The Malik Report

Oilers’ Andy Sutton doesn’t dig the Shanaban process

You know how, every once in a while, someone makes an incredibly astute observation and then chooses to continue speaking, sticking his or her foot in their mouth in the process? Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton, who just happens to find himself suspended for eight games, told the Edmonton Sun’s Derek Van Diest that he feels players must be allowed to appeal their suspensions, lest NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan turns into the same sort of wheel-of-justice-spinning totalitarian as his predecessor, Colin Campbell…

“There absolutely should be (an appeal process),” Sutton said. “My only course of action is that I can appeal to Gary Bettman. That’s not going to change anything. Going forward in the new CBA we have to make strides in that regard. We should have an impartial arbitration committee that’s going to take a look at this have my people on my side, have the NHL on their side and have an independent party that’s going to make these decisions. It’s not just one guy making all these decisions.”

Sutton was allowed to state his case on both occasions with Shanahan. The first time he travelled to New York to meet in person. In regards to the Ponikarovsky hit, Sutton spoke his piece over the phone. Had Sutton believed he could have swayed Shanahan’s opinion, the six-foot-six, 245-pound defenceman would have probably made the trip. However, he’s in a growing group of people around the game that is frustrated with the process.

“It’s a big hot-button issue for the NHLPA going into the next negotiation, it has to be,” Sutton said. “You can’t have it set up when it’s just Shanahan’s decision and then your only course of action is to go to his boss [Gary Bettman—George’s note], who has never played a game of hockey in his life. How is that a good setup? It’s not. It’s a flawed process, and it needs to be changed. You can’t just go around taking people’s money.”

That being said, Sutton doesn’t seem to be all that remorseful about the hits which led to his suspensions, and instead, he’s tossing out the, “It’s the player I hit who’s at fault if he doesn’t keep his head up” theory:

“Obviously I wasn’t very happy about it. They make the decisions and unfortunately we have to live with them. I don’t have much in the way of recourse in any way, shape or form,” Sutton said. “It’s hard the way they have things set up now. You come in with the best of intentions and a slight body change by the guy you’re hitting, or maybe timing, if your timing is a hair off, it goes from being a good hit to a bad hit, just like that. Even when I hit (Jeff) Skinner later in the game, it could have gone the other way if he just moved subtly in a certain direction. It’s walking a fine line and I feel like I’m getting the brunt of it.”
...
“At a certain point we have to start keeping our heads up and knowing who’s on the ice,” Sutton said. “You can’t be skating around with your head down and not expected to get hit because everyone is going to get suspended. There has to be ownership all the way around. I feel like the guys are learning but we don’t have the balance just right yet. It’s changed so much since I started, in so many ways. So this is just another dimension for us to get used to.”

One might think that if Sutton can acknowledge that he can make slight and subtle changes to his hits to avoid injuring players, he might want to take 5% off his hits in an attempt to separate players from pucks instead of knocking them into next week just becaues he’s 6’6” and 250 pounds in shorts and a t-shirt.

He certainly has a point about the fact that the NHLPA must already be pretty p-o’ed about Shanahan’s ability to take millions of dollars out of the pockets of players with no sort of “suspension cap” or assurance that the money is actually spent by the league’s player assistance fund, and I would have no problem with some sort of appeals process sliding in given the severity of Shanahan’s suspensions, but he was given the mandate to crack down on the kinds of, “I was just finishing my check, and it’s not my fault that the other guy got hurt” attitudes which have led to far too many injuries by both the NHL and the NHLPA.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I like the Shanahan process. Screw you and everyone who takes cheap shots like you. Should have been double digit suspension.

Posted by callmedrw on 12/13/11 at 08:56 AM ET

Posted by bob errey on 12/13/11 at 04:13 AM ET

You’ve GOT to be kidding.  Landeskog moving is what caused Sutton to blast him in the head?  What a joke.  You’re a joke.

And on the Ponikarovsky hit how would it have been different if he wasn’t 6’6”?  At that height he still JUMPED to make the hit and hit him with his elbow.  What does that have to do with him being tall?  If you’re 6’6”, how about you don’t jump at the guy’s head when you’re throwing a hit?

Poor guy, I sure feel sorry for him, getting punished for constant dirty, illegal hits.

Posted by Garth on 12/13/11 at 11:09 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

If the offending players had union representation at the table w/ the player safety division, it would be a good compromise. The only other “fix” might be to have a panel of underlings make the initial call, and then it could be appealed to Shanahan. Appealing to Bettman is a bad system, but putting this on the NHLPA puts them in an awkward position. How can a union support one member’s right to disable another member? It’s not right.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/13/11 at 11:28 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s too bad that Andy Sutton does have a good point, because if he were to try to appeal this suspension, I think a reasonable reaction to that appeal would be to tack ten more games on for wasting everybody’s time.

Sutton is a dirty player and he won’t learn from this. He constantly talks about playing on an edge and blames his victims here.  It’s clear this guy is a head-hunter.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/13/11 at 11:43 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

If there was some sort of impartial hearing where both sides got to make a case, the PA should be there scrutinizing these plays just as much, if not more, than Shanahan. The PA’s job is to protect all players, and if that means throwing a few dirty members under the bus, so be it, that’s what they should do.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/13/11 at 12:04 PM ET

I think if Sutton was 6’ rather than 6’6” blah blah blah

Oh and also, Ponikarovsky is 6’4”, so the heigh difference is negligible and doesn’t factor in at all.

Posted by Garth on 12/13/11 at 12:27 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

HEY!! Sutton is an Expert though

Posted by Evilpens on 12/13/11 at 12:50 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Sounds like it’s all phyzics.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 12/13/11 at 02:22 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I think if Sutton was 6’ rather than 6’6” he wouldn’t have been in a position to be suspended. Rather unlucky to be a giant, at least in some regards.  That first suspension this season was somewhat suspect.  The hittee sees Sutton at the last second and moves his body (or head) and sutton creams him in the head. Suicide passes like that tend to get the F’s killed.

Posted by bob errey on 12/13/11 at 04:13 AM ET

Funny how Chara is probably the tallest guy in the league and we never see him getting suspended for headshots and elbows.  People like Pronger and Sutton, along with their apologists, can take their “I only blasted him in the head because I’m tall” excuse with them on their earned suspensions.  What a lame excuse.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 12/13/11 at 03:20 PM ET