The Malik Report

Not Only The Turning Point Of The Game, But Maybe The Series Too

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

The Detroit Red Wings had a glorious opportunity to put the game away, getting a five-minute power play when leading by a goal late in the second period.

But, they couldn't generate much pressure, let alone score. Then, their man-advantage was cut short by 49 seconds due to their own penalty. Then,  Ryan Getzlaf scored a power-play goal with 32 seconds remaining in the second period to tie it for the Anaheim Ducks.

Detroit still had chances to win in the third period. But, after Nick Bonino scored at 1:54 of overtime to give Anaheim a 3-2 victory in Game 5 of the Western Conference quarterfinal playoff series at the Honda Center, the Red Wings looked back at that botched power play as the turning point of the game.

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Mandingo's avatar

That’s when I turned the game off. There’s no coming back from something like that, particularly when you’re a talent-deficient team to begin with.

Hopefully this was a learning experience for the kids. And hopefully the Wings find a way to generate pressure on the power play again. It’s been missing for years now. And if a supposed power play genius like Tom Renney can’t turn it around, you have to wonder if it’s been a personnel issue all along.

This team needs to do some serious soul searching.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/09/13 at 09:05 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I’m pretty sure I saw Filppula shoot the puck last night. That’s something, right? Baby steps….  sick

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/09/13 at 09:46 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The Wings had 15 shots in the 2nd period, but only one of them came in the four minutes and 11 seconds of that power play. That’s just ridiculous.

Brunner and Sammy on the points are a mistake. Put Smith with Kronner and Lashoff with Kindl, and then have St. Nick email them a description of how to “slide” along the blue line with the puck until they find an open lane. Standing in one spot (usually in the center) and shooting into six bodies isn’t a recipe for success.

And, fer cripes sake, cycle – not the puck with that slow-ass “pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, shoot” crap that they use now. Cycle the bodies. No one is fooled by five guys standing still playing “catch.” Moving the people forces the defenders to move, and that’s what opens up lanes and opportunities.

This ain’t rocket science. Anyone who watches teams who are successful on the power play understands this.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/09/13 at 09:50 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Agreed Mandingo. That was a back breaker. We’ve all seen it before, and sitting on the couch waiting for the momentum to shift is enough to make someone huff paint behind the garage.

It’s nice and all to see the kids discover a moment of brilliance here and there. They just aren’t quite ready to handle this #2 seed Ducks team I don’t think. I’ll give this fuc*ing flock some credit - they don’t $hi+ the bed often, and when they gain control - they keep it and pile on. It’s a little too much for our wobbly D as well. Lashoff looked miserable last night. He got walked on the OT winner, and nobody backed that up. And while we see strong plays from E, Smith, Kindl and Q periodically…... they are in no way immune to making bonehead decisions at any given moment.

The Ducks leave little room for error. You have to admit it.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/09/13 at 09:52 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

The Wings are the 5th best power play this postseason. Unfortunately they couldn’t get it done yesterday. If anyone thinks these games wouldn’t be tight is fooling themselves.  That game could of went either way last night and to stop watching cuz you know how it’s going to end shows what kind of fan you are.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 05/09/13 at 10:13 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

topshelf14 -

Did you watch overtime? That game was only going one way at that point.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/09/13 at 10:19 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Yes I watched the game last night.  I think the game was close throughout, jimmy bailed us out a few times, and hiller bailed the ducks out too.  I’m disappointed they didn’t get it done but I’m still proud of this team for being able to battle all year and hang around in most games.  #1 team in man games lost to injury and to still make the playoffs and take the #2 seed to overtime in multiple games is impressive.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 05/09/13 at 10:28 AM ET

peiz11's avatar

While I agree the OT was a disaster, it’s real easy to say that there was no way for them to win after the fact and you’re so much smarter then us who didn’t give up. Under some of your logic, after that PP they should have just skated off the ice since a 2-2 tie game is impossible to come back from apparently.

Sometimes we don’t need to psychoanalyze everything. They had their chances and the puck didn’t go in that’s all there is to it. They competed well and got caught in their end for the first few minutes of OT and it cost them.

