The Malik Report

Oh boy…Red Wings prospect Max Nicastro is in serious trouble

Very disturbing news regarding Red Wings prospect Max Nicastro from a TMR reader and Boston University Today’s Art Jahnke:

Max Nicastro, a defenseman on the BU men’s hockey team, was arrested on the Charles River Campus early Sunday morning by the Boston University Police and charged with sexual assault. BU Police Chief Thomas Robbins says his department is working with the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, which is investigating the allegations. He says the incident is alleged to have happened on campus. Nicastro was accused of sexual assault by a female student. He is being held on $25,000 cash bail, and will be arraigned in Brighton District Court on Tuesday.

Michael Lynch, BU athletic director, says Nicastro has been suspended from the hockey team pending the outcome of the investigation.

Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore says his office looks into all allegations of student misconduct. “Once we receive any information like this,” says Elmore (SED’87), “we investigate all sides of allegations to see if there has been a violation of the code of student conduct, at which point further action may be taken.”

Nicastro (CGS’11, MET’13), who was living at 10 Buick Street, comes from Thousand Oaks, Calif. Before arriving at Boston University in 2009, he spent two seasons playing with the Chicago Steel of U.S. Hockey League, and he also played for the AAA Los Angeles Jr. Kings. The 6’3”, 210-pound junior played in 27 games this season.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

The point I was trying to make is that we aren’t even approaching the legal standard and even the de facto legal standard falls short plenty of times, so that says a lot about how worthless this discussion is.

Posted by bleep bloop on 02/21/12 at 09:18 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/21/12 at 12:02 AM ET

I appreciate your comments WestWing.  You really weren’t one of the people I was addressing over the Duke Lacrosse incident, nor do I think you’re trying to excuse Nicastro.  It just seemed like a couple people were trying to slam dunk on Forlorn by citing one example and acting like that amounts to QED.  That kind of approach bothers me and I don’t think it’s very respectful.  Opinions on topics like this come with a lot of nuance and grey area, so it isn’t fair to drop one exception to the rule in order to dismiss someone’s opinion out of hand.  So, that was the point I was trying to get across, and it seems like you and I more or less agree on the non-significance of one event in respect to another.

I’m willing to hear Nicastro’s side of the case and if he is innocent I hope he is fully exonerated.  He is entitled to a presumption of innocence as far as his criminal case is concerned.  I know the facts are as of yet uncertain, and my mind is not an immovable object.  But as far as my personal ethics go, I’m going to presume the victim is telling the truth until I see evidence of dishonesty.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/21/12 at 01:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It DOES amount to QED as far as the origin of the discussion.

Sometimes people are falsely accused of sex crimes.

The Duke Lacrosse case involved people being accused falsely of sex crimes.

QED.

In fact, rereading the comments which reference that specific case, I don’t see anybody arguing that Nicastro must be innocent because of that case, but rather a handful of arguments against rushing to judgment in assuming that he’s guilty.

In essence, you could NOT rebut the instances of the Duke Lacrosse scandal with Roethlisberger , Bryant, or Tyson because they do NOT prove that every rape accusation is evidence of guilt.

Actually, the first of the two cases against Roethlisberger does quite the opposite, as the first case against him included a sworn affidavit from a former co-worker of the accuser that claims she bragged about a consensual sexual encounter with Roethlisberger. While none of us will ever know whether the former co-worker was telling the truth, it does lend further evidence to the concept that it’s possible a man can be falsely accused of rape.

As far as what I believe about Roethlisberger, Bryant, Tyson, and Nicastro (Tyson being the only one who was ever actually found guilty of rape)?  I believe they’re all guilty. I will never know for sure, but that’s why they call it belief.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/21/12 at 01:59 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/21/12 at 10:59 AM ET

On a strictly logical level I don’t disagree with you JJ.  Of course, Nicastro must be proven guilty.  And of course he is entitled to due process.  But, as far as I’m concerned he already has those aces up his sleeve so I’m not in as big of a rush to point out his potential innocence.

I’m prone to giving a wide berth to any expression that “she was asking for it,” or that “she woke up with buyers remorse,” or anything that might smack of that mentality.  I think bringing up Duke Lacrosse can put you in that moral hazard, which is why I’m loathe to go there.  Its a fine thing to be quick to point out that he could be innocent, but lets bear in mind that the backhand of that sentiment is that you’re* being as quick to say she might be liar.  That isn’t fair either.  I understand that those sentiments can be mutually exclusive, but that doesn’t pass the smell test with me on most occasions.  I think it’s fair to wonder if the counter reaction would have been as strong if we were talking about a DUI or a petty theft.

I can’t possibly assign any negative sentiment to the people who raised the Duke Lacrosse flag and hope to be borne out, nor would it be fair to do that.  I don’t really think anyone here is that malicious at heart.  It’s just that in my experience I’ve seen a lot of casual attitudes on this topic from other men, so the citing of the Duke Lacrosse case feels a little cavalier to me.

*I mean you’re in this instance to be a “rhetorical you’re”.  I’m not referring to you in particular my good sir.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/21/12 at 04:17 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I failed to mention that the reason I raised the examples of Ben Roethlisberger and company was only to illustrate how meaningless the Duke Lacrosse incident is as a rhetorical tool.  It means nothing in terms of Max Nicastro’s case.  I’m not saying over zealous prosecution doesn’t happen or that it isn’t happening here (at this point in the fact pattern anyway).  I was saying that it’s equally unfair to point to Mike Tyson as it is to point to Duke Lacrosse in the case of Max Nicastro.

So I really made the analogy because I couldn’t escape the feeling that Forlorn was being unfairly bludgeoned below the belt.  I hope that adequately cleans up my thoughts.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/21/12 at 04:41 PM ET