Grand Rapids. he's in the ice for practice.

Updates will come as needed.

added 12:06pm, via Chuck Pleiness tweet,

No Datsyuk. Kronwall. Alfredsson at practice. Zetterberg out there again.

added 12:24pm, another Pleiness tweet,

Zetterberg skating hard. Looks like he's very close to returning.

added 12:28pm, Khan tweet,

Lines: Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Abdelkader, Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco, Franzen-Helm-Nyquist, Miller/Andersson-Glendening-Legwand.

added 12:34pm, Khan with the defensive parings...

Defense pairs: Ouellet-Smith, DeKeyser-Quincey, Lashoff-Kindl.

added 12:50pm, Numerous beat writers report Zetterberg will skate tomorrow morning, talk to the doctors and if good to go, may play tomorrow night.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

George just texted me while he is driving around Sterling Heights..

Niklas Kronwall’s future Mrs. is due any day now. He’s probably pulling first-time daddy duty today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/23/14 at 11:15 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Wings have called up defenseman Xavier Ouellet from Grand Rapids. he’s in the ice for practice.

I’ll ask the same question I asked in George’s “tailings” post. If Ouellet actually plays, who sits – Kindl or Lashoff? My vote is for Kindl.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/23/14 at 11:16 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If Ouellet actually plays, who sits – Kindl or Lashoff?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/23/14 at 11:35 AM ET

My guess is neither Kindl or Lashoff are sitting. If Kronwall’s girlfriend is due any day now, then that’s probably the reason Ouellet is here. If anybody sits it would probably be Smith the way he has been playing and trying to do way more than he can or should. And we can’t afford to sit him.

Posted by ryan-o on 04/23/14 at 11:41 AM ET

SK77's avatar

Skate, Hank, Skate.

Posted by SK77 on 04/23/14 at 11:44 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Zetterberg skating hard. Looks like he’s very close to returning.

Frankly, I don’t like this.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/23/14 at 11:45 AM ET

Paul's avatar

via Khan,

Zetterberg said today was his first real good practice. Doesn’t sound like he’s playing tomorrow but wouldn’t completely rule it out.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/23/14 at 11:53 AM ET

I doubt Z is playing tomorrow. First real practice today, see how he feels, sit out on Thursday, go thru another practice and then maybe just maybe, play in Game 5

Posted by George0211 on 04/23/14 at 12:05 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Dana Wakiji tweet,

Ouelette said he wasn’t told anything other than come practice with Wings. But ready to go if called upon.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/23/14 at 12:07 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

The way things have been going if Z comes back early its a toss up if he valiantly leads the wings to a win or gets his back targeted by the goons and sits out the summer and fall recovering.

Posted by aerodude on 04/23/14 at 12:09 PM ET

Don’t force Z back when it isn’t even desperate yet. And by the time it is desperate, it’ll probably be too late. So do t force him back for a series that might already be over.

And I’d assume they bring Ouellet in for offense. Lashoff can afford to sit. Quincey’s offensive efforts make me want to cry too. Kindl hasn’t been any worse or better than Smith or…anyone, really.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 04/23/14 at 12:10 PM ET

Paul's avatar

St. James tweet,

Mike Babcock said Zetterberg was filling in for Pavel Datsyuk (wife having baby) and Xavier Ouellet for Niklas Kronwall (also baby duty)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/23/14 at 12:16 PM ET

For christ’s sake…nobody is going to FORCE Zetterberg into the lineup. If the doctors clear him to play, then he’ll play because he wants to be in there.

If Ouelette can shoot a puck within 3 feet of the Boston net then he should replace either Smith or Kindl.

Posted by godblender on 04/23/14 at 12:17 PM ET

St. James tweet,

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/23/14 at 01:16 PM ET

Oh, I for some reason thought Datsyuk was divorced. I remember reading that somewhere.

Posted by George0211 on 04/23/14 at 12:17 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Babcock now telling media if docs say Z can go, he will play, but haven’t talked about it at this point.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/23/14 at 12:22 PM ET

Lets add Dats and Kronner to those who thought 9 months ago that the Wings would never make the playoffs this season.

smile

Posted by lancer on 04/23/14 at 12:23 PM ET

If Z himself wants to take the risk, I say let him. The risk of trauma leading to another herniated disc is the same now as it will be in October or any time really. It’s the part they surgically cut open and stitched up you have to worry about and right now it’s probably about as healed as it’s going to get for this time of year. I would assume he would be wearing something to protect it (even though it won’t keep players from targeting his back, crosschecking him and what not). If the doctors say’s it’s okay, it’s probably okay. If he gets banged up there I don’t think it will lead to a setback or a career-ending injury like the pessimistic fearmongerers keep worrying about.

Is an out-of-shape 70% Zetterberg better than the guy he’s going to replace (Jurco most likely)? IMO, undoubtedly. He had a tremendous playoff run last year and even playing with a bad back was on pace for a career season.

Posted by ryan-o on 04/23/14 at 12:25 PM ET

Kindl led the team with 4 shots on goal last night.

Really tired of seeing people dump on him for no reason. He had a rough year. Lots of Red Wings did.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 04/23/14 at 12:45 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 04/23/14 at 01:45 PM ET

Everyone’s just dumping on their least favorite players now without any sort of a clue. #BecauseIt’sTheCup

Posted by SK77 on 04/23/14 at 12:50 PM ET

He was definitely divorced and his daughter and former wife lives in Russia. Did he get married again?

