The Malik Report

NHL.com contributors deem Red Wings Mike Babcock to be the NHL’s best coach

This is going to go over well...Via RedWingsFeed and MLive's Brendan Savage, NHL.com took a poll among 10 of their writers and NHL Network contributors, and Corey Masisak reports that the group deemed Red Wings coach Mike Babcock to be the league's best coach:

1. Mike Babcock (5 first-place votes) -- 68 points: Babcock is proof that a great coach can come from just about anywhere in hockey. His only playing experience as a professional came in England, though he was a captain at McGill University. He didn't have a ton of success at the Canadian junior level as a coach, reaching the Western Hockey League finals twice in eight years.

Even after two undistinguished years in the American Hockey League, it would have been hard to peg Babcock as a prodigy, but he has been a star at the NHL level. He helped the Anaheim Ducks to the Stanley Cup Final in 2003 as a rookie NHL bench boss, and now has three Final appearances on his resume, including the 2008 championship with the Detroit Red Wings. He's led Canada to a gold medal at the World Championships in 2004 and the Winter Olympics in 2010.

"I'm surprised that Mike Babcock received just half of the first-place votes," NHL.com managing editor Shawn Roarke said. "The man has a Stanley Cup ring and an Olympic gold medal. That's a pretty good resume in and of itself, if you ask me. In fact, he is the only coaching member of the IIHF Triple Crown club: Cup, Olympic title and World Championship with Canada. A pretty exclusive club, for sure. For good measure, he has also won at the World Junior level and Canadian university level. Simply, he has won at every stop of his career.

"The reason is because he relates to all kinds of players and gets the most out of them by finding a role for them in the team that best suits their skill set. Plus, as he proved at the Olympics, he has the requisite ego and the cult of personality to deal with superstar players and bend them to the good of the club."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

never a better time for this pic

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/05/13 at 11:36 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

And let the shit storm begin

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/05/13 at 11:43 AM ET

Crater's avatar

I’m far form anti-Babcock.. but I wish that such a good coach could get his team more motivated. Or if he really is doing magic with that he has, imagine what the Wings would be like without him?

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 04/05/13 at 11:47 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Ha, ha - I know some people whose heads are going to explode over this.

LOL

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/05/13 at 12:19 PM ET

Anything ever said is that he’s a good coach, but hard. That players don’t like him forever. Somewhat like hitch. It’s believe that. Are there players on the team getting tired of him? Probably. But I still think he’s a great coach.

Posted by teldar on 04/05/13 at 12:24 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 04/05/13 at 12:47 PM ET

If you need a coach to get you motivated, the battle’s already been lost. A coach isn’t going to make you care any more or less about winning or losing than you already do or don’t.

This goes for all professional sports, not just hockey. Show me a team that needs to be “motivated” by their coach and I’ll show you a team full of losers.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/05/13 at 12:52 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I think Babs has been the best coach in the league for several years now… and this season has been his toughest challenge since he was in Anaheim. But he is the reason our youngsters are all overachieving. And I really love how invigorated it seems to be making him. He thrives on the challenge.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/05/13 at 01:26 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

Babcock is a good coach but he has not gotten the most out of what he’s been given.  There’s nothing wrong with criticizing him for it either.

Posted by gt500x on 04/05/13 at 02:38 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Ive liked Babcock from the get go. I just disagree with some of the things he does, but thats just me being a dooshy fan and critic smile Just get these damned special teams whipped into shape will ya Uncle Mike? I’d ask Tom but who knows what the Frk he’s doing.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/05/13 at 03:21 PM ET

But he is the reason our youngsters are all overachieving.

How so?  Unless you mean that he took crowbars to Helm, Bertuzzi, Sammy and all the defensemen except Kronwall in order to make sure that they had to play the youngsters.

Posted by Garth on 04/05/13 at 03:58 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/05/13 at 02:26 PM ET

I want some of what you’re drinking.  I have no reason to believe Babcock enjoys this season more than any other.  If you’re judging by the words he’s said, I wouldn’t put too much stock in that—he’s contradicted himself before.

Posted by gt500x on 04/05/13 at 06:33 PM ET