The Malik Report

One Capitals columnist believes a Mike Green trade would yield Gustav Nyquist in return from Wings

The Mike Green trade talk has almost entirely originated from Detroit-area sportswriters (though NBC Washington's Adam Vignan poured some cold water on the theory that Green's going to be traded at all), so Comcast Sportsnet Washington's Chuck Gormley's examination of a possible Green-to-the-Red-Wings scenario merits mentioning...

Especially given that Gormley believes that the 28-going-on-29-year-old Green, concussions, knee, back and groin issues and $6.083 cap hit included, is worth at least a Wings 28-goal-scorer in return:

The Caps are in need of a second-line center and Trotz has spoken glowingly of Red Wings center Gustav Nyquist, a 24-year-old Swede who seemed to  come out of nowhere [he was taken with the 121st pick of the 2008 draft] to score 28 goals last season.

Nyquist is entering the second year of a two-year contract that pays him $1.05 million next season with a $950,000 cap hit. Green is entering the final year of a contract that pays him $6.25 million and carries a cap hit of roughly $6.1 million. With that in mind, the Caps would need to sweeten any offer for Nyquist.

Gormely also suggests that the Caps would have their pick of the Eastern and Western Conference's available centers if they offer him up for auction...

If the Caps are interested in moving Green for a second-line center who, like himself, is headed toward free agency next summer, that list of potential candidates includes Boston’s David Krejci, 28, Nashville’s Mike Fisher, 34, and Arizona’s Antoine Vermette, 31.

Or, they could trade contracts with the Colorado Avalanche, exchanging Green for 23-year-old center Ryan O’Reilly, who is likely to make $6 million next season when or if his case goes to arbitration.

There is also the intrigue of Jumbo Joe Thornton, a 35-year-old beast of a center who may be looking for a change of scenery after signing a three-year, $20.25 million contract extension with San Jose that carries a $6.75 million cap hit. Thornton proved he is still one of the best set-up men in the league last season with 65 assists and 76 points.

But Gormely isn't sure whether the Capitals will move Green at all:

If Green is removed from the Caps’ defensive equation, the season-opening combinations will have a completely different look, with Orpik, Carlson, Alzner and Niskanen filling the top four slots and some combination of Jack Hillen, John Erskine, Connor Carrick and Nate Schmidt making up the third pairing.

The question facing the Caps is whether they are willing to weaken their blue line at the expense of strengthening themselves down the middle. Only time will provide that answer.

My reaction to Gormley's suggestions reads as follows:

Update: Meanwhile in reality land, per the Washington Post's Alex Prewitt...

The moment Capitals development camp broke, Coach Barry Trotz boarded a northbound plane to attend a reunion celebrating the two-decade anniversary of the AHL’s Portland Pirates winning the Calder Cup. He was an up-and-comer then, in his early 30s and following the team on its migration from Baltimore to Maine, a vital cog in the organization he would later rejoin as Capitals head coach.

“It’s a special group,” Trotz said Saturday. “You always have special bonds, so I’m going to get up there.”

...

Frustrated fans could certainly conjure any number of definitions or examples to categorize the term over recent seasons, like a lack of defensive depth, or constant upheaval at head coach, or the pervasive second-line center issues, or the franchise’s first postseason absence since 2006-07. So here comes Trotz, the man known for connecting with his players, seeking, as owner Ted Leonsis has called it, a “refresh.”

Part of this will mean creating a leadership group, serving as liaisons between the locker room and coaches. Defenseman Mike Green will be on it, Trotz told CSN, and others will follow.

“To me, to be in the leadership group you’ve got to become a good role model,” he said. “And you’ve got to be a role model for everybody and you’ve got to be a coach’s voice. When things are going a little bit awry, then I think you have to have the communication between that group and myself. That group has got to get the coaching staff and the organizational message to everybody in that room. That’s what leadership is. I’m giving them the opportunity to be a part of that. If they embrace it, I think it could be a very powerful group.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Mex-eye-can-dy's avatar

Yeah that’ll happen

Posted by Mex-eye-can-dy on 07/16/14 at 03:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I will pretend I am at HFBoards…

“Washington should have signed off on the trade yesterday.”

“Detroit gets taken to wood shed on this one.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/16/14 at 03:42 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Reasons I posted this entry:

1. To illustrate the return *other teams* might expect for Green;

2. Excuse to play, “Who’s Got the Crack.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/16/14 at 03:46 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

If the Caps are interested in moving Green for a second-line center….If Green is removed from the Caps’ defensive equation….

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts…....

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blather.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/16/14 at 03:47 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

Isn’t Gormley a former Wings beat writer?  That guy should know better.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 07/16/14 at 03:50 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

Strike that.  He’s a former Philly beat writer.  That’s why his name looked familiar.

I could see Philly management signing off on a deal that insane, so maybe Gormley doesn’t know better.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 07/16/14 at 03:52 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Some good humour on a quiet Wednesday!

