The Malik Report

Oh boy…Red Wings prospect Max Nicastro is in serious trouble

Very disturbing news regarding Red Wings prospect Max Nicastro from a TMR reader and Boston University Today’s Art Jahnke:

Max Nicastro, a defenseman on the BU men’s hockey team, was arrested on the Charles River Campus early Sunday morning by the Boston University Police and charged with sexual assault. BU Police Chief Thomas Robbins says his department is working with the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, which is investigating the allegations. He says the incident is alleged to have happened on campus. Nicastro was accused of sexual assault by a female student. He is being held on $25,000 cash bail, and will be arraigned in Brighton District Court on Tuesday.

Michael Lynch, BU athletic director, says Nicastro has been suspended from the hockey team pending the outcome of the investigation.

Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore says his office looks into all allegations of student misconduct. “Once we receive any information like this,” says Elmore (SED’87), “we investigate all sides of allegations to see if there has been a violation of the code of student conduct, at which point further action may be taken.”

Nicastro (CGS’11, MET’13), who was living at 10 Buick Street, comes from Thousand Oaks, Calif. Before arriving at Boston University in 2009, he spent two seasons playing with the Chicago Steel of U.S. Hockey League, and he also played for the AAA Los Angeles Jr. Kings. The 6’3”, 210-pound junior played in 27 games this season.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

bezukov's avatar

What a fool.  If he is indeed guilty, I hope he is punished.  I hope the young lady is alright (or as much as one can be under such circumstances).

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/20/12 at 05:35 AM ET

Crater's avatar

Not good at all, but lets not forget innocent till proven guilty. I’ve seen with my own eyes drunken girls come back the next day and accuse friends of similar things. This could ruin the kids life so for his sake I hope he gets a good lawyer and that he is indeed not guilty of something like that.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 02/20/12 at 05:39 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

All we can do is hope that the other person is OK and then hope that the legal process runs its course, the authorities determine what happened and that, as Crater suggests, we have to sort of withhold judgment until we really know what transpired.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/20/12 at 06:22 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 02/20/12 at 02:39 AM ET

Wow.  Seriously?  You are coming off as a rape apologist.  “She was drunk, so it’s her fault!”  “OMG, She showed a flash of her ankle, she was TOTALLY ASKING FOR IT!!!!”  Yeah, let’s worry about the poor men and their ruined lives.  I mean, gosh, who cares if she has lifelong issues with trust, or intimacy, or develops PTSD!  My god, she tried to ruin his reputation!  STONE HER TO DEATH!

You do realize that in most states having sex with a drunk PERSON (male or female) IS rape, because their impaired judgement means that they cannot consent?

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/20/12 at 09:31 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Disturbing news for sure.  But let’s wait until all the facts come out, as others have said…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/20/12 at 11:35 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This is the second BU hockey player to be arrested:

The starting center on the BU men’s ice hockey team was arrested Sunday night and charged with three counts of indecent assault and battery after he allegedly entered the room of a female student and attempted to kiss and grope her.

Corey Trivino (MET’12), the leading scorer in Hockey East, was also charged with two counts of breaking and entering in the nighttime and one count of assault with attempt to rape.

That was early December. Trivino still awaits trial.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/20/12 at 11:46 AM ET

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/20/12 at 06:31 AM ET

I understand where you’re coming from, but don’t forget the Duke Lacrosse or Garrett Wittels cases. I think all Crater is saying is to avoid rushing to judgement until the facts come to light.

Posted by RyanVM on 02/20/12 at 12:17 PM ET

Heaton's avatar

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/20/12 at 06:31 AM ET

I have little sympathy for Nicastro if this is true, but in this day and age it’s a common thing for people to make up stories to get out of a bad situation.  I’m not saying she is lying since I obviously know nothing about it.

The issue that I have is the type of thing Forlorn has already decided, they’ve decided Nicastro is already guilty based on the accusation.  If he is, throw away the key.  But if he isn’t?  Then what?

Posted by Heaton on 02/20/12 at 12:24 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/20/12 at 06:31 AM ET

Calm down killer; no reason to fly off the handle.  He didn’t state anything relevant to what your post alludes to.  He stated a constitutional right of ‘innocent until proven guilty’.  He didn’t defend anyone.  Appears to me he asked everyone to reserve judgement since we don’t know the details of the case.  Obviously the authorities felt there was sufficient cause to pick up and charge him, but just because someone is accused of something does not automatically mean they are guilty.