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 05/09/13 at 10:30 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I look at it this way…

I didn’t really expect them to make the playoffs, but they did.  I didn’t expect them to make much of this series, but they did.  I don’t expect them to win the series, but they might.  at every step of the way they are achieving beyond what I expected.

losing the series will suck, but won’t be a surprise.

I just like to see all the good things happening, and look forward to watching this team gel even more over the course of a full season.

and it’ll be a short off-season, to boot!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/09/13 at 10:32 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

That’s when I turned the game off. There’s no coming back from something like that.
Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/09/13 at 09:05 AM ET

Of course there is.  The game was tied with 20 minutes left.

They played a pretty even third period and several more chances to win.  This team has plenty of resiliency.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/09/13 at 10:41 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Excited to see how they come out with their backs against the wall. It worked well for them down the stretch.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/09/13 at 10:41 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

This team needs to do some serious soul searching.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/09/13 at 09:05 AM ET

LMAO, Whut?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/09/13 at 10:48 AM ET

peiz11's avatar

I look at it this way…

losing the series will suck, but won’t be a surprise.

and it’ll be a short off-season, to boot!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/09/13 at 10:32 AM ET

Agree with all of this. It’s kind of fun watching what will be the future of this team work hard and over achieve what people expected. Look, they get to go home, need to win one game and then it’s a game 7. Crazy things happen in game 7’s.

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 05/09/13 at 10:52 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I take it Mandingo is the resident ultrapessimist…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/09/13 at 10:52 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

I was saying to myself about half-way thru the 3rd, that it doesn’t matter who wins this game, it’s going 7 games.  It’s just been that kind of series.  Home ice means jack shit, and I was pretty sure whoever won last night was going to lose Game 6.  Hope I’m right.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/09/13 at 10:53 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/09/13 at 09:46 AM ET

Halfway through the third, I think 10:15 mark give or take 10 seconds, I saw Filpulla make contact with an opposing forward while forechecking.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/09/13 at 10:53 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Did you watch overtime? That game was only going one way at that point.

Posted by TKShreve on 05/09/13 at 10:19 AM ET

Again, hilarious.  The game was “so over” and “so going one way” that it took all of 20 minutes more plus going into overtime for it to go that way.  Jesus Lashoff, in the light of day and after a cup of coffee I hope you can realize what a crazy notion that is.  People who have played sports or even watched enough from their couch realize if you keep battling you have a chance to win.  You probably haven’t been watching much all year if you fail to recognize the resiliency of this team.  They make mistakes but have never quit.  There was absolutely no “irreversible landslide of crushing momentum”.  Just silly.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/09/13 at 10:56 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I take it Mandingo is the resident ultrapessimist…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/09/13 at 10:52 AM ET

He’ll pretty much say outloud what a lot of people are thinking in the dark recesses of their mind but don’t want to give in to.  i.e., everyone has an inner Mandingo.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/09/13 at 11:01 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/09/13 at 10:53 AM ET

Lord have mercy! His agent’s gonna be asking for more than 5 now. How’s Tick Tock going to free up that kind of money?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/09/13 at 11:05 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

They had 2 mental breakdowns that cost them the game.  2 points they got wore out mentally and went soft.

5 minute power-play.  Compared to the past couple games, they used it as a break to catch their breath and “slow the game down” (Lidas slowed it down by stopping the forecheck.. he didn’t slow it down in the O-zone)  You went from watching 5 on 5 where they chip it in and haul ass down the boards for it, to chipping in and coasting 70’.  Right there in your replay.  They stopped moving their legs on the PP.  Same goes with standing around once they gain the zone.  Ducks will just collapse the box and block wherever you pass it while pressure one guy.  You HAVE TO MAKE THEM SWITCH COVERAGE to get some gaps or quality chances.  But instead, they went back to regular season Wings and used it as a breather.  Lack of skate to throat when it mattered.

