The Malik Report

Nyquist “A Man Amongst Boys”

via Corey Pronman of the NHL Draft Blog at ESPN (paid subscription),

Gustav Nyquist, RW, Detroit Red Wings

"Playing above and beyond", "Doesn't belong in this league" and "A man amongst boys," are just some of the things I've heard when asking scouts about Nyquist's play so far. Currently tied for second in the AHL scoring race, Detroit's fourth-round pick in 2008 has displayed the very high level of skill scouts have grown accustomed to seeing from Nyquist going back to his time at the University of Maine. With his combination of puck skills, vision and overall offensive hockey sense to go along with an ability to consistently create chances thus far at the pro level, Nyquist will likely push for quality NHL ice time right away when the league re-opens.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Paying attention Babs? Put him on Datsyuk’s wing and leave him there.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/08/12 at 12:21 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Any bets he has to slog out 4th line minutes IF there’s a season this year?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 11/08/12 at 12:27 PM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

I usually give the team’s management the benefit of the doubt, but if Nyquist isn’t given a legitimate shot at the top two lines, I’m going to be very unhappy.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 11/08/12 at 01:57 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Also worth noting Tatar is only 2 points behind and is tied also with Billins (Billins hasn’t scored a goal yet though, it’s all assists) putting them in a 12 way tie for 4th in league scoring.

I agree with other posters about management taking notice.  I know Babs was going to slot Gus probably 3rd line with Sammy and Helm or Bert and Helm.  He belongs with the top talent.  Hope to see him there when the NHL starts back up.  He’s def earning it now.

Imagine a Flip-Zetterberg-Brunner/Nyquist-Pavel-Franzen.  If their skills and chemistry translate from their current situations, could be smokin’ hot.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/08/12 at 04:50 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/08/12 at 03:50 PM ET

Right now I’m still working on imagining there’s a season in which these guys might play.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/09/12 at 09:28 AM ET