The Malik Report

On a sad day for Red Wings fans, Tomas Holmstrom provides a necessary laugh track

This was found and posted in an evening post about Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement, but on a day that marks the end of an era—and the beginning of a mourning period for Red Wings fans as Nicklas Lidstrom has chosen to retire—Tomas Holmstrom spoke to the Windsor Star’s Dave Waddell and the Wings’ media corps for five minutes, and while he may be repeating Lidstrom’s presser in a few weeks, something tells me there will be tears…

And lots of laughter. Watch Homer and smile, folks, because Red Wings Nation’s faces have been too long today, my own included:

Update: Thankfully, the London Free Press’s Morris Dalla Costa was nearby:

“I’m going to miss him for sure especially since he’s moving back to Sweden,” Holmstrom said. “Whatever happens to me, I will stay one year and see what happens. He is my best friend. He took care of me my first year, helped me get a car, a place, showed me the ropes. We had a lot of laughs.”

Before the press conference former Wing Darren McCarty said to Holmstrom, “I’ll get you some tissues.”

“I’ll need them,” Holmstrom said.

“It’s a sad day for the Detroit Red Wings,” Holmstrom continued. “He didn’t know what he was going to do. ‘Yes, no. No, yes. Maybe. I have no idea.’ He was all over the place.”

But if there was one thing Holmstrom knew about Lidstrom it was how good and calm a leader he was.

“I don’t think he gets mad,” Holmstrom said. “I never hear him raise his voice to his kids. He’s pretty calm. He never raises his voice at me even when he’s pissed at me. He says ‘now Tomas, relax, breathe.’ ‘’

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I just love this guy – but I hope he hangs his skates up right along with Nick (or the Wings decide to do it for him). It’s time to let the young guys (like Andersson) get a chance. But I also hope that the Wings keep Homer on as the Net-Front-Presence Coach.

And that will be doubly important if the Wings end up signing Parise. He has the same kind of “warrior” mentality that Homer does. He already parks himself in front of the opposing goalie and takes a ton of abuse. He just doesn’t have the same level of finesse that Homer does.

With a year of “guidance” from the Master of Puck Tipping, he could be the most feared net-front presence in the game. And if the guy shooting those pucks at the net happens to be Ryan Suter, so much the better.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/01/12 at 01:09 AM ET

1, ‘now Tomas, relax, breathe.’ Words for life.
2. George, thanks for all of this effort this week (and in general), but make sure you get some sleep.

Posted by Bugsy on 06/01/12 at 02:36 AM ET

calquake's avatar

I know Red Wing Nation is mourning over Lidstrom but I, for one, am gonna miss Homer just as much.  That angry chipmunk gave everything he had every shift.  Talent was never Homer’s strong suit but he used every ounce of will to win.  If Franzen played with Homer’s heart he’d score in the high 40’s every season.

Posted by calquake on 06/01/12 at 02:44 AM ET

Man, I would really like to know why bettman has such a hard-on for the Red Wings.  It is obvious he has a huge problem with Detroit. Can anyone please explain this.  Based on said question, I’m really nervous that IF Detroit were able to land Suter and Parise, bettman will give the Wings the david-stern-nix lakers-chris-paul-trade.  Anybody know if under the existing CBA, NHL employees are permitted to directly talk with UFA’s, their agents or managers?  I suggesting bettman, nhl strongarm tactics.

Cheers.

Posted by beelza on 06/01/12 at 05:14 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Regardless of whether you’re serious…

I have been told by people who know better than I do that agents are free to call GM’s and, say, suggest that if player X were available for Y years at Z dollars, would they be interested, with Y and Z changing depending on a GM’s “yes” or “no” answers…

And I have been told that these conversations happen not only after July 1st and before the trade deadline, but between mid-February and the end of June as well.

I have also been told that GM’s may speak to player agents and ask about how their other clients are doing in passing, because that’s not tampering, either.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/01/12 at 05:24 AM ET

Sunday's avatar

I maintain that Homer will be every bit as difficult as Nick to replace, if not impossible, for different reasons.  Any kid playing hockey would love to be Nick—impeccable vision, hockey sense, presence, skills, elegance, the whole thing—but how many would actively choose to get whacked, hijacked and abused for a career?

Posted by Sunday from somewhere else on 06/01/12 at 01:14 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by calquake on 06/01/12 at 01:44 AM ET

Amen. We should start a campaign to promote Kate’s Idea to have his hockey pants hung over the opposing goal at the Joe.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/01/12 at 01:28 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 06/01/12 at 12:28 PM ET

+19 Cap’n

If Homer is gone too, How much more whiskey dick will our PP become? Buhler? Buhler?

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 06/01/12 at 10:09 PM ET