The Malik Report

Nyquist Up, Tatar Down

added 11:56am,

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday recalled right wing Gustav Nyquist from the Grand Rapids Griffins and assigned left wing Tomas Tatar to the Griffins.

A native of Halmstad, Sweden, Nyquist has a three-point lead in the AHL scoring race with 60 points (23-37—60) in 57 games. The second-year pro saw a six-game point streak come to an end on Friday versus Hamilton, but the 23-year-old has racked up 15 points (6-9—15) over his last nine games, including four three-point outings. In 121 career games with the Griffins, Nyquist has recorded 122 points (46-76—122) and 52 penalty minutes.

A member of the 2012 AHL All-Rookie Team and a two-time AHL All-Star, Nyquist leads the Griffins in goals and assists, topping the 58 points (22-36—58) he registered in 2011-12.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Heaton's avatar

Thank God Cleary and Abdelkader are still in.

Posted by Heaton on 03/12/13 at 10:01 AM ET

oh good, another grinder for the bottom six.

Posted by akwingsfan on 03/12/13 at 10:02 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Thank God Cleary and Abdelkader are still in.

Well Abby is on a roll now after his empty netter.
Kids like Tatar are just eating up ice time and not producing nor finding any chemistry with his line mates.  rolleyes

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/12/13 at 10:04 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

This is a really smart move.

Just friggin shoot me now

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/12/13 at 10:11 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

WHAT! THE! FUCH!!!!!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/12/13 at 10:13 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I love the energy that Tatar brings, but in all honesty he’s been a little undisciplined lately. Probably just getting overanxious trying to show he belongs on the 1st or 2nd line. So maybe the brass wants to give him a chance to “refocus” a bit in GR.

They also may think it’s time to give Gustav his shot in Detroit. And, I know this is going to sound like crazy talk, but maybe they want him to replace Cleary or Abby on Pavel’s line.

Okay. Okay, I know. That is crazy talk. Why would they put a guy who’s at the top of the AHL in scoring on a line where he can be fed one-timers by the greatest setup center in all of hockey? Crazy talk. What was I thinking?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/12/13 at 10:13 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

This is recently from Kahn!

Holland also is hesitant to bring up Nyquist unless he plays on a top-two line. Coach Mike Babcock has used Justin Abdelkader on Pavel Datsyuk’s line. Abdelkader isn’t providing offense, but Babcock prefers to have a bigger body and better defensive player there, as opposed to Tatar.

That means someone has changed their mind: either they don’t need Abby’s size on the second line, or they don’t mind bringing up Nyquist to play on the 3rd line.  The best thing to do would be to move Abby to Andersson’s line to bring his special playmaking and scoring touch there, and let Nyquist play exactly one game with Pav before sending him back to GR and switching Abby back.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/12/13 at 10:14 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

<sarcasm>The best thing to do would be to move Abby to Andersson’s line to bring his special playmaking and scoring touch there, and let Nyquist play exactly one game with Pav before sending him back to GR and switching Abby back.</sarcasm>

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/12/13 at 10:16 AM ET

I think KH has an agenda here.. Maybe I’m wrong, nonsensical, or completely insane but.. Calgary needs help just like we do. Nyquist is the top prospect for DRW who is tearing the AHL apart in a casual fashion.

Can you say, possible trade bait to a team who needs offensive firecrackers like Nyquist or Filp?
Please, God, let me be crazy and prove to me that this doesn’t happen.

With that being said if Nyquist doesn’t roll out on a top six line alongside Datsyuk then this is a complete waste of resources and could prove to me that Babs and KH are both going out of their minds.

Posted by Hockeytown_Kyle on 03/12/13 at 10:16 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Well, as Nyquist is obviously a grinder and bottom 6 forward no Babs mind, maybe he will put him on the Datsyuk grinding line?

Demot.. I mean, PROMOTE Abs to the 3rd line, since he got that empty netter and is obviously on a roll, and put together a Cleary-Datsyuk-Nyquist grind line!

What?  It makes as much sense as our current second line…

Posted by Zqto on 03/12/13 at 10:16 AM ET

I don’t care who they put on the other side of the wing.. Hell, give Gustavsson a stick and let him skate, just put Goose next to Pasha. Enough is enough!

Posted by Hockeytown_Kyle on 03/12/13 at 10:25 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’d think the move would be to get Tatar off the NHL clock and swap for Nyquist while both are waiver exempt.

