The Malik Report

Now that’s a leak: have the Red Wings hired an architect to design Joe Louis Arena’s follow-on rink?

Now this is as intriguing as all hell get out, as reported by the Detroit News, the Detroit Free Press’s John Gallagher and 97.1 FM:

SportsBusiness Journal’s Don Muret suggests that the Red Wings’ owners have (via Curbed’s Sarah Cox) tagged architect Chad Krieger Sieniewicz and the architectural firm HKS to design Joe Louis Arena’s follow-on facility, according to SportsBusiness Journal’s Don Muret:

The Detroit Red Wings have selected an architect to design a new NHL arena in downtown Detroit, a sign the team is moving ahead with the project.HKS, co-designer of American Airlines Center, will team with Chan Krieger NBBJ, a Boston architect specializing in urban developments, according to three industry sources. Officials with HKS in Dallas and Chan Krieger NBBJ said they could not comment on the project.

Karen Cullen, a corporate spokeswoman for the Red Wings, said there was nothing new to report, adding “our organization has been on record saying we’d like to have a new arena in downtown Detroit.”

The Red Wings intend to develop a new 18,000-seat facility to replace outdated Joe Louis Arena, sources said. Over the past few years, the team has considered renovating the 33-year-old, city-owned facility as well as sharing the Palace of Auburn Hills with the NBA Pistons and building a new arena for both teams.
...
The Red Wings chose HKS after requesting qualifications from sports architects with experience designing major league facilities. AECOM; 360 Architecture; Populous, designer of Comerica Park, home of the Ilitch-owned MLB Tigers; and Rossetti, architect for the Palace and Ford Field, home of the NFL Lions, were short-listed. Chris Ilitch, CEO and president of Ilitch Holdings, interviewed the candidates in Detroit, sources said.
...
Chan Krieger NBBJ’s work includes a West Riverfront mixed-use project in Detroit, according to its website. The project, part of a 5 1/2-mile stretch of redevelopment along the Detroit River that includes Joe Louis Arena, remains in the planning stages.

The responsibility of architect Alex Krieger, founding principal of Chan Krieger NBBJ and a Harvard professor of urban design, is to develop an entertainment district tied to a new arena in Detroit, similar to Nationwide Arena in Columbus and Staples Center in Los Angeles, sources said.

Pro Hockey Talk’s Jason Brough has surmised that the Wings will build the rink behind the Fox Theatre, but all scuttlebutt suggests that the rink will slide nicely into the parcels of land directly to the east and south of the Masonic Temple along Temple and Woodward, just north of I-75.

Sportsline’s Brian Stubits and MLive’s Josh Slaghter took note of the report as well.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RWBill's avatar

I would like it to resemble the Olympia on the outside, at least close enough to pay tribute to it.

That would put it up here, 3 or 4 blocks north, or up Woodward, from Hockeytown Cafe, still right in the new “Stadium District.”

But please, no AA Arena design, or Honda Arena in Anaheim even though it is handsome surrounded by palm trees, please make it resemble the Olympia.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/12 at 10:45 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The reports I’ve read suggest that all of that chunk of Woodward north of I-75, from the freeway up to Temple Street, will be the spot where the new rink and its parking facilities are built.

I’m sure that it will include elements of Olympia and the Joe…With more luxury suites and better facilities. And it may very well include a second rink as a practice facility and/or secondary site to hold events.

The Ilitches attempted to buy the Palace because they wanted to gobble up their competition, and you can bet that this rink is going to be a multi-use facility designed to out-bid the Palace for elite events…So my biggest concern, sightlines aside, is the ice. It’s got to be some of the best ice in the league, period.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/21/12 at 10:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well, at least make the marquee resemble the Olympia I mean, the building is fairly plain.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/12 at 10:59 PM ET

gusoline's avatar

OK, I may be dreaming here, but I swear I went to games at Olympia where there was chicken wire (or something similar) instead of plexiglass, but I was only 8 or 9 when I went to my last game, so I could very much be having issues with my memory.  Anyone a bit older help out?

