The Malik Report

Notes From The Wings’ Morning Skate

added 11:32am, via Khan tweets,

Babcock confirms Nyquist will play with Zetterberg and Franzen. Datsyuk will play with Bertuzzi and Cleary.

Orher lines are Helm with Tatar and Abdelkader; Andersson with Miller and Samuelsson.

Nyquist will play on the power play, too.

The defense pairs are Kronwall-Ericsson, Quincey-Smith, Lashoff-Kindl. Howard starting in goal.

added 11:46am, Official release on Nyquist is below...

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today recalled right wing Gustav Nyquist from the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins and assigned left wing Trevor Parkes to the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye.

Nyquist, 24, currently leads the Griffins and is tied for fourth in the AHL with 21 points (7-14-21) in 15 games. The Halmstad, Sweden, native has appeared in 40 career games with the Red Wings over the last two seasons, recording 13 points (4-9-13). He has also skated in 18 playoff games, notching five points (2-3-5), including an overtime-winning goal against Anaheim during the 2013 Western Conference Quarterfinals. A third-year pro, Nyquist has 143 points (53-90-143) in 137 games with Grand Rapids, in addition to seven points (2-5-7) in 10 games during the team’s Calder Cup championship run last spring.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

SnLO's avatar

Nyquist just took the ice and got the slap of the sticks on the ice from teammates

Seems we’re not the only ones that recognize he belongs with the big club.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 11/21/13 at 11:52 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Seems we’re not the only ones that recognize he belongs with the big club.

Posted by SnLO

Yep, that made me really happy

Posted by Zqto on 11/21/13 at 11:55 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Glad he’s up, I hope it lasts and doesn’t get sent down tomorrow. He’ll help with offense and should provide the Wings with a slight uptick in goal scoring. Long season guys, 60 more games to go. Haven’t even seen the Habs, Leafs yet.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 11/21/13 at 11:59 AM ET

pilgrim's avatar

[quoteI I hate that Kenny had to send him down, but I agree with 1 point he made on his interview: People are expecting Nyquist to come up and solve all our problems, and that’s NOT gonna happen]

Which people? I think most (all?) of Nyquist’s boosters simply argue that he has a better toolkit to help this team’s goal scoring problems than some other players currently getting ice time.

Posted by pilgrim from the ice at the bottom of the world on 11/21/13 at 12:08 PM ET

Pilgrim. Thanks. People don’t think Nike I’d going to be Crosby, they just think he’s much better than Sammy. And probably Danny. And Miller. And…well, you get the idea.

Posted by teldar on 11/21/13 at 12:34 PM ET

Well, you are both (along with HiHD) are incorrect.

Datsyuk will play with Bertuzzi and Cleary.

Why does Babcock love Cleary so much and apparently hate Datsyuk so much?

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 12:36 PM ET

I should have said “are” more.

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 12:37 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Yeah I don’t understand Cleary being rewarded with top line duties. If anything Tatar should be the one on the top line.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 11/21/13 at 12:45 PM ET

If anything Tatar should be the one on the top line.

Why not put Franzen and Bert on Zetterberg’s line and give Tatar and Nyquist to Datsyuk?

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 12:56 PM ET

HeilThom's avatar

Why not Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Tatar? Boo.

Posted by HeilThom from Hockeytown, USA on 11/21/13 at 12:58 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I should have said “are” more.

Posted by Garth

lol

But seriously, you think Nyquist os gonna solve all our problems?
I hope you are right, but Im not that easy to convince
Our D is a mess right now
Any games this season where either Kronwall or DeKeyser gets off, we will suffer the consequences of Quincey on the second pairing, and badly

Posted by Zqto on 11/21/13 at 01:03 PM ET

Datsyuk and Z are similar players - split them up. Franzen and Bert - same. But why not use Nyquist and Tatar on the top 2 lines? Cleary? Really? And on the D they also need to split up Quincey and Smith. Putting the turnover tandem together is a recipe for disaster.

Posted by IMOrthodox13 on 11/21/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Datsyuk will play with Bertuzzi and Cleary.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 11/21/13 at 01:16 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

But seriously, you think Nyquist os gonna solve all our problems?
I hope you are right, but Im not that easy to convince

I think his point was that no one who has asked for Nyquist to get promoted is expecting him to solve all of the Wings problems.  I’m not sure how people wanting the Wings to ice the best team possible turned into “Nyquist is the second coming,” but I haven’t seen any comments on this forum that made me think anyone was overreaching when it comes to Nyquist’s expectations.

Its been pretty clear that without a defensive overhall, this team is middling at best, no matter how many forwards Holland tries to throw at the problem.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/21/13 at 01:25 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by SYF from minding the gap on 11/21/13 at 12:16 PM ET

That made me laugh from a good, healthy place

Thanks, I needed that

Posted by Hootinani on 11/21/13 at 01:26 PM ET

But seriously, you think Nyquist os gonna solve all our problems?

