The Malik Report

Not cool: Gordie Howe’s 300th goal puck up for auction

I’m not a fan of the concepts of cutting up Original Six legends’ equipment and/or sweaters to place little swatches thereof on hockey cards, nor am I a big fan of the fact that so many of the NHL’s most important historic pieces of memorabilia tend to find their way into private collectors’ hands these days, and WWJ reports that a significant milestone puck from one Gordie Howe is on the auction block:

Hockey Nuts, here is your chance to own a piece of Detroit history! Actually, it’s your chance to own a piece of a legend. On Friday, March 11, the DuMouchelle Gallery in Detroit will auction off the Gordie Howe 300th Goal signed puck.

The puck has had the same owner for the last 50 years, Bill Whiting of Rochester Hills. His mom won the puck at a school auction in 1960 when Bill was 14. Gordie Howe, he says, was his hero. Now, he says it’s time for the puck to find a new loving home. DuMouchelles says the puck will likely see an auction price of $5,000 to $6,000.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Couldn’t donate it to the Wings’ memorabilia collection, Bill?  Jeebus…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/02/11 at 05:01 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Gabe?  Oh Gabe…....

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 03/02/11 at 05:16 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

*twitch*

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 03/02/11 at 07:54 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

By the way, George, I fully agree with you on the subject of cutting up jerseys and sticks, and I would much rather see something like this in the hands of the Wings organization than a private collector….but you can’t fault someone for letting go of an item like this….not in this economy anyway.

What bothers me more is how these things are valued…I know of a Gordie Howe game worn jersey up for auction right now that’ll probably fetch twice that amount.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 03/02/11 at 08:06 PM ET

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 03/02/11 at 05:06 PM ET

Wait until Mr. Hockey passes away and watch the value of those items go nuts.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/02/11 at 09:18 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Anyone (or any group of people) to whom five grand means less than having this puck in its rightful place is free to buy the puck and donate it, no?

Wings fans, put your money where your mouth is.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 03/03/11 at 12:05 AM ET