The Malik Report

No Changes For The Wings At This Point

According to the tweets of Ansar Khan, no changes in store if going by how the Wings are practicing.

Helm and Miller also skating.

If Babcock says anything of importance, I will add it here.

added 5:42pm, Mike Babcock talks after the skate today, watch below...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Helm and Miller also skating.

Does that mean Helm travelled with the team?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/08/13 at 03:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Yes he did CDP, he was on the trip for games 1 and 2.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/08/13 at 03:17 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Reading the tea leaves, that has to be considered good news. Why would you subject yourself to four transcontinental flights with an injured back that you are trying to rehab (even on comfy RBIII)?

I would rather they just shut him down for the season. Even if his back is well enough and the Wings make the second round, he is nowhere near game shape and his timing will be off. And the playoffs aren’t a great place to get those back.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/08/13 at 03:26 PM ET

awould's avatar

I haven’t been keeping up w/ Helm, mostly because the topic of his season-long absence is still too painful…. what are the chances he can return these playoffs, assuming the Wings win at least a couple more games?

Posted by awould on 05/08/13 at 03:27 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/08/13 at 03:26 PM ET

Last interview I read of Helm’s prior to the start of the series, he was talking about taking a week off of skating all together prior to the start of the playoffs.  He said all 4 docs said they think it’s this or that but all agreed that he can’t make it any worse.  So he said he took a week off to get his mental toughness back and then start skating with the team through the pain and at least try to be ready if they end up needing him.

That was the last I heard though.  He said the longer stays weren’t as bad as the one nighters though so I’m sure this trip is an evaluation trip to see if he can handle the travel, which he said has always been hard on his back anyhow.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/08/13 at 04:22 PM ET

awould's avatar

They should install a hyperbaric chamber around a comfy laz-e-boy on the plane to accomodate him. If it takes up too many seats, Quincey can fly coach.

Posted by awould on 05/08/13 at 04:25 PM ET

SK77's avatar

At a glance I read the title as “No Chance For The Wings At This Point”

Thought I was about to read an update where Jimmy got hurt in practice.

Posted by SK77 on 05/08/13 at 04:33 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Thought I was about to read an update where Jimmy got hurt in practice.

Duude…

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/08/13 at 04:36 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Tootoo better be hurt. Our fore check has been pathetic and their hyper-aggressive fore check requires speed through the neutral zone. Not to mention the fact that he excels at agitation, and the Ducks don’t particularly deal with frustration well. No reason he shouldn’t be skating, unless he’s hurt.

Granted, his 6 mins of TOI in Game 1 support the injury hypothesis.

Get to it early tonight.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/08/13 at 04:57 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I think Bertuzzi has done well for so much time not playing, and should only get better with more games under his belt.  glad to see him back apparently full time.

so who sits Friday when Abdelkader comes back?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/08/13 at 05:05 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

If it takes up too many seats, Quincey can fly coach.

I’d rather Quincey just stay home.

Is the last time Helm skated the day when he was by himself at JLA and Helene St. James did the interview with him after? I guess that means there’s no setbacks which is a great thing.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 05/08/13 at 05:06 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I had read an article (couple months ago) that said they found a slight tear in one of his discs.  why it took them so long to find something like that is beyond me.

I have a really bad feeling that he’s done done.  as in never play again done.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/08/13 at 05:14 PM ET

Paul,
Yzerman had an osteotomy on his knee. Helm should be able to have a fusion or an artificial disc and should be able to get better. Maybe just a decompression or even nerve ablation and have fewer issues than Yzerman.

Posted by teldar on 05/08/13 at 05:37 PM ET

Torn disc is possibly career ending depending on severity.  For his case hope that’s not the case.

Posted by neffernin on 05/08/13 at 05:44 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added video to this post of Babcock talking with media after practice today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/08/13 at 05:44 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Yzerman’s knee problem was just loss of cartilage.  a disc issue…that’s what protects your SPINAL CORD!

fuse the vertebrae together and still play NHL hockey?!  LOL

my mom had that done and she can’t turn her neck to look over her shoulder when driving…it is a major detriment to mobility.

artificial discs are not yet approved by the FDA, although there are some limited trials going on.  it’s highly risky and extremely invasive.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/08/13 at 05:45 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Granted, his 6 mins of TOI in Game 1 support the injury hypothesis.

I wonder if that didn’t have more to do with the fact he took a stupid cross checking penalty & the Ducks scored 4 seconds into their ensuing power play.

If you look at his TOI the 6:24 he played in Game 1 was only one minute short of the 7:32 he played the game before against Dallas.

Posted by SK77 on 05/08/13 at 05:45 PM ET

Don’t know if anyone knew, but Mike Babcock III has committed to Merrimack College.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/08/13 at 05:47 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

I doubt a barely visible annular tear is enough in itself to end a career. Hell, I doubt a barely visible annular tear is the root of the pain. Back pain is a crazy thing that sometimes has a clear pain generator, and sometimes just doesn’t.

The thing that could more likely end a career is a fusion. That’s some serious stuff right there. Not the kind of stuff you want a forechecking grinder to deal with. A decompression wouldn’t help a disc that isn’t protruding or bulging, but you may be on to something with an ablation. Maybe it’d ease the pain and get rid of the muscle guarding.

Either way, hustle it up. Really worrisome Helm’s essentially been sidelined for an entire season - no matter how bastardized it is.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/08/13 at 05:48 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Added video to this post of Babcock talking with media after practice today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/08/13 at 05:44 PM ET

talking food to start the presser?

man, he just made me hungry!  smile

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/08/13 at 05:56 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

SK you’re dead on.

Babs isn’t putting Tootoo in because of reputation penalties.  Ducks PP has been too good and Tootoo gets penalties for doing the same thing that happens a hundred times in front of the net after the whistle, but it’s Tootoo.  If Emmerton does half that shit play goes on

Shit, I saw Beaucheman straight tackle a Wing in front of the net, no stick two hands bear hugging the player down to the ice, no call.

Tootoo is sitting because of the ruffs.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/08/13 at 06:28 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Pfft…if he were in the military, they’d give him some Motrin and send his ass back to work.  Once the Synnvisc and Cortisone quit working on my knees they just game me some pain killers with a heavy prescription of Vitamin D and an anti-depressant.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/08/13 at 07:40 PM ET