2nd was in OT. IMMEDIATELY I saw our guys went from playing a physical game to playing the puck again.  Again, a regular season problem.  Everytime a Wing had a chance to finish a check and take that player out of the play, they went for the puck then got burned.  They’d just pass it back and forth to eachother and sustained zone pressure without expending a lot of energy really.  Kindl arrived at a guy same time as the puck along the boards and instead of taking the guy out of the play, he tried to dig the puck out.  The Duck was able to make a clean play back around and keep the zone.  If he’d have checked him, the puck probably goes out of the zone.  It was like that all of OT.  Lashoff did the same onthe winner.  He plays the puck instead of the body.  We used to kill teams who tried to do this to us, that’s why EVERYONE plays the body against the Wings now.  We have to do the same since we dont’ have 13 HOF’ers on the team anymore.

Those two mental breakdowns cost us the game.  They’ll be aware of them, they’ll think about them next time they’re in those situations and hopefully they do the right thing next time.  All good learning experiences for our younger guys.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/09/13 at 11:06 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Did you watch overtime? That game was only going one way at that point.

Posted by TKShreve on 05/09/13 at 10:19 AM ET

If you mean the last 30 seconds of overtime, I’ll agree with that, a lot of us posted something bad was about to happen.  If you back up 25 minutes to the pathetic 5 minute PP, then no.

That was a missed opportunity to stack the game in our favor, but not the point that gave Anaheim the game.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/09/13 at 11:07 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/09/13 at 11:05 AM ET

That’s the first thing I thoguht too Vlad “There’s a million dollar.. touch?.. right there”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/09/13 at 11:08 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Nice to see and read realists on here who understand the Wings are going through “growing pains” that will serve them well in the future.  We Wingaholics get down from time to time and we groan and complain but we love our team and understand you don’t win the Cup every year.  The Wings are playing as well or better than could be expected under the circumstances.  It’s been a transitional season but the future does look very bright.

Posted by calquake on 05/09/13 at 11:12 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

and just remember, we had three rookies win a game to avoid going down 3-1 in the series, instead tying it 2-2.  now it’s 3-2, another home game coming up.  I don’t know what Babbles is saying to them, what the on-ice leaders like Hank are saying.  but it’s working.

they’re right in this series, five games into it.  a lot of us expected it to be over by now.  they have a real shot at pulling off a huge upset.

I just hope Babbles keeps babbling whatever it is he’s babbling, because he’s getting more out of a team of playoff noobs than any of us expected.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/09/13 at 11:15 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

I was specifically referring to overtime. Pretty much all 1:54 of it. We looked confused and homeless imo.

If you take the entire game into account I think we played pretty well, and have so most of this series. I do not take for granted that these ducks are a #2 seed with plenty of playoff experience. Add in that Corey Purry has been on the schneid thus far.

Hell, we had three posts last night. I saw some saying posts don’t mean shi+, but I disagree. Posts can deflect into the net. They can bounce off a players skate, bounce off the goalies back, leave a juicy rebound, disorient the defense but most importantly, get into the goalies head.

I just get frustrated when you see the fabric come undone with one lousy shift that cascades into the following shifts. I’m not used to that….. or you can say Wings fans have been spoiled over the years.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/09/13 at 11:21 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I’ve learned one thing these first 5 games:  what happens one game doesn’t carry over, and there is no game flow because both teams are going period by period.

We can glean nothing from Game 5 because Game 6 will be yet another reboot that stands alone.

I don’t say that to encourage or discourage… I say it because it just is.  This has been one of the weirdest playoff series’ I can remember.

Posted by Primis on 05/09/13 at 11:34 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

This has been one of the weirdest playoff series’ I can remember.

I agree with this.  Nothing consistent from game to game.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/09/13 at 11:52 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didnt we hit 3 or 4 posts last night? And they weren’t “outsides of the post from bad angles” posts, but excellent shots.

A game of inches, folks.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 05/09/13 at 12:16 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by calquake on 05/09/13 at 11:12 AM ET

Some of it might be groing pains (see Brunner and Andersson), but with Smith, Lashoff and Kindl is it growing pains or is it running out of talent? The loss of Rafi, Stuie and Lids gave these guys a chance to show what they can do. They are working hard and doing their best. But what if the best they can be are solid AHL players? DeKeyser, an undrafted college free agent has only played a month of NHL games and he has already progressed passed these guys.