At any rate, I think you need to calm the *#$%@& down.

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 02/20/12 at 12:38 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by RyanVM on 02/20/12 at 09:17 AM ET

I agree that we shouldn’t rush to judgement.  I am not saying that I think he’s guilty.  Crater’s comment struck a nerve with me because it is so similar to victim blaming.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/20/12 at 12:45 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 02/20/12 at 09:38 AM ET

I don’t need to calm down, I just excel at dramatic hyperbole.  You might want to re-read his post, especially his second sentence, where he does, in fact, state that drunk girls accused his friends of “similar things”.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/20/12 at 12:52 PM ET

Alan's avatar

It sounds horrible, but as others have said, we need all the facts first.

Let’s have patience, and let the legal system take care of it.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/20/12 at 12:59 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

And that doesn’t happen Forlorn?  I work for the military handling new recruits and we run into this exact same issue.  Never has there been a full on, law n order, black and white rape.  normaly it’s a “sexual assault” there’s ALWAYS two sides to THAT story.

Duke Lacross, ‘nough said.

However, HOWEVER, if he’s guilty, send HIM somewhere where he can experience some sexual assault himself.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/20/12 at 01:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/20/12 at 06:31 AM ET

Umm, Duke lacrosse scandal mean anything to you?

Turned out it was a drunk girl (stripper no less) with an axe to grind against the university (she went to another nearby school).

Sorry, but I think it’s perfectly fair to say that some girls take advantage of receiving the initial benefit of the doubt.

That said…. dude.  Nicastro was struggling enough as it was to be a relevant prospect IIRC.  Probably the final nail in his coffin with the Wings…

Posted by Primis on 02/20/12 at 01:20 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/20/12 at 10:00 AM ET

I never claimed that it doesn’t happen, however it is far more common for people to BE sexually assaulted than for people to falsely accuse someone of sexual assault.  I find comments about whether or not someone was drunk to be problematic, because it is not very different from saying that the victim is responsible for being assaulted because of their state of intoxication. Or the way they were dressed.  Or because they were walking home alone.  Or whatever other reason someone may use to justify it.  Victim blaming is gross, and it happens far too often.  We as a society should spend more time sending the message “DON"T RAPE” rather than shaming people for being raped and/or sexually assaulted.

I also am infuriated by people who lie about being a victim, and I think they should face consequences for falsely accusing others.  But let’s be clear:  This does not happen with the frequency that actual rape and sexual assault happens.  For people to use one or two isolated cases (even cases that received national attention) to justify rape shaming and victim blaming is offensive.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/20/12 at 01:25 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Just when the Tim Thomas posts seemed like the worst possible comments for this site, now we’re arguing on the credibility of assailants/assault victims. Unless someone here part times as Peter Falk’s replacement as Columbo, there’s little to offer on this subject.

I have a hard time with people building hierarchies where somehow “a stripper” is less than a collegiate athlete. It doesn’t help in any way whatsoever to advance that line of thinking, and frankly it’s a bummer to read such garbage.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/20/12 at 01:42 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m not saying I dont’ see your point of view.  Believe me I do.  Also, my opinions are based on my job which we have to deal with situations like these more frequently that I can believe to be honest.

I’m saying, as in ALL THINGS IN LIFE, you need to have as clear a perspective as possible and THEN JUDGE.

He was just stating scenerios before in which it may make it a lie, and I’ve seen those scenerios happen myself, when a girl is talking all this shit about *#$%@& and wanting to get *#$%@& and you see them later on drinking and the same 4 guys have been following her around all night.. you see wher eI’m going with this..

This accusation, more often then not, ruins young peoples lives.  The ACCUSATION.  It’s only responsible to try NOT TO RUIN ANYONEs LIFE, until facts and the truth come out and justice carried out.

I mean, you’d think after having 2 players arrested and being on trial for sexual assault might make you refrain from it if you have those unnatural desires.

Just saying, have some understanding for those who are trying to reserve judgement until “professionals” have investigated and uncovered all the facts.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/20/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Nobody here AT ALL is blaming the victim in this case.  All anyone did was use the example that this type of thing does happen to say that they are not going to rush to judgement.

