The Malik Report

Niklas Kronwall status update: Red Wings’ defenseman dealing with ‘mild concussion’

I tried to keep as much of the post-game Niklas Kronwall-Cody McLeod incident stuff in the Red Wings-Avalanche tailings post as possible, but we're getting something of an update, albeit a bit of a sketchy one, on Kronwall's status.

MLive's Brendan Savage reports the following...

Defenseman Niklas Kronwall's status is "day-to-day" after he suffered a mild concussion Thursday night, Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said this afternoon.

And the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan squeezed a little more out of Holland:

"He's not ruled out for Saturday's game yet," said Holland, noting Saturday's game in Phoenix. "I would say (he's) day to day."

Kronwall left the game at 2:13 of the first period on a stretcher, the team later announcing he had a concussion and cuts near his ear. Kronwall was skating back to retrieve a puck when Avalanche forward Cody McLeod checked Kronwall into the boards, Kronwall's head hitting the area between the glass and dasherboards.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

This is good news.  Get better Nick.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/18/13 at 03:19 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I really hope the Wings dont rush him back

That shit looked BRUTAL, give the man a week of rest, FFS

Posted by Zqto on 10/18/13 at 03:20 PM ET

+19, Zqto.  Get well soon, Kronner.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/18/13 at 03:27 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Generally our medical staff is pretty cautious, I don’t see this as being any different.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 10/18/13 at 03:31 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

This is good news. Concussions come in all shapes and sizes. From the sounds of it, he may have been very fortunate.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 10/18/13 at 03:34 PM ET

DigitalGypsy66's avatar

Yeah, Crosby’s concussion was deemed “mild” as well.  I hope he’s back on the ice soon.

Posted by DigitalGypsy66 on 10/18/13 at 03:41 PM ET

DigitalGypsy66's avatar

I mean Kronwall back on the ice soon.  We all know Crosby’s back… lol

Posted by DigitalGypsy66 on 10/18/13 at 03:44 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

This is good news over the long haul. I would imagine that the Wings will go with six defensemen for the time being given that GR plays tonight and tomorrow. We’ll see what happens when the Wings return home on Monday.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/18/13 at 03:46 PM ET

Crosby was diagnosed with a mild concussion and he was out a year spanning Jan 1st through midway of the next season.  just saying!

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/18/13 at 03:56 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Everyone handles concussions differently.  I’ve had 7, knocked out twice, and never had post concussion syndrome at all.  That’s what holds a guy like Crosby out, not the concussion itself.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 10/18/13 at 04:05 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Just to warn you The Pens initially said Sid had a “Mild Concussion” too

Posted by Evilpens on 10/18/13 at 04:19 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

although it turned out to be more Neck than Concussion

Posted by Evilpens on 10/18/13 at 04:22 PM ET

for those of us non-Red Wing fans; is it still considered being “Kronwalled” if Kronwall is the one getting Kronwalled? Just curious.

Posted by scooter on 10/18/13 at 07:29 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 10/18/13 at 04:05 PM ET

You can say that again. First time I was fine, 2nd time I cried for no reason a few times. Apparently thats pretty common. Scary stuff to know your brain is being knocked around enough to cause those kinds of issues.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 10/18/13 at 07:43 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Posted by scooter on 10/18/13 at 07:29 PM ET

Reverse Kronwalled.  But it has to be from the front.  The Kronwallian Conundrum has more to do with the feet, rather than the direction of the player.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 10/19/13 at 11:57 AM ET

Posted by scooter on 10/18/13 at 07:29 PM ET

Watch every Kronwall highlight hits on YouTube.  Not one of his hits is a boarding hit.  Not.One.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/19/13 at 01:02 PM ET