The Malik Report

No Change In Datsyuk’s Health

Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News was at practice today and had this to report after practice...

Datsyuk wasn’t sure whether he would be able to play Wednesday in Montreal.

“It’s similar,” Datsyuk said of how he is feeling compared to when he left. “I’m hoping one day the pain (would go away). Now, it’s still the same.”

Datsyuk arrived in Detroit on Monday after spending a few days in Russia, following the national team’s disappointing early exit in the Olympics.

It was an opportunity, said Datsyuk, to gather his thoughts and get some rest, and “move forward.”

Datsyuk said the loss of Henrik Zetterberg (disc surgery) for the remainder of the regular season will be a tough loss.

“It hurts a lot,” Datsyuk said. “You’re missing the captain. He’s a leader. It’s a big miss. We need to stick together (as a team).”

more on the Wings including the lineup for tomorrow is still up in the air...

Ansar Khan with his update...

Franzen, who's missed 22 of the past 23 games, said he felt better Tuesday than on Sunday.

"It's probably just the history of it coming back and stuff like that, so let’s get this last practice in tomorrow morning and then we decide after," Franzen said.

Weiss said he needs more practice time and needs to experience more contact. He will not play for Grand Rapids this week. He’ll continue to skate with the Red Wings.

“For the game on Sunday (in Grand Rapids), I only had two or three practices and one day of contact, so I was a little apprehensive about playing so quickly,” Weiss said. “And today, again, it would have been only four or five practices. I’m feeling really good and been having no setbacks; it’s a matter of getting your conditioning and your legs to where they need to be to play in a game this time of year.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

Sorry Pav, you should have stayed home!  Russians were a mess with or without you.

Z out, Pav still injured, Weiss/Franzen no where near playing shape.  Still missing a No 1 D man.

This is going to be tough going forward but who knows?

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/25/14 at 04:06 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I’m hoping one day the pain (would go away). Now, it’s still the same.”

Well, then I’m certainly glad you felt the need to participate in the boondoggle that was team Russia’s showing in Sochi.  shut eye

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/25/14 at 04:08 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Datsyuk wasn’t sure whether he would be able to play Wednesday in Montreal.

I love this guy to death, but that’s a ridiculous line of thinking. He’s hurting as much as he was last week when he played for his country for free, but he’s not sure he can play tomorrow for the team that pays him $7M a year.

I don’t get it.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/25/14 at 04:12 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

I’m with you guys. Granted it’s very close to a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but his commitment should be with the Wings first and foremost. Being a savvy veteran, he should have anticipated how things would unfold for this Russian team.

Oddly enough, he performed quite well points-wise for them. I have to question whether there really was any change between pre-olympic injured and now post-olympic injured Datsyuk.

Love the guy….. but why Pav? Why?

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 02/25/14 at 04:16 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Not Pav’s fault Team Russia pooped their pants. Ovie sucked and Malkin went to sleep after first few games of Olympics. Pav was awesome throughout.

Last I checked Pav was not born and raised in USA so playing for his country is his right and choice and I got no problem with it, playing hurt or not.

Don’t worry the next Olympics I hear are in North Korea? No way NHLers go there to participate.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 02/25/14 at 04:18 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

You give me the chance to represent my country in the Olympics on my home soil and I take it.  I can’t fault Pav for playing.  Plus, 60% Pavel nearly beat the US by himself, so give him a week or two to get closer to 100% Pavel. We need 100% Pavel.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 02/25/14 at 04:34 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Don’t worry the next Olympics I hear are in North Korea?

PyeongChang is in South Korea, about 50 miles from where I spent 13 months as an Army medic 40 years ago. So I can tell you from personal experience, there won’t be any issues concerning the weather being too warm like there were in Sochi. That country is bone-chilling cold in the winter.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/25/14 at 04:35 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

PyeongChang…......Pyongyang ...tomato…tomato.. tongue wink

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/25/14 at 04:45 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Bitch about Pavel, but Z gets off scott free. I don’t think so. They both had the same intention. The honor of playing for their Country, yet, Datsyuk is being held to a different standard.
Why is Zetterberg getting a pass? He is, after all, the Captain. Therefore, his #1 priority should be the Red Wings. (At all times, at any cost)sarcasm

Love the guy….. but why Pav? Why?

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 02/25/14 at 03:16 PM ET

Love the guy…...but why Z? Why?

This is the kind of thing that makes no sense to me. We all knew the risk going into the Games. Our top two players made the same choice, but for some reason Datsyuk was what, goldbricking before Sochi?

Please…............................. rolleyes

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/25/14 at 04:46 PM ET

Weren’t people who criticized the players for playing in Sochi being selfish, like, two days ago?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/25/14 at 04:49 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Wow…

You get one, maybe two chances to play for your country in your entire professional career.

You get 82+ a season to play for your team…a job, as it were.

And yet…

Nevermind…what’s the point?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 02/25/14 at 04:56 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit

Boy, mess with Kate’s boy Pavel at your own risk. grin

But, honestly, I don’t think anyone is letting Hank off the hook here. If he had made it through the Olympics and then came back and said he couldn’t play Wednesday because he’s hurting as bad as before he left, he’d be getting called out too.

Personally, I’m more pissed at Hank because he could have (and should have) had his surgery in December. But he chose not to because he wanted to at least try to play in Sochi. Overall, he’s actually hurt the Wings playoff chances far more than Pavel has.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/25/14 at 04:59 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Did any of you crucify Stevie for playing in the Olympics?
Serious question.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/25/14 at 05:04 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I’m not angry at either of these guys for participating.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/25/14 at 05:12 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I wasn’t giving Hank a pass. The article Paul linked to had. Direct quote from Pav about his condition, so that’s what I commented on.

Once in a lifetime opportunity????? I believe the Swedish boys and Pavel have all now represented their country multiple times ( Gus, Ericson being the exception).

That’s a good question about Stevie’s participation with his bum knee. I don’t recall having a strong opinion for or against him Shanny, hull, ....et all.. Playing in Salt Lake?

My strong feelings against Pavel and the Swedish gang is certainly not an anti European thing. I just think its stupid to send guys in the middle of the season to play in a tournament that takes a back seat to the Stanley Cup. Add to that the ridiculous schedule of back to back games required to allow the Olympics to be squeezed into the regular season and it’ becomes an even more stupid proposisition.

Not sure if you younger ones remember the Canada Cup tournaments of yore put together by that rat Allan eagleson ( personal opinion there)? If memory serves me they played that tourney in the late Summer or early fall before the NHL season. Perhaps that’s what should take the place of NHL participation in the Olympics.

Oh God.!! ..did I just agree to an idea put forth by eddie olczyk?????

This sort of Canada Cup tournament would fit seamlessly into the schedule, and best of all…the league and all the owners would rake in a huge cash windfall which little Gary would drool over no doubt. Well , of course there is that little matter of splitting revenue with the NHLPA , but you get the drift.

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/25/14 at 05:43 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Oh God.!! ..did I just agree to an idea put forth by eddie olczyk?????

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/25/14 at 04:43 PM ET

You used to get banned for such a thing around these parts…  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 02/25/14 at 06:49 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

If Pav doesnt play on Wed., ill be very disappointed in him, not that he or anyone else cares.  I hope he has more integrity than that.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/25/14 at 06:53 PM ET

You are so far out of your mind it’s almost unbelievable.

Posted by Garth on 02/25/14 at 10:02 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

You are so far out of your mind it’s almost unbelievable.

Posted by Garth

Well, that’s certainly a deeply thought-out and fully developed rebuttal. Thank you for your usual “in-depth” analysis.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/26/14 at 01:24 AM ET