The Malik Report

Oh “Happy” Day

Paul for George tonight….

It was a Jiri “Happy” Hudler day.

Hudler tied the score at one early in the 3rd period, then scored the shootout goal that allowed the Wings to defeat the Florida Panthers 2-1.

I will update with a few more highlights and here is Hudler’s (25th of the season) game tying goal.

added 7:40pm, One day, you just know Datsyuk will connect on his over the net pass…

Watch the complete shootout…

Game highlights…

added 7:58pm, Here is the Quincey elbow major and game….

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

where’s Q’s major?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/01/12 at 09:55 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

omitted from the game highlights

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/01/12 at 09:56 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Just added it to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/01/12 at 10:00 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Interesting….the only reason his elbow connected is because he jumped.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/01/12 at 10:22 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Thanks Paul

What a stupid stupid play by Q.  Looks like wreckless targetting of the head to me.  He’ll be on the phone with the Shanahammer for sure.  Only thing going for him is the other player wasn’t injured.

hasn’t been much of a trade deadline aquisition.. surely isn’t playing like a solid top 4..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/01/12 at 10:31 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Khan,

“I know if the ref didn’t see that he slipped or fell; it probably looked like a high hit,’’ Quincey said. “I’m not surprised (at the ejection). From whatever angle (the referee) looked – I think he was behind me—he wouldn’t have seen him slip.’‘

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said it was a penalty, but didn’t want to comment further.

“I haven’t looked at the replay; I probably should have done that before I came in here (to speak with the media),’’ Babcock said. “I can’t comment any more.’‘

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/01/12 at 10:40 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d like to see more of this, but it certainly looks like Quincey leaping is what causes the head contact.

This is a completely stupid hit and Quincey deserves the suspension I think is coming.  Based on this season, I think it will be three.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/01/12 at 11:10 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Well at least we’ll get to see more of Brendan Smith…

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/01/12 at 11:20 PM ET

DocF's avatar

so sayeth JJ from Kansas.

Ya, you betcha, that was one of the most stupid hits of the whole season, eh!  Looks like three to me too.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 04/01/12 at 11:57 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Q*bert isn’t workin out so well for us.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/02/12 at 12:01 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Q tellin Babs ” ya sat me down for 1 , so here’s a hit worthy of 3 more. How do ya like me now”?\

Dumb hit but glad Kopecky stayed in the game.

D o we really want to keep this guy?. Hopfully some team signs him and has to give us a buttload of picks for compensation.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/02/12 at 12:35 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I believe Quincey’s in the realm of a 2nd-rounder as an RFA at his salary, and I don’t think anyone would want to sign him. Methinks he’ll remain, but the Wings can’t be happy with all the “stupid” shaking out of his game thanks to years of playing with the Avs…He’ll definitely sit for a game or three after that boneheaded hit.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/02/12 at 12:46 AM ET

Re 3: I have no idea. Since I’m pretty sure Quincey’s never been suspended before (correct me?) and Kopecky wasn’t injured, it might be less than 3. Or because of the stupidity (and maybe the closeness to the playoffs), it might be more. I’ve given up trying to predict these things.

Posted by bleep bloop on 04/02/12 at 12:55 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Glad to hear from you George. Hope all is getting better for you and your family healthwise. You take all the time you need and please pace yourself with the playoffs coming. Don’t feel that you owe anything to us.Just work yourself slowly back into the mix.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/02/12 at 01:14 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Quincey is a rarity. He’s the first player since Brad Stuart who can play like a Swiss Army knife defenseman—play anywhere with anyone, play as a gritty, physical penalty-killer, play as the stay-at-home bailer-outer for a cowboy like an untamed Brendan Smith, carry his own weight as a complimentary partner for a top-four defenseman like Niklas Kronwall because he’s smart enough and skilled enough to create offense and skate well enough to keep up, or even take the initiative himself and provide some puck-moving pop in a pinch…

And Stuart was the first Wings defenseman since Chris Chelios who could do the same (although Chelios is sort of the Mike Ilitch-rich-man’s version of a Swiss Army knife defenseman), and Chelios was the first Wings defenseman since Bob Rouse who could play that role.

Bob Rouse defensemen are hard to find, and they’re the kinds of players that have warts, because they try to do everything they can do at once instead of choosing the skill set that is most appropriate for a given situation.

If the Wings can take Quincey and calm him down, rein him in and remind him to make the simple play instead of trying to go with gusto and play the hero’s role every time he’s on the ice, by the time he’s 29 or 30, he could be another Brad Stuart, but it’s going to take time and patience…

And after several years’ worth of playing for the Kings and Avalanche, where he was expected to play as an offensive defenseman (kind of like Stuart in San Jose, Boston and Calgary), he’s learned to over-extend himself as a matter of course, and the Wings were willing to trade a first-round pick—a low pick, but a first-round pick nonetheless—to bet on Quincey’s eventual adaptation of the kind of game that Stuart employs at present.

Right now, we’re witnessing growing pains as Quincey re-acclimates to a system of play which, despite its supposed simplicity to play, is more demanding and more exhaustive in its attention to detail than anything Quincey has tried to keep up with since the 09-10 preseason, and I guess the question is how long the Wings are willing to put up with what he does, or whether, should he stumble in the playoffs, the Wings are willing to continue to invest in re-training a player they are already familiar with instead of trying to find someone else who might be more presently ready to assume Stuart’s position.

I think they’re gonna keep the frog, warts and all, but I can’t say that he’s done much to aid his cause during his short tenure as a second-term Wing.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/02/12 at 01:59 AM ET

awould's avatar

Maybe Quincey will realize that sitting on his ass for a few games is much too similar to what the team’s been doing on the ice the past few games and he’ll tell everyone just in time for the playoffs.

Posted by awould on 04/02/12 at 03:03 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m just “happy” the Wings got 2 points.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/02/12 at 09:16 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Ken and Mick touched on it during the game yesterady, but the Wings are showing an overwhelming lack of desire.  Their discussion was based on board battles, but it really does seem to be more than just there.

Through the last half of the season, I don’t ever recall seeing the Wings dump and chase so much.  When did they start this crap of throwing the puck back into their offensive zone when their teammates were trying to clear?  Why not drag the puck back and maintain possession rather than punting all the time?

Ultimately I think that parity is starting to rear it’s ugly head.  Not so much cap driven as the other teams in the league are finally just catching up to the Wings’ standard of play…and unfortunately the Wings’ standard of play has been stagnant for so long they can’t adapt to not being so dominant anymore.

But what the hell do I know?  I’ve never played anything beyond roller league and pick up ice hockey…but I’ve sure as hell WATCHED alot of hockey.  And what I’m watching out of our Wings this year is distressing.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/02/12 at 10:17 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 04/02/12 at 08:17 AM ET

Jeff, I think you may have hit the nail on the head exactly.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/02/12 at 03:14 PM ET

1 game.

Because they are thinking so slow, every time they hold onto the puck for a few seconds, they get challenged and the puck is taken away.

Posted by bleep bloop on 04/03/12 at 06:08 AM ET