Good luck Gormley, LOL

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 07/16/14 at 03:52 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I thought people would be amused by this. We kind of need a laugh here—as well as a reality check regarding where things “start” in terms of other teams talking about “helping” the Wings…

But mostly, we needed a laugh.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/16/14 at 03:54 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I have a hard time believing there are many Michiganders who are that easily offended.

Posted by awould on 07/16/14 at 04:05 PM ET

That is funny.  And true.  It’s funny and true.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/16/14 at 03:58 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

Ken Holland traded a 2nd-round pick, Patrick Eaves and Calle Jarnkrok for a David Legwand rental, gave Kyle Quincey a raise and re-signed Dan Cleary. If I’m laughing at this, I’m laughing nervously.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 07/16/14 at 04:27 PM ET

I’m beginning to think Ken Holland has it.

Posted by TommyP on 07/16/14 at 04:32 PM ET

LoveMyRedWings53's avatar

LOL If this beat writer had done his homework, He would know that Nyquist is a Winger not a Center and Detroits not giving up Nyquist for a 1 year rental with Green. We would do Myers Instead.

Posted by LoveMyRedWings53 from Winter Haven, Florida on 07/16/14 at 04:48 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I really do believe that the Wings are planning on naming Nyquist captain at some point. I don’t see him going anywhere.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/16/14 at 04:52 PM ET

LoveMyRedWings53's avatar

I see that Nyquist has played some Center but he prefers to play the Wing.

Posted by LoveMyRedWings53 from Winter Haven, Florida on 07/16/14 at 04:53 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I have said it before and I will say it again.  Mike Green is worse than Brian Lashofff.  I would not trade a sack of used practice pucks for him, but some think he is Mr. Wonderful.  Watch him glide about and let odd man rushes happen while he is doing whatever he does.  He must be ADHD, since he does not seem to be able to focus on what is happening around him.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 07/16/14 at 05:00 PM ET

LoveMyRedWings53's avatar

I agree with George I could see Nyquist being our future Captain after Zetterberg retires. In a few years other then that Nyquist is going nowhere.

Posted by LoveMyRedWings53 from Winter Haven, Florida on 07/16/14 at 05:05 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I’m not saying he sounds like a crack head, just crack-ish

Posted by Hootinani on 07/16/14 at 05:10 PM ET

gowings's avatar

. Excuse to play, “Who’s Got the Crack.”

love it! I like to play that game LOL

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/16/14 at 05:14 PM ET

The Caps are in need of a second-line center and Trotz has spoken glowingly of Red Wings center Gustav Nyquist, a 24-year-old Swede who seemed to come out of nowhere [he was taken with the 121st pick of the 2008 draft] to score 28 goals last season.

The ganja is too much in this one.

He didn’t come out of nowhere.  All of the amateur scouts knew about him and passed over him in the draft.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/16/14 at 05:32 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 07/16/14 at 05:27 PM ET

I’m not even laughing. Add to that bad trade the trade to get KFQ, re-signing KFQ and giving him a seven figure raise, and re-signing Cleary.

So no, I would not be surprised, shocked or amazed if Kenny made this deal. I’d be pissed off and want him tarred and feathered, but I would not be surprised, shocked or amazed. After getting over being pissed off, I would resign myself to the Darkness of Harkness II: The Horror of Holland. Kenny seems hell-bent on ruining this team rather than improving it.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/16/14 at 06:41 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/16/14 at 07:41 PM ET

Wow, you of all people.

What is going on right now is so far off from the Ned Harkness days.  To compare the two is laughable.  The Wings were never a good team under Harkness let alone have NHL superstars on the team.  I’ll wait and see what the next few years brings.  I almost hope KH and Babs do leave so you can all get a taste of what real mediocrity looks like.

Posted by calquake on 07/16/14 at 07:40 PM ET

Typically i would laugh at such craziness, but who would have thought we would have seem quincey and cleary again.

Posted by chrispiannt on 07/16/14 at 08:13 PM ET

Ditto.  There aren’t a lot of fanbases who can make themselves more miserable with more success than Detroit’s fanbase.

To the issue of Nyquist, while I think a straight up trade for Green is insanity, I think the notion that Nyquist is a 28 goal scorer is also a bit nutty.  I mean, he did score 28 goals so in that sense he did it so he is, technically, one… I just don’t think that’s a very fair expectation for his production moving forward in much the same way I don’t think expecting 34 out of Franzen would be fair, either.  I think we’ve seen Peak Nyquist.

The thing that makes me most nervous about projecting Nyquist out is how his shooting percentage and shooting rate work.  He’s historically been a guy who struggles to get even to just 3 shots a game, so in order to get significantly into the 20’s he’s got to convert deep into the 15%‘s.  That’s pretty deep water.