I’m not seeing roster room for Cleary anymore given how he’s performed in this half of a half season. Holland is more loyal than this homer. If Tatar and Nyquist can both perform, goodbye Cleary and Filppula.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/12/13 at 10:27 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

So, this means Nyquist is in Calgary practicing with someone?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/12/13 at 10:30 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

More shoot and Hockeytown_Kyle, Nyquist isn’t going anywhere. He’s a Wing, and will be for years to come.

The most logical explanation for this is that Nyquist will join Datsyuk on the second line, and someone (most likely Abby) will drop down to Tatar’s spot on the third line.

Still don’t like seeing Tatar be recalled, as he’s been a sparkplug on a virtually lifeless team, but… I’m not the GM.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 03/12/13 at 10:40 AM ET

You could ask yourself why they would continue to play a fourth liner with no offensive prowess on the second line.

Or you could ask why he wasn’t called up instead of Tatar in the first place

Or why it took so long for anyone in the organization to realize that someone doing so well in Grand Rapids MIGHT be worth calling up.

Or they’re promoting Abdelkader to the top line, benching Brunner, putting Nyquist on the fourth line and having Emmerton on the second line.

I can think of a team who needs offensive firecrackers like Nyquist.

The Detroit Red Wings.

Posted by Garth on 03/12/13 at 10:43 AM ET

Absolutely.

Tatar should still be playing with Andersson & Eaves ad Abdelkader should be sitting in the stands.

Posted by Garth on 03/12/13 at 10:44 AM ET

DrewBehr That’s what I want to believe, trust me. Just my tired and psychotic hockey mind wandering. If Nyquist provides a spark, which inevitably, he will.. Filp and Cleary’s jobs are at stake(which is okay with me.) I’ve always liked Filp as a player, but the writing is on the wall.

Posted by Hockeytown_Kyle on 03/12/13 at 10:47 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

But Abdelkader is a scoring dynamo after his first/last/only point on the empty netter.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/12/13 at 10:50 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Took Babs how many games to, and he hasn’t done it yet, put a skill player in the top 6.  How many games has our 2nd line been Abby Cleary and Pav?  He played Tatar for ONE SHIFT on a line with Pav when while we’ve been not scoring.  One shift.  Abby gets a month?

Ask Buff how Steve Ott is working a a top 6 forward.  They must be rocking and rolling, clearly the best use of resources.

This cluster-fuch of a season has exposed management this year.  All these tag lines they throw out all the time, this is the season they were forced to walk the walk but instead, they keep saying the same things as we take on water.

With as much skill as we have there’s really no reason we should be holding on to a spot by the skin of our teeth.  So what’s the deal?  Speciality teams, 2 years, downward spiral.  Defensive play, JUST coming back and needs work. (since 08)  keep prospects in GR, give BS reasons as we sign discount players, then when the discounts break, we still don’t give young guys a shot.

I guess we’ll see how many shifts Gus lasts on a line with Pavel before they put Abby back in and drop Nyquist to the 4th line and he can log his 6 minutes a night.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/12/13 at 10:53 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Two games max.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/12/13 at 10:57 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Uncle Mike needs to call his doctor about his hard on for Abby.  It’s been more than 4 hours.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/12/13 at 10:58 AM ET

I’m pretty damned stoked this guy’s coming up.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/12/13 at 11:05 AM ET

Lenny's avatar

Pleiness is reporting Flip in vs Flames with Z and Brunner and Gus will play with Pav and Mule.

Posted by Lenny on 03/12/13 at 11:25 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/12/13 at 11:58 AM ET

lmao

SYF, so am I. Honestly probably should’ve been up.  But Abby’s got 1 empty netter this year.  Tatar goes 5 games with 1 point and gets the chop.  Just a symptom of a part of this team I really don’t like.  Just like not benching Franzen or AT LEAST, AT LEAST putting him on the 3rd line for MORE THAN ONE SHIFT, to get him going.

I have a theory one why Wings get sent other places and just take off.  Other teams know how to get the most out of their players.  They aren’t worried about making the GM’s job easier, they’re worried about icing the best team with what they have and giving people opporunity.  This org says they do, but they really don’t.  Not anymore.  We’ve let all these bad habits creep in and we haven’t helped out the talent we have.  Hossa called US, all KH had to do was say ok.  We got Brunner I’ll give’em that.  then?  We’re waiting on Flips breakout year, he’s about to be 30.  It’s unreal.  meanwhile Gus leading the AHL in scoring, been in the hunt all year, point a game player since he’s been, hoby baker finalist 2 years in a row.. I’m just not smart enough to get these moves I guess

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/12/13 at 11:26 AM ET

What?  No, he fixed it last game when he switched Cleary and Franzen.