Much like the way you’re rushing to judge anyone who is saying to wait out the facts and see what actually happened.

Posted by Garth on 02/20/12 at 01:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It sure is.

However, using one or two isolated cases to justify the concept that we should know all of the facts before rushing to judgment is good sense.

And yes, while states do specifically list alcohol as one of the things under the effects of which a person cannot give consent, most of them have struggled through the courts to define how drunk exactly a person has to be in order to be considered “too drunk” to give consent.

You know what’s also offensive?  Calling somebody else’s friends rapists without knowing all the facts.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/20/12 at 01:57 PM ET

DocF's avatar

At this point, there is not a lot of evidence to go by in this Nicastro incident.  When additional evidence is released.  The prosecutors, at this point have yet to decide what to do with this case.  Let us not freak out; let us maintain a neutral attitude until the matter is more clear.

The rush to judgement in the Duke lacrosse case was insane.  The DA was pandering to the African-American community in Durham, which had solidly united to oppose him in the local election.

The accuser was nominally a student at N. C. Central.  In fact, she was literally a crack-addicted prostitute.  The story was ludicrous.  I followed it from day one and found the more data was revealed, the less evidence of guilt there was.

I know for a fact that Duke has paid a huge settlement to the players who were wrongly accused and those not involved in any way who were tainted by the false charges.

I believe the authorities in Boston will better be able to determine what happened and will take the right course.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 02/20/12 at 02:04 PM ET

I personally know Max Nicastro and this does not surprise me in any way.  Members of the BU hockey team are treated like Gods and have girls throwing themselves at them.  Unfortunately, this makes them think that it’s acceptable to be overly aggressive with women who are clearly not interested.  I have witnessed Max and his friends force their hands up girls skirts and bars and just be disgusting pigs in general.  Obviously nobody knows the facts yet, but I’m glad that somebody finally spoke up against him.

Posted by Chelsea on 02/20/12 at 02:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Chelsea on 02/20/12 at 11:21 AM ET

The fact that there have been two arrests in three months does seem to indicate that there’s at least a cultural problem surrounding the BU men’s hockey team.

Thanks for the perspective.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/20/12 at 02:36 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Posted by Chelsea on 02/20/12 at 11:21 AM ET

Wow, really sad and completely unacceptable if true. Quality, respectful and gentlemanly role models are hard to come by these days, which I would say this team and many other teams and young men in general, are in need of today.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 02/20/12 at 02:55 PM ET

We like to think that the system works on the presumption of innocence but not always so. There are usually 3 sides to every story so let the courts figure this one out. Some hockey players may think & act as it women are flocking to be with them. That’s unfortunately a bad character flaw but as long as “Puck Bunnies” throw themselves & drool all over these guys the lines of decency are hard to establish.
Having said that NO still means NO. Players should listen to that.

Posted by SCOOP from Canada on 02/20/12 at 04:19 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 02/20/12 at 10:20 AM ET

Yep.  I may forgive his saying that when the Wings called his name at the ‘09 NHL Draft, “...[his] heart sunk,” but I ain’t forgetting it.  Sure there was a media scrum where he profusely apologized for the verbal gaffe.  He did stand up for himself to clear up the controversy and now this?  Now what?

The damage is done.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/20/12 at 04:48 PM ET

Posted by Chelsea on 02/20/12 at 11:21 AM ET

I would think that’s true for EVERY high profile collegiate men’s athletics program in the country.  Doesn’t matter what sport it is, the behavior you observed I’m sure goes unreported probably 95% of the time.

Unexcusable IF true.  Let’s see all sides of the story.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/20/12 at 04:55 PM ET

This news has made me super horny.

Posted by BEn G on 02/20/12 at 05:15 PM ET

For Forlorn:

Wow ... I am always impressed by those who speak just to hear themselves talk.  Just the fact people need to post in fromt of thoes they do not know, and never will, indicate just waht a waste of time it is.

I know I am guilty of this here, with this post.  However, you spew venom over something you know nothing about (you weren’t there).  And to do so towards folks you don’t know is way beyond me.

Have you ever heard these cliche’s:

One can’t govern morality.

You can’t turn one’s hand.

You can lead a horse to water.

