The Malik Report

No, thank you: Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill turns down Canadiens

According to MLive’s Ansar Khan, the Red Wings actually gave assistant GM Jim Nill permission to speak to the Montreal Canadiens, but in the last year which Nill has a non-competition clause in his contract, Nill declined an invitation to become the Canadiens’ general manager:

The opportunity to become a general manager, especially for a storied franchise like the Montreal Canadiens, was enticing to Jim Nill. But Nill, the assistant GM of the Detroit Red Wings, passed on the chance. He felt this was not the ideal time for the move, due to an illness in his family.

“I had two great talks with Montreal; I was interested, they were interested,’’ Nill said. “But it’s not the right time.’‘
...
Nill has four years remaining on his contract, with different out clauses each season.

“My goal is to become a general manager,’’ Nill said. “There will be opportunities down the road.’‘

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

w2j2's avatar

Good news bad news:

Its great news that he is staying in Detroit.

It’s bad news that his goal is to become a GM, unless he replaces Holland someday.

Ken Holland is a young man, so for Nil to become a GM in the near future, he would need to leave Detroit, like Yzerman did.

OTOH, Does this mean that Holland really will retire when Lidstrom hangs ‘em up?

Posted by w2j2 on 04/24/12 at 07:48 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m also glad he’s not leaving, but not happy to hear that he wants a GM job.  Can’t blame him, though.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/24/12 at 08:31 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by w2j2 on 04/24/12 at 06:48 AM ET

I truly think so.  Holland has not been acting like a GM trying to balance winning, the future, etc.  He’s been more a GM trying to not make enemies, and going a bit overboard on player loyalty.  I think he’s done, if not this year then next depending on if Nick goes one more year or not.

Ken used to do bold, brash moves.  He hasn’t done that in a few years now.  Even the Hossa deal was Marian’s agent calling HIM at a gas station (Kenny didn’t take the initiative on that one even).  Holland’s been playing it safe it feels like for a few years now.

I think JIm Nill is your next Detroit Red Wings GM, and I think he knows exactly when Kenny is retiring and that it’s sooner.  Otherwise, to be honest, I can’t fathom why Nill would turn down an offer to GM the Habs.  He probably has already been informed that the transition will take place this offseason or the next.

Posted by Primis on 04/24/12 at 09:25 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Ken Holland—from Front Office Jesus to Public Enemy Number One. Some people just have to have a scapegoat, don’t they?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/24/12 at 09:40 AM ET

You mean since that pesky salary cap was instituted and you can’t just throw money at everything. Good lord! The cheek of the man.

Posted by moocat on 04/24/12 at 09:48 AM ET