The Malik Report

NHL’s 2013-2014 schedule fognado continues

So my theory goes like this: aside from the NHL attempting to negotiate a 2014 Olympic participation agreement with the ever-slow-moving International Olympic Committee, the plucky IIHF, the NHLPA and of course the Russian government, the NHL decided that it'd get in on the "Sharknado" buzz by choosing a natural disaster-based-name to generate excitement about its 2013-2014 regular season schedule, which must not be released before the parameters of an Olympic participation agreement are hashed out.

Regrettably, according to my non-existent sock puppet sources, the NHL had to choose a natural disaster at random, and when Gary Bettman's hand came out of the hat, he'd found out that he'd picked the Dense Fog Advisory.

p> So, the NHL's Schedule Fognado continues:

This is just a guess, but if the NHL wasn't able to convince the IOC and IIHF to sign off on a deal during the two summer days when there were no MLB games taking place, we're going to be in for a wait of at least another week or two.

That may suck for people trying to plan their fall and winter itineraries, but let me put it this way:

1. The Sochi Olympics are such a clusterfuck of tacitly-endorsed corruption and construction delays based upon palm-greasing that it's scary;

2. The lack of an infrastructure in place for the players and their families plays a HUGE role here as there are both facilities not in place and there are massive security concerns given Sochi's proximity to Georgia, South Ossieta, Dagestan, Chechynya, etc. etc.;

3. The IOC has already agreed to pick up the massive cost of insuring players' contracts, but it's not keen on the concept that the NHL wants both media and medical access to players, nor that it wants a piece of the $$ pie;

4. The IIHF, of course, represents European interests and not the best interests of the NHL, USA Hockey or Hockey Canada;

5. Yes, by the way, USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, and other international federations like the Russian Hockey Federation have to be happy with the deal;

6. And the PA has to report back to the players and get approval from them, just as the NHL has to keep its owners in the loop, so the, "Reporting to stakeholders" part is part of the delay here.

So its gonna take the time it takes to hammer the agreement out, and in the interim, we wait.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

NHL’s loss.  finally got tired of waiting for the schedule to come out and booked vaca.
was going to try fla during wings trip thru the state, but time ran out so booked Hawaii instead.  What a cluster of a league <face palm>

Posted by akwingsfan on 07/18/13 at 04:42 PM ET

And the cock-slapping commences.  What a smarmy bunch.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/18/13 at 06:26 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Man, “Dense Fog Advisory” would make an excellent band name.

Sochi is going to be such a huge mess.

Posted by Primis on 07/18/13 at 10:10 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Man, “Dense Fog Advisory” would make an excellent band name.
Sochi is going to be such a huge mess.
Posted by Primis on 07/18/13 at 11:10 PM ET

At this rate, I just hope nothing bad happens. The pessimist in me is thinking about 1972 Munich potential, and I certainly hope I’m wrong.

By the way George, since you were so busy with the Camp, I don’t think you posted this—your call on if you want to comment from Custance on the new Arena from 3 days ago (before YouKnowWhat was announced today):

“As a Detroit-area native, I can say that an upgrade from Joe Louis Arena is necessary, but how can the Ilitch family possibly justify a bankrupt city with very little actual tax revenue footing the bill for a brand new arena in downtown Detroit? Wouldn’t a renovation (or at least a cost study to prove their decision for a new building) of Joe Louis be a little bit more responsible? Tying the arena to a multi-use project seems like a cop-out to justify splitting the cost of something the city of Detroit clearly can’t afford.
—Tom P., Atlanta

Tom—According to MLive.com, a public investment of $284.5 million is going into the new Red Wings arena and entertainment district, although no money comes from the Detroit general fund. Instead, it is financed through taxes. One estimate said the new entertainment district could have a statewide economic impact of $1.8 billion.

