The Malik Report

Not Much News Out Of Wings’ Practice Today

Khan had tweeted earlier of Samuelsson leaving practice early, as did Jimmy Howard.

added 2:00pm,

added 3:07pm, The Wings discuss the round 2 schedule...

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

"I think it's nice," Zetterberg said. "It's nice to fly home after Game 1 and fly back. It's going to be nice to spend some more time at home with your families and, at the same time, play on the road."

The Wings knew Sunday night they wouldn't be starting until Wednesday, but the full schedule wasn't released until Monday night, because there were two Game 7s in the Eastern Conference that had to be completed. When the luxurious pace of the Chicago series became known, goalie Jimmy Howard had a good laugh.

"Ha, yeah, it's a little different," he said. "I wasn't expecting all this time off, but we can definitely use it to our advantage, not really hanging out in Chicago and coming back here where the comfortability is a lot more. We've been flying a lot, so to be able to sleep in our own beds will be great."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Just put his butt in the press box and be done with him for the year.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/14/13 at 02:29 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Sammy has been invisible. Emmerton > a banged up Sammy.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/14/13 at 02:41 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Sammy has been invisible?  um, ok.  I guess that means you haven’t noticed him making any errors, and that he has been solid defensively, so….

I have a feeling Cleary is gonna sit for a few games.  after the check he took a couple games ago, and then ramming himself into the boards Sunday, he looks very beat up.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/14/13 at 02:43 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Just put his butt in the press box and be done with him forever.
Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/14/13 at 02:29 PM ET

fixt

Posted by Hootinani on 05/14/13 at 02:45 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

JJ from Kansas wrote the ducks eulogy over at puckdouchey

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/14/13 at 02:46 PM ET

JJ from Kansas wrote the ducks eulogy over at puckdouchey

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/14/13 at 02:46 PM ET

Holy Jesus Lashoff, that was beautiful.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/14/13 at 02:52 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

ya’ll know I call out even my most favored players.  that being said, I don’t think Sammy has been bad at all.  If anything I feel like his veteran experience has brought a relaxed posture to some of the younger guys.

I think Bert’s been a bigger factor in that regard and I’m not saying we can’t live without Sammy in.  But, all in all, I can’t point my fingers at anyone as far as output goes.  Everyone’s towing their share.  I think this will more come down to matchups and really against a quick young team like the Hawks, some good veteran savvy and “old man” strength might go a long way.  This is gonna be like the Ducks though.  We’re gonna have to watch game one and see what needs to happen after that.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/14/13 at 02:53 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Gus has really taken a page out of Sammy’s book as well as far as not taking shit on the ice and stirring it up a bit when he has too, to claim your space.  His play has reminded me a lot of Marchand without dirtiness.  Not as physical or petulant , but still physical and skill for days with maturity.  I think Sammy has a lot to do with that, because that’s not really been a staple of his game ever, but it’s been some of the most enjoyable aspects of it to watch, for me.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/14/13 at 02:56 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Haaaaaaaahaaaaaaa.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/14/13 at 03:11 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I keep laughing every time I read Selanne saying something like “we need to learn from this.”

um, isn’t he supposed to be the veteran who ALREADY KNOWS these things, and helps his team with that experience?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/14/13 at 03:22 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

that being said, I don’t think Sammy has been bad at all.
Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/14/13 at 02:53 PM ET

I am inclined to agree with you. I was not a fan of his the first time around. When we brought him back I facepalmed for a straight day. However, he has not been our weakest link. Nor has he been weak from what I’ve been watching. His goal reminded me a lot of when he used to score….... where you’re yelling at him the entire game and then he scores a clutch goal and all you can do is smile and laugh to yourself.

Having said that, it may be harder for me to spend the time critiquing his game when I’m eye-fuching our defenders around the ice waiting for their next turnover. Look over there kinda stuff if you feel me.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/14/13 at 03:25 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

epic.  I hear you completely.  He was a little floaty his first game but since then he’s been pretty good.  Definitely spend more time watching the defenders though, you’re right.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/14/13 at 03:35 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Wings on approach to Chicago.

Departed at 3:11 pm and arriving at 2:52 pm.  big surprise  RBIII travels back in time!

wink

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/14/13 at 03:46 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

RBIII travels back in time!

hopefully when they land, Lidstrom and Holmstrom will still be Red Wings.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/14/13 at 03:49 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

CaptainDennisPolonich

from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/14/13 at 03:46 PM ET

They should leave a note for themselves in the visitors room telling them how to Win.  Bet Hudler sold them the Uranium for the flux capacitor.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/14/13 at 04:13 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/14/13 at 02:43 PM ET

Thanks for putting me back on the right path. I feel more alive and cleaner somehow. Thanks again!

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/14/13 at 04:20 PM ET

RBIII travels back in time!

hopefully when they land, Lidstrom and Holmstrom will still be Red Wings

Have the pilot keep going, let’s get Howe and Lindsay back too.

Posted by mc keeper on 05/14/13 at 04:28 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Sammy has the ability on the point to hold onto the puck and let things open up a bit, but I’m curious to why he only played 4 min the last game.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 05/14/13 at 05:26 PM ET

Have the pilot keep going, let’s get Howe and Lindsay back too.

Posted by mc keeper on 05/14/13 at 04:28 PM ET

Black Jack Stewart and Marcel Pronovost, too.  They would be like Vladdie and TPH.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/14/13 at 07:22 PM ET