The Malik Report

Oh, teh twitterz….Igniting more Red Wings-Predators controversy

Update: Let’s all be surprised that even TSN’s Kerry Fraser now thinks that the NHL should establish a new “Weber rule,” if you will, to ensure that players aren’t allowed to “Weber” other players’ heads into the glass…

This is why I hate leaving the house (s’okay, the de-facto therapist and I talked about hockey) on game days: between a nondescript morning skate and the afternoon, playoff hockey always finds a way to surprise you with unusual developments.

Before I update the game-day post, I thought I ought to let you know that Yahoo Sports’ Greg “Puck Daddy” Wyshynski and MLive’s Josh Slaghter want us to know that Predators fans have been inspired by the Detroit News’s David Guralnick’s photo of Andrei Kostitsyn playfully mocking Shea Weber’s decision to break Henrik Zetterberg’s helmet in an attempt to break his face, and they are now “#Webering” themselves all over Twitter.

Now in Detroit, we have “Kronwalling,” which is a reference to an event that isn’t exactly popular outside of Detroit, we are all familiar with the Datsyukian Deke and the Babcockian Death Stare, and there’s more after that, so I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that fans in Nashville have decided to elbow their way into a Twitter phenomenon by throwing their support behind their captain’s actions, if only in jest.

But what do I think about this as a Red Wings fan who wasn’t exactly happy to see Weber fined $2,500 for a deliberate attempt to severely injure someone (while Paul Gaustad was trying to hack off Pavel Datsyuk’s arms and legs)?

I honestly don’t give a fuc…I mean, “It’s the playoffs, and if fans want to have fun while supporting a controversial action, I happen to be a Niklas Kronwall fan myself, so who am I to throw stones at glass houses with appliances in the front yard?”

Whatever. 97.1 FM’s Mike Valenti has gone so far as to, via RedWingsFeed, demand blood in retribution, and on a day where the Predators are trying to “Get the Red Out” by asking Potential converts to turn in their Wings gear for Predators swag before trying to beat the shit out of an Oldsmobile prior to the game (imagine if that happened in Detroit… All the talk about us violent ruffians and our bankrupt, burned-out town), even Guralnick himself, who you should follow on Twitter, is getting his quips in…

Overheard outside Bridgestone Arena: “Is Nashville in the playoffs for hockey?”

But you know what I’d love to see? The Wings give Barry Trotz reason to substantiate his claims that the Wings are interfering with Pekka Rinne. Shots on goal, as I said this morning, butts in front to screen that big opposing goalie and pounce upon rebounds, a hard-charging, physical but smart forecheck and the kind of intensity, effort, attention to detail and hate factor necessary for the Red wings to deliver a big win tonight.

Regarding the rest of it? I don’t give a flying fuc…I mean, let Predators fans have their fun, and don’t let you get your goat. Or try to sell you one of theirs.

If somebody accidentally went too hard in on Weber on the follow-through of a check or a scrum, I wouldn’t mind that, either, but the scoreboard is where revenge is truly meted out in the playoffs, and for the Red Wings, they’re in a life-or-death struggle to ensure that they’re not golfing and we’re not lamenting almost 5 months without hockey by the end of next week, so it’s about winning four games before the Predators win three more, nothing more and nothing less.

I’m not going to go ape over the Predators’ fans having a little irreverent, if perhaps a little rude playoff fun, and I’m certainly not stupid enough to try to start a flame war over their hockey chops. Weber got fined, the Wings will move on, and Predators fans love their team with as much passion and hockey savvy as we love our Wings, so let’s nip that shi…I mean “stuff” in the bud as well. I just want to see my team defeat theirs, and perhaps piss them off to no end on the way.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Guilherme's avatar

#webering

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/13/12 at 06:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You’re a fan of a player who has never tried to crack another player’s head open like a coconut in a fist of rage is what you are.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/13/12 at 06:37 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

fist of rage

Words are hard.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/13/12 at 06:41 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I sure hope Shanahan is seeing this mockery. If Weber had been suspended, even one game, his teammates AND fanbase would be treating the incident quite differently. The fact that Shanhan’s ruling ALONE basically validated the move in a sense (playoff leniency or not), an act which was clearly one of the most vicious and heinous of the season (seeing that it wasn’t even close to a “hockey play” but rather more akin to swinging your stick at someone’s head out of rage) has now become something the Predators are joking about and the fanbase seems to be taking pride in. So whether Z did anything to provoke it, whether or not he was concussed, whether or not it’s playoffs or preseason, the reactions on twitter show what kind of indirect effect supplementary discipline has on the game at large. I mean, do you really think the NHL wants this kind of publicity? Even for as starved for publicity as they are, my guess is they want this incident swept under the rug and forgotten about ASAP. The fact that small children are now mimicking this cheap shot should be a big time wakeup call for the Department of “player safety” (hmmm…. after watching this act go unpunished, it almost makes that name somewhat comical)

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/13/12 at 06:41 PM ET

Just for fun, it would be nice if someone asked McCarty what would be his reaction to the hit, were him on the line up

He’s still on the organization, I think

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/13/12 at 06:42 PM ET

perfection's avatar

and when I say “unpunished” it’s because Weber’s fine is the equivalent to me being fined $10… even a parking ticket is generally like $50. there’s probably $2,500 in change in the Weber family couch

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/13/12 at 06:46 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Just win, Wings.  Just win.

That will shut them up.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/13/12 at 06:47 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Weber - Slew foot the prick and salm his head into a skate blade.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 04/13/12 at 06:53 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

As J.J. nicely pointed out, Kronwalling is legal since he doesn’t leave his feet and doesn’t try and target the head.  Weber’s actions were clearly against the rules and anything decent.

Just win, Wings.  Just win.

That will shut them up.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Michigan, now in Flori-duh on 04/13/12 at 05:47 PM ET

This is the Wings proper response.  Win decisively.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 04/13/12 at 06:55 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

salm - slam

Yes, JJ, words are hard.

LOL

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 04/13/12 at 06:55 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

You guys know that when you make typos, you’re supposed to say, “A little help?” or something like that and I can make them disappear wink

Winning is always the best revenge. Spitting teeth is just a bonus.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/13/12 at 07:09 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Winning is always the best revenge. Spitting teeth is just a bonus.

That is so true, George!  Shoot Head High from the point once in awhile also, just for practice, mind you! LOL

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/13/12 at 07:41 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

I’ve only got one thing to say about this. Yzerman and Pronger.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/13/12 at 08:05 PM ET

Weber - Slew foot the prick and salm his head into a skate blade.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City… on 04/13/12 at 05:53 PM ET

This is what passes for comments on KK now?  Internet Tough Guys calling for assaults with deadly weapons?

Posted by yayamo on 04/13/12 at 08:22 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

We could use many, many fewer of those kinds of comments. If you want me to delete it, I will. I’m not about to advocate for aggravated assault or manslaughter or something here…

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/13/12 at 08:37 PM ET

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/13/12 at 07:37 PM ET

I think acknowledging that it is over the top is enough.  Weber went way over the line and the NHL screwed up the discipline, but some of these comments are nutso.

Posted by yayamo on 04/13/12 at 08:51 PM ET

I think the decision worked in our favor…Weber obviously woke a sleeping giant.they looked like the wings I know & love tonight.  I haven’t seen them play that hot blooded in a long time, was great to see they still have it in them.  I’m *#$%@& tired of the press ragging on us. We’ve got single players with more rings than their entire lockerroom. The wings have a gear no other team has (remember the brilliant passing against boston in nov? Epic) and maybe alittle injustice was what we needed to throw it

Posted by Pat on 04/14/12 at 02:01 AM ET