The Malik Report
by George Malik on 10/23/13 at 09:58 AM ET
From DetroitRedWings.com's Christy Hammond, here's a friendly reminder about the charitable thrust of Saturday's game against the New York Rangers:
The Detroit Red Wings will host Hockey Fights Cancer Night presented by Van Andel Institute - Purple CommunitySM this Saturday, Oct. 26, when the Wings host the New York Rangers at 7:00 p.m. (FOX Sports Detroit & 97.1 The Ticket).
The Red Wings are one of seven NHL teams that will celebrate their Hockey Fights Cancer Night game this month with all-lavender dasherboards, which is the color that represents awareness for all forms of cancer. All fans in attendance will receive a purple rally towel courtesy of the Van Andel Institute, and fans are encouraged to wear purple to Saturday’s game.
Other Hockey Fights Cancer Activities:
• Red Wings will hold a bone marrow registration drive done in partnership with Delete Blood Cancer DKMS behind Section 126 on the concourse. By doing a quick cheek swab, fans will have the opportunity to be added to the Be The Match Registry®.
• Following the game, fans who purchased tickets through a special offer will pose for a group photo with defenseman Jakub Kindl in the shape of a purple ribbon on the ice.
• Select players will use lavender hockey tape on their stick during the game that will then be auctioned off at a later date on Auctions.NHL.com.
• Fans will be asked to write a name of someone they know who has been impacted by cancer on a sign and then hold up the sign at the second TV timeout following the 10-minute mark of the first period to celebrate cancer survivors in their lives.
• The Red Wings and Van Andel Institute will host a “Survivor Suite” with five cancer survivors and their families.
• Captain Henrik Zetterberg will welcome pediatric cancer patients at Children’s Hospital of Michigan along with their families in the Zetterberg Foundation Suite.
• A portion of the Detroit Red Wings Foundation’s 50/50 raffle on Saturday will benefit the Van Andel Institute.
• Fans can visit the Purple Community table on the concourse to have their pictures taken in a purple photo booth with photos being posted on the Purple Community Facebook page.
• Earlier in the day, the Red Wings will host local cancer patients and survivors along with their guests at the team’s morning skate practice.
The event is part of the annual Hockey Fights Cancer Awareness Month in October, an initiative founded by the NHL and NHLPA in December 1998 to raise money and awareness for hockey’s most important fight. To date, more than $12.8 million has been raised under the Hockey Fights Cancer initiative to support national and local cancer research institutions, children’s hospitals, player charities and local cancer organizations.
Van Andel Institute (VAI) is a biomedical research and science education organization based in Grand Rapids, MI. VAI has more than 200 scientists studying over a dozen different types of cancer. Purple Community is VAI’s grassroots fundraising initiative. Thanks to the efforts of students, businesses and community members, more than $900,000 has already been generated for cancer and neurodegenerative research. Fans can learn more about the work at VAI and Purple Community on the concourse and throughout the game.
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Malik Report
The Malik Report is a destination for all things Red Wings-related. I offer biased, perhaps unprofessional-at-times and verbose coverage of my favorite team, their prospects and developmental affiliates. I've joined the Kukla's Korner family with five years of blogging under my belt, and I hope you'll find almost everything you need to follow your Red Wings at a place where all opinions are created equal and we're all friends, talking about hockey and the team we love to follow.