Posted by VPalmer on 04/23/14 at 01:29 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

It’s not necessarily for no reason (Boston’s tenacity, speed and length on the forecheck has made his shaky puck-in-defensive-end play really noticeably a problem but the same could be said for every single defenseman on the team and Kindl still doesn’t do a good job of keeping the puck in the zone) but it is definitely overblown.  We, collectively, sound like Flyers fans here with our whining and turning on our team.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/23/14 at 01:30 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Well it would help if Kindl could, actually, you know, defend.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/23/14 at 01:31 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

When the team is losing people pick on their favorite scapegoats. As being a team in transition and dealing with many injuries the Red Wings have fared well. Expect quite a few changes next season no what happens during these playoffs.

Posted by bigfrog on 04/23/14 at 01:31 PM ET

Doctors should be able to determine if there is a risk of to reinjure for Z. If there is no risk, obviously Z will be a welcome addition even at 50% capacity.
And if last week we could have an argument of who will sit as everybody was playing so well, now I guess pretty much any forward can sit and there should be no argument. Our best forward yesterday was Abby imo and when Abby is your best forward, things are not going well.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/23/14 at 01:33 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

He stated in an interview last year that he wanted to spend the summer being a good husband and father, so he must be married.  In a pic he tweeted about his birthday celebration he is hugging a woman that looks like his first/same? wife.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 04/23/14 at 01:35 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Well it would help if Kindl could, actually, you know, defend.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/23/14 at 02:31 PM ET

It’s funny, I’d say that was the part of the game that’s the least shaky right now.  He’s a wreck with the puck in the defensive end, gets a ton of shots blocked from the blueline on the offensive end, but I feel like his defensive zone play has not been terrible.

He was even in game 2, -1 in game three, but then again so was just about everyone on the team (except everyone’s other favorite whipping boys; Smith, Quincey, Franzen and Legwand at 0 +/-).  Stats don’t tell the whole story, of course, but just from the eye test Kindl was no more ineffective than anyone else including Datsyuk and Nyquist who accomplished basically nothing the entire game.

Kindl’s not good, but right now none of the Wings look good.  Except maybe Tatar and Drew Miller.  They seem to make a lot out of very little. And maybe Kronwall, who is just overwhelmed.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/23/14 at 01:40 PM ET

They need to sit Lashoff, Ouellet plays with some passion, is fast and has good puck skills, that should be a nice counter to Boston’s forecheck.  Lashoff handles the puck like a grenade.  Kindl is what he is, soft and overrated, hopefully he is included in any housecleaning this team goes about doing.

Posted by bababooey on 04/23/14 at 02:46 PM ET

Kindl led the team with 4 shots on goal last night.

Is that a good thing?

Posted by Garth on 04/23/14 at 02:52 PM ET

Is that a good thing?

It’s not a bad thing.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 04/23/14 at 02:59 PM ET

Subbing Lashoff or Kindl for Quellette will not make any difference in the outcome of the series. As bad as our defense is (according to some), none of 3 goals were allowed because of defensive mistakes.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/23/14 at 03:18 PM ET

From wikipedia: when he was 18, Datsyuk met Svetlana in Sverdlovsk, Russia. They married three years later, and had a daughter named Elizabeth in 2004. They divorced in 2010.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/23/14 at 04:10 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

A.  Weird why you care about his marital status.  Must be a Facebook thing to need to know nkoow.

Second.  Oullette would help the transition game and generate offense

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/23/14 at 04:19 PM ET

Hockeytown, obviously I do not care about players’ marital status, but just want to make sure if I read an article, the info there is correct.
You might be right about Quelette helping the transition game. Sproul might actually help the PP. And you know who else might help the PP - Smith.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/23/14 at 04:49 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Weird you feel a need to criticize what others want to know.  Must be a twitter thing need to bitch and cast aspersions.

I’m curious about Datsyuk’s familiar status because I really like the dude and it’s really cool to hear he’s having a kid.and, presumably, happy.  He’s, previously, seemed to take fatherhood seriously, and to be saddened by his wife and daughter not living in America.  Does that knowledge affect me one way or the other?  No, of course not.  But it doesn’t mean I can’t have an interest in another aspect of one of my favorite players lives.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/23/14 at 06:19 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Asking about players’ marital statuses is tricky and while I do not have my “ear to the ground” on these things, I will tell you that if I wanted to run a blog reporting all of the rumors and innuendo I hear about the players, I could, but I choose to stick to the hockey stuff and to allow the players’ personal lives—as long as they do not affect their ability to perform as professional athletes—to be personal.

Here’s what I know, however:

1. Kronwall’s Mrs. is not quite a Mrs. as it’s not surprising for Swedes to marry after they have kids or not get married period. Her name is Katinka and she’s 11 years older than Niklas.

2. According to a Russian gossip website which someone pointed me to, the former Mrs. Pavel has chosen to remain in Yekaterinburg, and that was a factor in their divorce. There is a new Mrs. Pavel, named Maria, and she’s been Mrs. Pavel for 2 years now.

That’s all I’m gonna say and I hope that clarifies things to the point that we can wish them all well and hope that everyone is healthy and that the moms aren’t in too much pain.

If this gets me in trouble it gets me in trouble, and if you feel it’s inappropriate to divulge this much information, that’s fine, but this is as far as I tend to go. I’ve seen my share of embarrassing online things posted (we all do it) and heard stuff from people who pay attention to the rumors about players’ personal lives, but I do not pay much, if any attention to any of that stuff.

So congratulations to Niklas and Katinka and congratulations to Pavel and Maria.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/23/14 at 06:31 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I think you’re well within the realm of respect for the player’s privacy while also satisfying fan’s curiosity.  I don’t think any of us want to turn this into a TMZ like level of revealing.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/23/14 at 06:49 PM ET