That said, in my opinion, Detroit shouldn’t pay a cent toward a new hockey arena. Not a single penny. Maybe that’s not realistic, but I live five minutes from Detroit and see first-hand how many other priorities there should be for the city. I’d hope that people learn from the lessons of the past in other cities and realize that these arenas should be paid for by the owners of the teams—in this case the Ilitch family—and not the city. You need to look no farther than Glendale to see how a seemingly good idea can turn sour in a remarkably short period of time. I’m sure there were rosy projections for that arena when it was built.

I think Joe Louis Arena is beyond renovating, and it’s definitely time for a new arena, but it’s nothing the citizens of Detroit should be paying for.”

Posted by Bugsy on 07/18/13 at 10:37 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Oh I saw it. Crain’s Detroit Business’s Bill Shea pointed out that the Downtown Development Authority’s $12.8 million-per-year tax diversion has been collected by the DDA for the specific purpose of being used to increase business downtown, and it SOLELY CONSISTS OF PROPERTY TAXES PAID BY DOWNTOWN BUSINESSES like General Motors, Quicken Loans, Compuware, etc.

There are NO “citizens” of Detroit “bailing out” the Ilitches here—this is corporate money being collected from corporations being redirected toward the rink project.

OBVIOUSLY, there is no way in hell that ANY of us can argue that the money could not be better used to help the residents of the city of Detroit. But we can say that about every God-damned corporate hand-out that has existed in Detroit for the past 30 years, and when compared to the literal billions of dollars of honest-to-God money taken out of city coffers to line the pockets of first Coleman Young and Ed McNamara’s cronies, the City Council’s buddies, Wayne County’s contractors, the Archer and especially Kilpatrick administrations’ pals…I mean, Christ, this shit is a drop in the *#$%@& bucket.

I had to leave Twitter this afternoon because Wyshynski, Lambert, et. al. were pulling the, “Ha ha, Detroit’s bankrupt, Red Wings suck” bullshit, and I couldn’t take it. I also spent a significant chunk of time clarifying the situation regarding the Wings’ rink funding and the fact that it is not taking tax money away from schools, city services or anything else that wasn’t specifically designed to be a corporate handout for other corporate investment.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/18/13 at 10:53 PM ET

A friend of mine, originally from Louisiana, complained bitterly about the Chicago Bear fans needled Saints fans attending the NFC Championship game in January ‘07 about Katrina. Wyshynski just joined their ilk.

Posted by wingsfan1983 on 07/18/13 at 11:25 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

In danger of reopening the whole discussion from a few weeks ago, George, when we were debating where the money was coming from, the upshot then is:
The people outside of Michigan (and many in Michigan) still can’t/won’t see the division of money for different purposes, particularly government money (but then you could argue the lottery has been that way for decades too).
I remember back when I asked my dad about Coleman Young when he was working downtown. He said Young was good for the first term, then,.... McNamara and the political line going backwards to Duggan I know less of, but when he was Livonia’s mayor, I didn’t hear the rumors of the $ problems then, but as Exec, some rumblings started.
Custance therefore isn’t helping matters (which the posting this week doesn’t help timing-wise), and the others who like to use Detroit as their pinata (I still don’t get why non-Detroiters still refer to the Detroit Tiger post-game “distrubance” of ‘84 for example, even now, when there hasn’t been an uprising like that since and a number of other towns have had (more than) one disturbance since) are getting their sadistic jollies out of this.
I’ve spent a lot of energy on other sports websites and non-sports websites defending Detroit for the good things that don’t need exaggeration (like the nicest big city people I’ve ever been around, and I’ve travelled a lot), but days like today make me wonder if it’s worth the fight if the country’s still determined that Detroit’s going to be the national punching bag and try to immaturely/nastily try to drag down the good things like the Wings with it (jealousy, whatever).

Sorry, went too long. I’ll stop now. I’m not in Detroit now, but it still hurts to see the announcement today, even if people like Custance aren’t intentionally (?) trying to make it worse, but especially because plenty of people are piling on Detroit instead of kicking their dog. Sometimes, George being away from the Social Media is a good thing—I understand.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/18/13 at 11:29 PM ET