The Malik Report

Nyquist’s ‘numbers’ indicate upward trends…if he remains a Red Wing

Every Monday, DetroitRedWings.com's Bill Roose or Dana Wakiji has examined a Red Wings player's 2015-16 campaign "By the Numbers," and today, Roose examines Gustav Nyquist's 15-16 season:

The Red Wings current iron man takes full responsibility for the dip in offensive production that he experienced in 2015-16.

Nobody was immune to the criticism for a team that underperformed down the stretch and suffered another first-round playoff exit.

“That’s a big part of it,” Nyquist said, in April. “A lot of guys didn’t reach to their potential this year. Obviously for myself I just wasn’t able to put the puck in the net as much as last year and for sure that’s on me. I’ve just got to be better.”

208 | The Swedish forward is the Red Wings’ current iron man, last missing a regular-season game in December 2013. He is the only Wings player to appear in every game of the past two seasons.

Roose continues, noting that the studious Nyquist is still either the leader or near-leader in several offensive categories. Ideally, Nyquist rebounds from his 17-goal, 43-point 15-16 campaign, but at this point, we don't know whether Nyquist or Tomas Tatar will open the 16-17 season as members of the Red Wings, either. The team may have to trade one of their two offensive contributors to acquire a top-pair defenseman.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

lakeside mall's avatar

would nyquist get ducks d prospect shea theodore ?

we arent getting anywhere this season except hopefully continuing streak ,
so i dont care about adding a ‘‘decent’’ top 3 dman (teams donttrade dmen
theyre in love with) tooday at huge cost . ide rather
go after whom might become a #1 dman in prospect form

Posted by lakeside mall on 08/15/16 at 07:21 AM ET

would nyquist get ducks d prospect shea theodore ?

I have a hard time seeing that.  If you want a top pairing projected d-man you might want to see what the Flyers are willing to take and offer.

Posted by BarryKlob on 08/15/16 at 08:00 AM ET

Colin's avatar

I think it’s the exact opposite, we don’t have the right personnel in the right places to compliment his game, which is why I think it would be best for the Goose to get turned loose in a trade with another team.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 08/15/16 at 09:02 AM ET

Prospects are just that, prospects. I’d prefer they find someone who has at least shown some of what he can do at the NHL level. The Wings need bonafide talent on defense, immediately. I WOULD pay that big price but only for Trouba or Shattenkirk. I’d hate to do it but Nyquist + Mantha + 1st round pick would be on the table.

The Wings aren’t going to improve their D until they get improvement at the top. I don’t really like the idea of waiting the 3-5 years it would take to groom a prospect.

I seriously doubt the Flyers are trading away any D prospects. They have spent 20 years trying to find defense and this is the first time they actually have home grown talent.

Posted by evileye on 08/15/16 at 09:05 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I think it’s cute that anyone at this point even thinks a trade is a possibility.

There is no trade.  No trade is coming.  Kenny isn’t even trying to make a trade happen.

Everyone just move along already.

Posted by Primis on 08/15/16 at 09:33 AM ET

You have no more evidence that a trade isn’t coming, than I do that one is. While I don’t think that a trade is likely, based on history, that doesn’t mean I’m certain it won’t happen.

Even if Holland isn’t working to make the team better, I’m still going to speculate about how the team COULD make itself better.

At least I’m not discussing things that will NEVER happen like going back and signing Hossa instead of Franzen.

Posted by evileye on 08/15/16 at 09:46 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m looking at the last two offseasons when Holland has been extremely happy to go into camp with way too many bodies at various positions.  He sees it as a good thing, and has repeatedly stated it as such.  He LIKES the idea.  He has this outdated notion that it creates competition for spots and will somehow create a first pairing dman where there wasn’t one before, or whatnot.  It’s completely insane and wrong of course.

To me, that’s pretty good evidence no trade is coming.  This is the situation Holland likes and wants, so he’s not going to try to do anything about it.

I’m not going to beat my head against the wall coming up with 4390480324 trade scenarios that have no chance of happening.  The team is what it is, and that is the team Detroit will start the season with, and likely have still on up through the trade deadline.

Posted by Primis on 08/15/16 at 10:40 AM ET

I read several articles stating that KH is hesitant to move Nyquist or Tatar. That’s on top of Larkin, AA, Mantha and a first rounder he does not want to move either. If that’s true, the trade is not coming. I personally would not touch Larkin, AA and Mrazek (unless we are talking a trade for a franchise dman), but everybody else is tradeable (not that many of our players have any trade value), but I have a feeling KH’s list of untouchables is much larger than that.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/15/16 at 11:42 AM ET

Have you seen their prospect pool at defense lately?  They’ve got a surefire top pair in Ghost and Provorov, they can afford to deal either Morin or Sanheim.

Posted by BarryKlob on 08/15/16 at 12:14 PM ET

Bill_H's avatar

You have no more evidence that a trade isn’t coming, than I do that one is.

Posted by evileye on 08/15/16 at 10:46 AM ET

The Red Wings have the fewest number of trades of any team in the NHL since the salary cap.  They have less than half the next least number of trades by any NHL team during this period.  This indicates that a trade by current management is a much lower statistical probability for the Red Wings.

This is a better justification for the observation that a trade isn’t coming than “I think therefore I’m right” (which is a very popular analytical tool in today’s world) is a justification for a trade is coming.  grin

Posted by Bill_H on 08/15/16 at 02:01 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Bill_H on 08/15/16 at 03:01 PM ET

Also Holland over values his players which adds to the chances that a trade will NOT happen.
Plus they’re hard, these trades.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 08/15/16 at 02:15 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Nyquist: The player who, a few years ago, was demanded to be on the Red Wings by the fans crying over management’s stubbornness.

Nyquist: The player the fans want to ship out of town.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/15/16 at 02:19 PM ET

That only matters if the number is zero.

Posted by Garth on 08/15/16 at 02:22 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I still believe Ken Holland will make a trade for a top defenseman (if he can swing it), and one of the casualties with be either Nyquist or Tatar.  downer

Posted by bigfrog on 08/15/16 at 04:16 PM ET