Kindl might make a serviceable 5/6 who is able handle minimal minutes. But Lashoff and Smith seemed to have regressed in the playoffs. I agree with the peanut gallery, play Cola and White in game six. They at least have some playoff experience. They can’t be any worse at handling the duh ucks forecheck pressure behind the net on the breakout passes.

Is it me or are most of the duh ucks goals from sustained pressure in the zone when Detroit fails to clear? The inability to get the puck out of the zone is the difference in this series.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/09/13 at 12:37 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

past not passed.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/09/13 at 12:38 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/09/13 at 12:37 PM ET

Smith is up and down.  Smith sometimes looks quite brilliant, especially in the offensive zone.

The sustained pressure has been the other way too.  DET’s sustained pressure has come from hold-ins when the Ducks fail to get a good clear.  One thing the young d-men have genuinely improved on is the hold-ins in this playoffs.  In the reg. season they ALWAYS got past, always.  In the playoffs they’ve done a better job.

Posted by Primis on 05/09/13 at 12:46 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

that has been a problem all season.  they have shifts where they just can’t get the puck that last foot out of the zone.  I don’t understand why they don’t realize it as it’s happening, and just flip it in the air out of the zone.  such a simple play.

and every time I see it starting to happen, I fully expect the puck to end up in the net.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/09/13 at 12:48 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Smith sometimes looks quite brilliant, especially in the offensive zone.

That’s the only reason he’s been kept around IMO.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/09/13 at 12:48 PM ET

I noticed it sporadically during the regular season too, but now it seems like it is point #1 in the ducks game plan. Every single breakout is vigoursly contested, even when the ducks are changing.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/09/13 at 01:05 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

A 5-minute major changes every hockey game it is a part of; whether it’s the PP team scoring a goal, if not two, or the PK team gaining momentum from killing it off - 5 minute PPs are game-changers.

In the playoffs, they are series-changers.

And that sucks.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/09/13 at 01:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

2 games left to play in a best of 7. I am burning with “Optimism’s Flame.”

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/09/13 at 01:44 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.” - - Marilyn vos Savant

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/09/13 at 01:56 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal

As PIMB noted, this has been a problem all year (and last year as well). I think the Wings have “puck possession” so ingrained in them that they won’t take an “easy out” just to relieve pressure. They always seem determined they’re going to “make a play” with the puck no matter how small the chance is of doing that.

If I had a buck for every time in the last two years I’ve screamed at the TV “Just get it out,” I’d be a very rich man. Well, okay, maybe not rich but at least moderately comfortable. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/09/13 at 01:57 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

“Every time a Wing had a chance to finish a check and take that player out of the play, they went for the puck then got burned.”

After the Abby suspension and the comments Queazy made, I’m starting to think the players (especially our younger D) are more afraid of the officials than they are of the Ducks.

I think they’d be more physical on a consistent basis if they knew what would be called interference or boarding. What exactly will they get a 5 and a game for ??

I think its time for the coaching staff to remind these guys to forget about the officials and just play their game. If they get called then they’ll deal with it when it happens.  The crew working the Montreal Ottawa series is letting a lot of stuff slide and its a hell of a series to watch.  It shows you the difference between good and bad officiating.  Hard to believe the rules can be interpreted so differently.

Down 3-2 in a series they shouldn’t be in due to so many man games lost over the regular season isn’t a bad place to be in really.  Lets hope they just relax and play their game.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 05/09/13 at 03:23 PM ET

calquake's avatar

If my Dmen are having trouble getting the puck out of the zone due to a forecheck then I expect my forwards to be back in our zone.  Standing out at center ice or outside the blueline when the D is pinned in is no way to break an agressive forecheck.

Posted by calquake on 05/09/13 at 05:20 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

“If my Dmen are having trouble getting the puck out of the zone due to a forecheck then I expect my forwards to be back in our zone.”

In the regular season they were ... which is why their offencive output was down.

In the playoffs they are trying to ‘cheat’ a little bit more ... play up a little more because they need more scoring opportunities.

If the D can’t move the puck out of their own zone then I guess its time we got some that can.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 05/09/13 at 06:19 PM ET