Idiots are idiots and you can’t change it.  If he is guilty, may he never get a chance to use his talents on the ice.  I hope he would not be allowed.  If he is innocent, just remember this will live with him through his life as well.  I hope it comes out as well as it can.  Do not be so quick to deal out judgement unless you know.

Posted by Reasonable from Dallas on 02/20/12 at 05:54 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Let’s get all pedagogical.

Imagine for a moment that we’re all gathered around a table.  In the center of the table there sits a box which as been sealed in such a way that none of us has the power to open it.  The box is labelled somewhat ambiguously, thus, while giving us some information, it doesn’t actually give us anything too specific, leaving us instead with a very broad range of possibilities regarding its contents.  The only thing we know for sure is that, as a matter of due course, at an unspecified time, by means that are not available to any of us, the contents of the box will begin to reveal themselves.  In the meantime, all we can do is wait.

I suppose it’s human nature to spend the intervening hours speculating as to the contents of the box.  Some will invoke statistics and, based on prior observations, will cite the likely probabilty of this or that being inside the box.  Others may insist that they have certain clues or insider knowledge based on the rather minimal information on the label.  Others still may sadly shake their heads knowing that there are rarely any really good things to come out of boxes such as this one.

But the Truth that lies inside that box will not change based on any amount of anecdotal speculation by those of us waiting for its contents to emerge.  Whatever is in the box is already in there waiting only to be revealed.  Some of the guesses being made may actually turn out to be correct, but then again we all very well may be quite surprised by its contents.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/20/12 at 06:01 PM ET

I wish he’d sexually assault me with that 6’3’’ 210 pound body while dressed out in his hockey gear ... HOT!

Posted by JD from USA on 02/20/12 at 06:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

God, I hate it when they put packing tape over ALL of the seams.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/20/12 at 06:11 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

God, I hate it when they put packing tape over ALL of the seams.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/20/12 at 03:11 PM ET

A wise man once said, “Silence is golden, duct tape is sliver”, followed quickly by, “throw in a little chloroform, and that, my boy, is how I met your mother.”

It really helps if you imagine it being said in the voice of Gilbert Gottfried though.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/20/12 at 06:34 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

What???  Too soon???

This is also much more effective if you imagine it in Gottfried’s voice.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/20/12 at 06:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

What???  Too soon???

This is also much more effective if you imagine it in Gottfried’s voice.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/20/12 at 03:42 PM ET

Hoo-boy. That one crashed like a Japanese tsunami.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/20/12 at 07:28 PM ET

BU is turning into the Cincinatti Bengals.  They need ankle monitors along with jock straps.

Posted by 13 user names on 02/20/12 at 10:46 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

For the sake of argument, I’m going to assume this is true for a moment (also because statistically it is far more likely to be true than not).

Why should anyone be surprised? All too often, young men who are good at athletics, once their talent is obvious, never hear the word “no.” They don’t hear it when they want to get out of chores to practice, they don’t hear it when they want to skip class to train, they don’t hear it when their coach asks an instructor to “give them a little consideration” on turning in a late assignment or missing an exam. THEY NEVER HEAR THE WORD NO SO IT MAKES SENSE THEY DON’T UNDERSTAND IT WHEN THEY FINALLY DO.

They are used to seeing what they want and getting it. Why would they not think that every girl is interested in them, and if she isn’t she is just playing hard-to-get? After all, girls are supposed to not say yes right away, not “good girls.” Why would they not think that “no” doesn’t mean “no” at all, but “keep trying to convince me because I just don’t want to have a loose reputation?” Hell, a lot of young men (and older ones, too) already act that way as it is, even without benefit of athletic talent. I know I’ve heard enough men think that “no” meant “keep talking and convince me” instead of “go away and leave me alone because I am not interested and am busy with something else.” If even regular guys don’t pay attention to the word no, how can someone who has stopped hearing it do the same?

The charges are probably true. There are enough college men who act like that anyway that it would hardly be news. More news that the woman reported it instead of being told to keep it quiet for the benefit of both their reputations (and yes, that kind of “friendly advice” DOES still happen).

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 02/20/12 at 11:23 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Forlorn, without wading too deep into this discussion, I want you to know that I tend to agree with your view point on this topic.  Max Nicastro has the legal presumption of innocence on his side, so suffice it to say that I’m not very worried about him.  As for the public perception he has at the moment, he should have thought about that before behaving like a womanizer.  This situation is 99% his own fault.