I suspect Nyquist’s standard level of production will be somewhere in the 17-20 goal range with a point total that relies much more on assists than it did last year.  Throughout his career Nyquist has been a 1.5ish assists per goal guy.  Last year, due in part to team injuries and in part to a bodacious shooting percentage, that ratio pretty much inverted.  Something like 19 goals 30 assists would be an excellent production rate, IMO.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/16/14 at 08:15 PM ET

There is no need for Washington to trade Green. Yes, he will be their #4-6 dman this season and at $6 mil, it’s not ideal, but only 1 year left on his deal. If he had 2+ years left paying him that much, I can see him moving him. But as of now, he will help them on a PP (no matter how bad defensively he is), so IF Caps trade him, they should aim high.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/16/14 at 08:28 PM ET

Burr87's avatar

No flippin way. This is what I worry about the most. Panic moves. I would like to think Gus is an untouchable but the way things are going these days who knows. I hope Kenny has enough sanity not to do something that would really take a hit to our future for an average at best, always injured veteran whose best days our probably behind him. I know, but he’s right handed,blah blah blah. Go with your kids. Save us the anxiety, I’ve had enough this summer already.

Posted by Burr87 on 07/16/14 at 08:28 PM ET

Agree and have been saying the same previously. His maturity level at 24, the way he talks, the way he does not complain about being sent to GR, etc screams future captain material. Tatar, on the other hand…. But I love watching Tatar on the ice.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/16/14 at 08:32 PM ET

Mike Green is worse than Brian Lashofff

Let’s not get overboard here. It’s debatable who is better defensively, but offensively Green is exactly the type of player we need to jump start our transition game and PP.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/16/14 at 08:34 PM ET

This is what I worry about the most. Panic moves

Legitimate worry. Too many panic moves lately. If McKenzie rumor that KH offered Tatar AND Nyquist for Iginla at the 2013 deadline are true, I could see those 2 traded for the likes of Myers and one of them for Green. If PP continues to struggle early, I can see Babcock putting more and more pressure on KH to get him a right handed dman.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/16/14 at 08:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If Nyquist keeps up his career shot pace (2.24 shots per game), he would need to shoot 10.8% to hit 20.

Deep into the 15%‘s gets him above the 28 he scored last season.

Last season, his shot rate was 2.68/game.

That changes things to a requirement to shoot 9% to get to the 20 goal threshold where shooting at 15% gives him 33.

I understand a concern about his shot rate dropping along with the near-certain regression in his shooting percentage. If I were given even money odds and were forced to bet on whether he’d hit 28 goals again, I’d probably say no; but I don’t think it’s crazy to say he’s got a decent shot at it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/16/14 at 09:08 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

this is horsepoop at its finest. Wont happen. Lets just play some hockey and stay healthy.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/16/14 at 10:01 PM ET

calquake's avatar

this is horsepoop at its finest.

You mean there’s degrees of horsepoop?

Posted by calquake on 07/16/14 at 10:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/16/14 at 09:15 PM ET

Oh good, now they’re going to lump me in with the likes of you. cheese

Posted by calquake on 07/16/14 at 10:12 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Thanks for the laugh George.

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 07/16/14 at 10:13 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

But mostly, we needed a laugh.

Thanks George. I needed a good fairy tale today.

Posted by bigfrog on 07/16/14 at 10:23 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Here’s a little excerpt from Greg Eno’s “Out of Bounds” regarding Harkness.

They even have a name for Ned’s time here: Darkness with Harkness. Because after Ned became the GM, and after he had traded away most of the Red Wings’ best players, never getting face value in return, hockey fans in Detroit got cranky. So did the players themselves. Players like Bergman, who was forever at odds with Ned and the front office, it seemed.

One of Ned’s most dastardly deeds, in my mind, was when he fired coach Johnny Wilson in 1973. The Red Wings had barely missed the playoffs, and Wilson had been credited with taking Ned’s chicken feathers and turning it into chicken salad. Wilson was a bright, young NHL coach who could have really been something in Detroit. But Ned fired him anyway.

I saw Wilson about two years ago as I prepared to monitor a roundtable discussion about hockey with Johnny, Ted Lindsay, and Shawn Burr. I told Johnny what I thought of Harkness’s decision to fire him.

“I always thought you got shafted,” I told Wilson, though I don’t think I used the word “shafted.”

Wilson smirked and shrugged.

“Darkness with Harkness,” was all he said.

It was all that needed to be said.

Posted by calquake on 07/16/14 at 10:31 PM ET

So long as we wouldn’t have to throw in Cleary.

Posted by Noodlearm on 07/16/14 at 10:37 PM ET

One Capitals columnist dreams a Mike Green trade would yield Gustav Nyquist in return from Wings

Zetterberg, Tatar and a 1st to Phoenix (erm, Arizona) for Yandle has been tossed around the internet by the press in Arizon.. (erm, Phoenix).

Posted by neffernin on 07/16/14 at 10:52 PM ET

At least we know who has the crack…

Posted by Garth on 07/16/14 at 11:01 PM ET

Kwood1530's avatar

Nyquist doesnt even play center

Posted by Kwood1530 on 07/17/14 at 07:55 AM ET

Crater's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/16/14 at 10:08 PM ET

Especially since the increased performance we due to need and increased responsibility… so just keep giving it to him. Play him on the top 6 and let him keep doing what he proved he could handle.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 07/17/14 at 07:06 PM ET