Posted by Garth on 03/12/13 at 11:37 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

You know, I’m getting a little tired of all the Abdelhating. He is a perfectly fine NHL player and a key component to this team. It isn’t his fault that Coach as placed him in a role that he has no business being in.  He belongs in the 3rd/4th line and killing penalties but Coach won’t give up on him with Pavel.  He doesn’t have the hands to score, but he has the grit to defend and muck. He’s great on a grind line. Don’t blame Abby for sucking; blame Coach for keeping him in a position to fail.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 03/12/13 at 11:48 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Exactly the problem is with Babs. Stupid line combinations that don’t work not just Pav’s line.  It is his sword to fall on if the top 6 fiasco continues to result in woeful offence.

The Kids always get the pine time or sent down with very few exceptions.  (White)

Why not just admit the Wings have 3 grind lines and teams can pound on Z’s line until he/they are exhausted.  Never mind , the Wings are already doing that.

Losing faith in Babs quickly.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/12/13 at 12:17 PM ET

I’m not sure there’s anyone who blames Abdelkader for Babcock’s idiocy.

Other teams know how to get the most out of their players.

Absolutely.  A lot of players would relish the challenge of having to prove themselves as scorers, big-minute defensemen, etc.  Detroit doesn’t give them the chance.

They bring up finesse guys who should be scorers and ask them to play grinding roles.  The bring up big, physical defensemen and give them small minutes.

The Wings left Howard wallowing in the AHL until they had to give him an NHL chance or waive him, and he proved himself to be an NHL goalie.

People apparently figured that Brian Lashoff was an OK AHL defenseman who would never play in the NHL and as soon as he was given the chance he showed he belonged here.

Jonothan Ericcson showed promise in the playoffs a few years ago and he was brought up and given a nothing role.  This year he was pushed into a bigger role and has been one of the best defensemen on the team.

Posted by Garth on 03/12/13 at 12:26 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by Lenny

Too good to be true…  lol

And I agree with Garth on this.. The main problem with the development cycle in our team is, we “overripe” them at the AHL level, and when put them for 1 shift on a NHL game, its either make it or bust…  Years lost on NHL development “overriping” on AHL

I agree its better to play full minutes in the AHL over 5 min a game in the NHL, but in some cases the overzealousness on letting a “rookie” take major minutes have to really cramp their development

Posted by Zqto on 03/12/13 at 12:41 PM ET

when put them for 1 shift on a NHL game, its either make it or bust…

And the bigger problem is “Tomas Tatar, you should be a skilled forward, so you have to make it or bust…while playing on a grinding fourth line.”

You know, because a strong offensive player should be able to produce points no matter who is on his line, right? (See also: Pavel Datsyuk, 2012-13)

Posted by Garth on 03/12/13 at 01:23 PM ET

So we keep hearing in his press Conferences how Babcock wants guys to shoot the puck, go to the net to fight for rebounds and work for those loose pucks around the boards. Tatar seems to be the only one doing those things on a regular basis and he can’t keep a spot on the team.

Posted by lancer on 03/12/13 at 01:52 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Babs actually said this to Khan,

“I thought (Tatar) played really good. I thought he did good things. The only thing is suddenly if you’re not on the power play, where’s he getting his touches? Because Filppula is going to do that. We don’t perceive him ahead of Fil.”

Maybe give him the ice time/touches on PAV’s Line!!! What a stupid comment by Babs, IMO.  I know a radical idea for the Stubborn Coach but WTH, LOL

This move has really me wondering if players actually earn their ice time “Touches” with Babs.

Frustrating and Confusing to this LONG time Wings , Sigh!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/12/13 at 01:57 PM ET

Because Filppula is going to do that. We don’t perceive him ahead of Fil.

Beauty.  So the guy who’s been out with a shoulder injury is still higher on the depth chart than the young skilled guy.  How about give him his god damn touches while Filppula is out?

Posted by Garth on 03/12/13 at 02:16 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

All I can do is shake my head at this point.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/12/13 at 02:26 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Best two sentences written by someone other than the Master Chief this year. Too funny.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/12/13 at 06:59 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’ll believe the Gus with Pav scenario when I see it.

As for Fil returning, I had no idea something like that would actually make me feel happy. This really is a very weird season.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/12/13 at 07:01 PM ET