And to those citing the Duke Lacrosse case, I’ll have to rebut you with Ben Roethlisberger, Kobe Bryant, and Mike Tyson.  You can tell me that those cases didn’t all result in convictions, etc., and of course you’re probably right.  But the point is, don’t throw out one instance of false accusation and act like its statistically meaningful.  I can do that same thing too, and it’s a cheap form of argumentation.  Please be better than that.

Posted by Reasonable from Dallas on 02/20/12 at 02:54 PM ET

I love all the unregistered people that turn up and point fingers at the regulars around here whenever a controversial issue comes up.  I know there isn’t any meaningful right or wrong on the internet, but at least make a profile and stake your reputation on your comments if you feel the need to weigh in.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/20/12 at 10:42 AM ET

I understand your sentiment man, but as long as the discussion stays on the appropriate threads I don’t see whats wrong with it.

So there I was saying I wasn’t going to wade in too deep lol…..

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/21/12 at 01:46 AM ET

I think it’s time for Jack Parker to resign and come down to my house to sweat it out.

Posted by Joe Paterno from 666 Devils Lane on 02/21/12 at 02:56 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

The charges are probably true.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 02/20/12 at 08:23 PM ET

In all fairness, at this point in time the charges are either true or they’re not true.  There is nothing probabilistic about the truth of events which have already transpired.  In reality, the accused is, ultimately, either already guilty of having commited the crime of sexual assaut, or he is not.  If, as the facts come to light, it becomes clear that he is on fact guilty, then let us spare no judgment against him.

Far from being an apologist, I’m simply advising that until we know the facts of this case, there’s no point in engaging in any sort of conjecture as to the “probability” of guilt or innocence.  Even if everything in our own experience tells us otherwise, it’s wise to remember that there’s a reason why such things as individual human prejudices (even those born of the most righteous of indignation) and hearsay fall short of the legal standard required to convict.

Frankly, on a personal level, my gut-level inclination is to nod my head and agree with the argument you’ve laid out.  We’ve all seen this kind of thing, and many of us, regardless of gender, not only understand and agree that what you’re saying is absolutely true, but also share your sense of disgust—generally speaking.

If we’re merely generalizing in an effort to flesh out a probability-based analysis of the crime of sexual assault, then I think the observations you’ve made offer great insight.  But I also think it’s a grave disservice to the truth to simply invoke things that many of us might agree to be “generally true” in order to say that a specific individual in a specific case is “probably” guilty.

Posted by bezukov from South of Detroit on 02/20/12 at 10:46 PM ET

Again, don’t mistake my take on this for being in any way whatsover an apologist for Max Nicastro or any crime he may have commited, but the fact that you can cite even one instance of a false accusation only proves that we ought not to rush to judgment.  The fact is, none of us were there and so we simply don’t know what actually happened.  It sounds bad.  And if it turns out to be even remotely what it sounds like, then I have no sympathy for him.  None.

To reiterate my earlier point, statistical analysis is often an insightful way of studying such things as broad-based trends, but in reality has no bearing in establishing the truth of an individual or discrete instance.  We can say for example that the average American family has 2.6 children and, while this might be a statistical truth, you’d be hard-pressed to show me such a family.  Similarly, we can say that there are far more valid and true accusations than false accusations, but I doubt very much that you would like for that particular statistical truth to be the accepted standard used to determine your fate (even if only in the court of public opinion) were you the one being falsely accused.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/21/12 at 03:02 AM ET

First of all, we know nothing. All that we know is that an accusation was made and the police determined that the allegations were substantiated enough to make an arrest, but we don’t have the evidence the police have, nor do we even know for sure that the case will be prosecuted.

…it is very difficult to prove rape/sexual assault to the standards set by logic or science. Combine that with the facts that a jury rarely has the legal knowledge to make an informed decision and “innocent until proven guilty” really only means “whoever made the most convincing argument”. Unfortunately, the mere accusation of a crime is often taken as evidence of guilt (as evidenced here, but especially elsewhere). In this system, we are supposed to assume that someone is innocent until we are absolutely convinced otherwise, “beyond a reason of a doubt”.

Fortunately this is a blog, so do whatever you want.

Posted by bleep bloop on 02/21/12 at 09:09 AM ET