The Malik Report

Only you and the other ‘experts,’ Mr. Maloney

If you weren’t watching the Red Wings’ sweep of the Phoenix Coyotes on Fox Sports Detroit on Wednesday, you probably heard a familiar refrain from announcers on both the CBC and Versus: “And I picked the Coyotes!” Despite the fact that the Coyotes painted themselves as the consummate underdogs, a good 2/3rds of the media declared that the Coyotes would pull off an upset against an aging, fragile and injured Red Wings team backstopped by a shaky goaltender in Jimmy Howard. According to NHL.com’s Jerry Brown, Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney entertained similar thoughts ten days ago:

“I’m disappointed to be standing here so early,” Maloney said Friday as Coyotes packed up their gear and went through exit meetings at Jobing.com Arena. “I thought going into the playoffs we were better position to give Detroit a battle. I thought Detroit was vulnerable—they were a little banged up—but they really ratcheted up their game and we just didn’t.

“We’ll have to go back and look to see where we came up short. Going and losing four straight is just not acceptable. We’re going to figure out what went wrong and we’re going to fix it. We have enough players to play with anyone in this League … to blame franchise woes for the performance of the team is a cop-out to me. I won’t accept it.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

It must have been hard for the guys to play hard when their ownership and future in Glendale was/is questionable. Bryzgalov not wanting to go to Winnipeg is a great example of how guys have other things on their minds while playing the games.

Posted by Sandwiches1123 from Thunder Bay, ON, Canada on 04/23/11 at 02:11 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

I was surprised there were only about 20% of the picks for the Yotes in NNPT this year.  I thought for sure the media was banging the Wings upset drum a-plenty during the run up to the second season puck drop.

Posted by The Meal on 04/23/11 at 02:13 AM ET

Can’t say I am really shocked that a lot of the media picked the Coyotes.  Even at the start of the season once again they *all* delaired that the Red Wings were too old to do anything, their time is over, etc even though they had just touted how amazing is was that tey pulled off another play off appearance last year dispite all the injuries.

Doesn’t matter how far the Wings go this post season come training camp - they’ll be too old and washed up again according to 90% of the media.

Posted by Monica McAlister on 04/23/11 at 06:35 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It didn’t shock me, either. I was more amused than anything else when I heard so many broadcasters say, “And I picked the Coyotes!”

They played hard and gave the Wings a run for their money—it’s the closest “sweep” I’ve ever seen by far. I’m not begrudging Phoenix, I’m taking a little glee in the fact that the Wings just roll along as the years and predictions of their imminent demise roll by.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/23/11 at 06:58 AM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

It’s an easy prediction to make and might be true some day.  And then no one will remember they have been wrong about it for 20+ years, they won’t even acknowledge it and finally get to say ‘see, too old, i told you so’.......well maybe.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 04/23/11 at 10:49 AM ET

calquake's avatar

One scribe to another: “See!  I told you the Roman Empire would fall.  Those guys are too old and slow.”  LOL

Posted by calquake on 04/23/11 at 01:54 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

It’s just amazing to me that every year, every sports “expert” says the same thing…old/slow/tired/bad goaltending.  Then every year the Wings do good.

You’d think after all the years they’d think up something new to say.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/23/11 at 09:33 PM ET