NO!  I don’t.  At all.

That’s what I was saying you’re wrong about.

Somehow, people are getting the impression that we (ie. those of us who want him in Detroit) think Nyquist is going to be a savior.  We don’t.  It’s just that those of us who want him in Detroit think that he is a piece to the puzzle and that the Red Wings are a better team with a better chance of winning if he is on the team rather than being in Grand Rapids.

I think people get the impression that we think he’s a saviour because he’s being brought up so much, but the reason he’s being brought up so much is that he, by all rights, should have been on the team on Day 1 of the season.  He got screwed by Holland’s handiwork and the team is not better off without him.

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 01:35 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I think the only people that believe people think that Nyquist is the second coming and team savior is HiHD and KH. Everyone I’ve encountered only believe that Nyquist belongs with the big club, not down in the minors; and would help with improving the overall quality of the team..

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 11/21/13 at 01:39 PM ET

perfection's avatar

who exactly is “(ie. those of us who want him in Detroit)” Garth? wouldn’t that be EVERYONE including Babs and Kenny?? Even the Griff coaches and players probably think he belongs in Detroit. So why are you differentiating yourself as somehow ahead of the curve because you want what everyone else quite obviously wants?

i think the only reason anyone’s pointing out that Gus isn’t going to be a “savior” is because people like yourself (ie. those who endlessly talk about wanting in him in Detroit) seem to bring him up EVERY time the team can’t score or loses a game. So while you may not call him a savior explicitly, when “Nyquist” is the retort for any team critique, it starts to look like you think that.

But yeah, this is OBVIOUSLY great news. WE (ie. those of us who want Nyquist up not those self congratulatory ones of us who think we were the only ones who wanted him up) should be very excited. It’s cute that you act like Kenny is finally “giving in” or something and that this wasn’t a simple math equation he’s been waiting all season for.

In fact, I think when most of us (ie. rational people) said that Gus would probably be up sooner than later the response was usually something like “get real idiot” or whatever your insult of the day was) “there’s no chance, we’re doomed, blah blah blah…. Cleary”

Well, looks there was a chance huh?

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/21/13 at 01:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Including Nyquist.  Nyquist may make the forwards marginally better but he isn’t going to solve the defensive problems facing this team.

Posted by calquake on 11/21/13 at 01:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Soooo….

...either the “players signed off on signing Cleary” is a flat-out lie… or the players did in fact, and have since realized it was a mistake.

I’m so sick of splitting up Z and Pavel.  So sick of it.  “Hey , maybe try #84 will be THE time that it finally gets others going!”.  It also makes no sense in that Weiss and Alfredsson have been out, and I thought Tatar-Helm-Franzen has been a good line.

The Line Blender is why Babcock’s critics will always have ammo.

But hey, at least we’re not having to be reminded Quincey-Smith is a pairing again!

Posted by Primis on 11/21/13 at 02:01 PM ET

who exactly is “(ie. those of us who want him in Detroit)” Garth?

Stop being so disingenuous, even a simple mind could figure out what I meant.

You help your credibility when you make up bullshit a la HockeyinHD.

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 02:01 PM ET

YES HE IS HE’S GOING TO SCORE ALL THE GOALS AND PLAY DEFENSE AND BE THE GOALIE TOO AND HE’S GOING TO MAKE COACHING DECISIONS AND TAKE OVER BEING GM AND HE’S GOING TO MAKE GARY BETTMAN CHANGE THE RULES SO THE RED WINGS CAN SIGN WHOEVER THEY WANT AND IF YOU DON’T THINK SO THEN YOU’RE WRONG.

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 02:03 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Why does Babcock love Cleary so much and apparently hate Datsyuk so much?

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 11:36 AM ET

Maybe he thinks by saddling Datsyuk with Cleary he has a chance to make Datsyuk look ordinary, or, Cleary look good. Maybe he does not like any player that is not a big, mean, ugly-tough guy Canadian.  He has stated as much before, only he did not specify Canadian, although it was implied.

At this point, I don’t give a crap what Babcock thinks.  I don’t care what nationality any player is as long as he helps us win.  I’m rambling now.  Whatever.

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/21/13 at 02:12 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 01:03 PM ET

Hey Garth, put down the coffee mug dude it’s affecting your brain.  Shouting doesn’t make your point more salient it just makes it seem childish.

Posted by calquake on 11/21/13 at 02:19 PM ET

Cleary on the top line is a trick.  The other coaches read our posts about how terrible he his etc..

so they will under estimate the magic of Pavel put less than their best defense on the ice and ultimately give Pavel the opportunity to (as Micky says) “Cork screw” someone into the ice.

Given all the double shifting and in game line changes over the past several games I am sure that Pav and Z will get good ice time together as well as Helm, Tatar and Nyquist.  It will be a “work in progress” (as described by Babs in post game comments)

LGRW the new streak starts tonight

Posted by AZ_WingNut on 11/21/13 at 05:16 PM ET