The Malik Report

No Hearing Scheduled For David Legwand

added 10:09am,

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Glad to hear it.
Now… how about the cross check to Glendening’s head?

Posted by teldar on 03/21/14 at 08:33 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

duh

Posted by Rdwings28 on 03/21/14 at 08:36 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

No hearing is scheduled

just when I’m at the point where I question what little confidence I have remaining in the league, they do something to keep me hanging on just a little bit longer.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 03/21/14 at 08:40 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I genuinely wonder what effect Neal’s play had on this all.  Do you think the league realized it was going to have to discipline both Legwand and Neal if it did something, and decided it didn’t want to deal with Neal and potentially hurt the Pens?

Or does the league just hate Geno too?  Because dude… I don’t know how you don’t suspend Legwand for that.

Posted by Primis on 03/21/14 at 08:43 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Posted by Primis on 03/21/14 at 09:43 AM ET

The league office does seem to have “contingency” awareness

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/21/14 at 08:57 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Because dude… I don’t know how you don’t suspend Legwand for that.

The thinking behind having “supplementary discipline” is:

* there are some things that are currently and in the recent past not being punished properly in-game
* This lack of proper punishment has led to a near-epidemic of extremely dangerous play
* so after-the-fact impose proper punishments in order to remove unwanted behavior from the game

The thinking behind not giving “supplementary discipline to this spearing and others like it MIGHT BE as follows:

* Spearing is not something that is “not being punished properly in-game”
* For years there has been mandatory 5’min major and game-misconduct for severe spearing
* Spearing of this nature is very rare and the punishments meted out in-game seems to have been more than adequate to control spearing.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 03/21/14 at 08:59 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

It’s also important to remember that Malkin laid on the ice faking an injury back in the Olympics, trying to draw a call (that didn’t end up coming).  I just wonder if the league thinks of him as someone who is going to dramatize something.

I mean, it hurts to get hit in the nuts and all, but Legwand could have missed the guy’s nuts and Malkin may have just decided to try to sell it.  I don’t know.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/21/14 at 09:09 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Added to the post, no hearing for Neal either in case you were wondering.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/21/14 at 09:10 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Congrats to whomever gave Shanny the reach around on this one…

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/21/14 at 09:10 AM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I didn’t see the play until this morning. Did Legwand do it? Yep. The video doesn’t lie. But the video, to me, also shows Malkin “double flinching”. Legwand jabbed him, he flinched at the jab, then fell like he had been shot. So, I call dive (or embellishment, or whatever). I’m glad he isn’t getting suspended. He got caught, he got the gate. Done and done.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 03/21/14 at 09:14 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Perhaps somebody can explain to me why a butt-ending that didn’t incapacitate a guy (seriously, Malkin finds the ref before deciding he’s in too much pain to stand) is this enormous a deal?

Is it simply because butt-ending is sneakier and therefore probably dirtier?

As far as what is and isn’t dangerous to player safety, cross-checking a guy across the face or elbowing him in the chin or even lifting your shoulder into his face as you pinch him off along the boards (which Crosby did to Alfredsson last night) are all more-dangerous plays.

It’s a bit more injurious a play than a standard slash or cross check, I guess, but unless we’re talking McSorely/Brashear, those kinds of plays are two-minute varieties.  I don’t have a problem with butt-ending being an automatic 5 and a game because like I said, it’s more injurious than those minor penalties, but for a guy with no history doing this in response to another guy high-sticking him, I’m not as shaken in my faith for the DoPS as a result of this non-suspension.

Hell, the only reason I think Neal should get a game or two is because he has a history of accidentally-on-purpose hitting guys in the head.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/21/14 at 09:22 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I dont care what Legwand gets, only that he put his team in a hole they had to work their asses off to dig out of at a time when they desperately need points.

And following the Cooke rule of supplimentary discipline, Neal will be allowed to do whatever he wants until the next time he seriously injures someone.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/21/14 at 09:32 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I’m fine with this outcome. Dumb play by Legwand, yep. Greg Louganis worthy dive, yep.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/21/14 at 09:33 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

Guess no one saw the raking of Legwands ear and head as his helmet got shaved from his head with the Malkin crosscheck either on that same play? So yeah, Malkin got what he deserved…....dont dish if you arent willing to receive big boy.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/21/14 at 09:49 AM ET

I am good with that decision, since Neal got off with his even more dangerous hit to Glendening’s head. Spearing in that area is not kosher, as we have all been taught, but Malkin is a sneaky dirty player himself and gets away with things because of his status.

I don’t condone what Legwand did but I still want the Wings ’ players to stick up for themselves on the ice. If that means a sneaky retaliatory spear once in a while, so be it.

Now, the timing was terrible, but I hope Legwand learned a lesson. However, I also hope the Wings’ brass don’t clamp down too much on the players who do respond to other player’s cheap shots on them….which is exactly what Malkin did.

Posted by NewfieWing on 03/21/14 at 09:49 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by

NewfieWing

on 03/21/14 at 10:49 AM ET

What drives me nuts about this team is they take so much abuse, which is fine if you can make them pay with power play goals but the Wings haven’t been able to do that in 3 yrs or so. I’m hoping The Brass finally lets these guys stick up for themselves (FINALLY!). You don’t need a goon out there (wouldn’t hurt though) but you don’t need to be a pansy ass either. Are you listening, Sir Kenny and Babs! Good on Legwand. I’m really starting to like him.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/21/14 at 10:05 AM ET

Good on Legwand.

Yeah, good on him for being a cheap shot artist like all the guys Wings fans bitch about.

Legwand did a stupid, stupid, stupid, idiotic thing and his timing was moronic.

Good on him?  I hope you were kidding.

Posted by Garth on 03/21/14 at 10:23 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

good on him for being a cheap shot artist

Not everybody who creates art is an artist. That phrase is generally reserved for people who try to make a living doing it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/21/14 at 11:00 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

David “pickle fork” Legwand really deserved to be suspended. Neal deserved supplemental discipline as well. Garbage call.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/21/14 at 11:01 AM ET

Dirty play by Legwand.  I never want to see that again by a Wings player.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/21/14 at 11:40 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I hope you were kidding.

Posted by

Garth

on 03/21/14 at 11:23 AM ET

Nope. Of the Wings greats that I have seen play Lidstrom is probably the only one I haven’t seen do something equivalent. Put that in yer pipe and smoke, ol grumpy one

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/21/14 at 12:26 PM ET