Posted by gusoline on 05/21/12 at 11:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’m sure that it will include elements of Olympia and the Joe… It’s got to be some of the best ice in the league, period.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/21/12 at 09:55 PM ET

Well that’s quite a sizable area then.  I would be concerned about the effect on the ice when making it multi-use, but investing all that money it will take in the 21st century to build a new facility it would be very selfish of us to expect it to be dedicated only to Red Wings hockey.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/12 at 11:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by gusoline on 05/21/12 at 10:04 PM ET

Are you sure that wasn’t softball?  smile

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/12 at 11:06 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Chicken wire was indeed the norm before glass…

And yeah, from what I understood, the suggestions that Babcock made—that there will be a rink or rinks, plural, and that we’re looking at some sort of combo retail/residential/park type development are pretty accurate. Either the Foxtown area will get a major upgrade—eventually—or we’re talking about a huge investment in redeveloping the chunk of land between Woodward and Cass just north of I-75 as a sort of Foxtown North.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/21/12 at 11:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The Old Red Barn

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/12 at 11:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

In attendance were a number of die-hard super-fans, including Peter “Cappy” Wojtaszek, a Detroit gym teacher who gained his nickname because of the hats he wore to games. Cappy had season tickets and sat in the same seat–Seat 1, Row A, Section 26–for every game between 1927 and 1979–except for one. In 1974, he was rushed to the hospital with a heart attack. “He told the doctors, because they had already ruined his night, the least they could do was get him a radio so he could hear the game,” recalled his granddaughter. “He got it.”

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/12 at 11:13 PM ET

gusoline's avatar

Thanks for letting me know there is a chance I’m not crazy, but this would have been in the late 70s.  Even if they did use chicken wire, what would be the last year?  My dad took me a couple games a year so maybe this is an earlier memory mixed up?

Posted by gusoline on 05/21/12 at 11:16 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It could be an earlier memory. Glass was much more standard at rinks later on, though I cannot rule out the concept of using the old stuff in a pinch.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/21/12 at 11:20 PM ET

gusoline's avatar

Thanks, George.

On the topic of a New Olympia, interesting idea, but not sure I like it:http://www.newolympia.blogspot.com/

I think I would prefer a completely modern stadium with some external design cues that point to Olympia - maybe the arches in the front?

Posted by gusoline on 05/21/12 at 11:27 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

I started goin to games in 74 and always had glass Gus. Might have it mixed up with another rink. I do miss the ol Olympia and hope they do incorporate some of the exterior features. I figured the seating would be an upgrade from the current 20,000 but to go down to 18,000? Must not include any of the boxes.

Hope you are feeling better George and Thanks again for all the great World Cup and Memorial Cup updates with the current and future Wing players. You are truly a gentleman and a scholar.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 05/21/12 at 11:36 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Hell, I’m sorry that this hit so late. I was so tired today that I literally couldn’t get up and stay up, so a certain someone who has to do “continued education” courses for work stole the laptop and I just crashed. the Worlds were wonderful, just wonderful—and Tomas Jurco registered an assist as the Sea Dogs beat the Oil Kings 5-2, evening their Memorial Cup record at 1-1, which is good—but I’m f’ing beat up from the workload.

Regarding the rink, I think we’re going to see a blend of old and new. I know that the Wings literally wanted to put big windows in the concourse at the Joe to mitigate its, “Old, dark cave” effect, and that kind of tendency toward natural lighting might take hold in the new rink, but it’s hard to imagine the Ilitches doing anything less than ensuring that the rink has some old-school cues that will allow it to age as well as Comerica has. They’re gonna want to build a gathering place as much as anything else, so it’s going to be iconic, but it just can’t date itself like the Palace has. The Palace screams late 80’s/early 90’s architecture and you want to build a building that will last.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/21/12 at 11:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That area would be up this way on the left, across from the apartments.  This is taken from the upstairs deck of Hockeytown.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/12 at 11:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by gusoline on 05/21/12 at 10:27 PM ET

Yeah gus I was thinking something like that.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/12 at 11:46 PM ET

I love the Joe but, when they do build, I just hope the new place has a respectable name.  I don’t want to attend games at the “Preparation H Center” or “Burger King Arena.”

Posted by Leslie from Hockeytown on 05/22/12 at 07:44 PM ET