The Malik Report
by George Malik on 12/28/13 at 04:06 PM ET
From the NHL:
NHL AND UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN ISSUE FAN REMINDERS FOR WEDNESDAY’S 2014 BRIDGESTONE NHL WINTER CLASSIC®
ANN ARBOR (Dec. 28, 2013) – The National Hockey League and the University of Michigan would like to remind fans attending Wednesday’s 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® about some traffic, parking and security matters.
Faceoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on New Year’s Day. Fans are encouraged to arrive early to avoid anticipated heavy traffic and last minute crowds at the gates, and to enjoy pregame festivities inside and around the stadium. Spectator Plaza, a free, interactive hockey and entertainment festival, opens to the public at 9 a.m. ET on game day, located just outside Crisler Center on the east side of Michigan Stadium. All gates to Michigan Stadium will open at 10 a.m. ET.
Fans are also reminded of the following stadium policies:
- There is a NO BAG POLICY at Michigan Stadium. This includes: all bags, backpacks, purses, camera and binocular cases, etc. Please plan on leaving bags and purses locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Signage and apparel displaying profane or abusive language or inappropriate messages are prohibited in Michigan Stadium. Fans with signage or apparel bearing foul language will not be allowed into Michigan Stadium or will be subject to expulsion from the stadium. Umbrellas and seat backs are not permitted into Michigan Stadium.
- All fans, regardless of age, must have a valid ticket to be admitted to the stadium.
- Media must have pre-registered and have a valid credential prior to being admitted to the stadium. Credentials can be picked up in the NHL credential office trailer located at the north east side of the stadium near Gate 10.
- The NHL recommends that all fans lock their vehicles and keep personal belongings out of sight before entering the stadium. Fans are advised to not leave valuables in their vehicles during games.
Seat Cushions: All fans attending the 2014 Bridgestone Winter Classic® will receive a commemorative seat cushion, already in place on their ticketed seat. These seat cushions are a give-a-way to all ticketed fans to take home after the game.
Counterfeit Tickets: The 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® is sold out! The National Hockey League and the University of Michigan Athletic Department are warning fans to watch out for counterfeit tickets when attempting to make a purchase from scalpers. Fans are advised not to purchase tickets from scalpers because of the possibility of counterfeiting.
Additionally, the NHL cautions that fans planning to attend the event could be targeted by counterfeiters attempting to sell unauthorized and poorly made knock-off merchandise. In addition to misleading consumers who believe they are buying authentic merchandise, counterfeiting hurts local retailers and businesses that play by the rules. To avoid being victimized by counterfeiters, the NHL urges fans to take the necessary precautions to ensure they’re buying high-quality merchandise and not supporting illegal activity.
Fans without pre-sold parking should utilize:
- Downtown Ann Arbor Parking Garages ($5.00) Presold parking for downtown garages can be purchased online by visiting http://www.parknparty.com.
- Pioneer High School (access from South Main Street).
- Briarwood Mall Park and Ride (access from State Street, exit 177 off I-94)
- Michigan Stadium Parking Lots (pre-sold and cash lots) and Pioneer High School Parking open at 7 a.m. ET. RV Parking is available at Pioneer High School and through other private vendors.
For more parking and transportation information visit http://www.nhl.com/wcparking.
Winter Classic Fan Shuttle: The NHL will be operating a NHL Winter Classic Fan Shuttle, servicing the same hotels and parking lots that the Ann Arbor Transit Authority (AATA) normally provides for their Football Ride Shuttle. Roundtrip tickets will be sold for $4.00 and will be available on game day only from the same hotels that participate in the AATA Football Ride Shuttle as well as all park and ride shuttle locations, downtown bus stops and the Briarwood Mall bus stop. The NHL Winter Classic Fan Shuttle will operate beginning at 9:30am. Additional post-game buses have been added to service all routes, including new downtown Ann Arbor routes for those who park downtown.
Buses, Limos & Taxi’s
All buses, limos and taxis will NOT be allowed to drop off passengers or stage on any street adjacent to Michigan Stadium..
All buses and limousines will be directed to park at Pioneer High School, located adjacent to Michigan Stadium at 1600 South Main Street, Ann Arbor. Parking fees are being handled directly by Michigan Event Parking, the operator of the lot for Pioneer High School. On-line advance purchases can be found at http://www.michiganeventparking.com
Official Taxi Staging drop off and pick up (not to be used by buses and limousines) will be located on Brown Street on the north side of Michigan Stadium between E. Hoover Ave and Hill Street.
Street Closures: Main Street, between Stadium Blvd and Pauline Blvd will be closed north bound starting at 10:00am and south bound between Pauline Blvd and Stadium Blvd at 12:00pm. These closures will be open immediately after the game.
Weather: The Weather Forecast for Game Day is anticipated to be cold with temperatures ranging between single digits and the teens. Fans should dress appropriately for the cold outdoor weather conditions at Michigan Stadium.
Post-Game Traffic: Post-Game all South Main Street lanes from Stadium Blvd to Ann Arbor Saline Road will allow traffic to head south towards I-94.
More information on the 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®:
With less than a week until the 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, the countdown to the much-anticipated outdoor match-up between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs on Jan. 1 continues. The rivalry between the two storied – and NHL Original Six™ – franchises will take center stage in the first-ever cross-border NHL Winter Classic as the Red Wings and Maple Leafs meet at The Big House® on the University of Michigan campus in front of a potential world record-setting crowd. The game will air live on NBC in the U.S. and on CBC and RDS in Canada; SiriusXM Radio will provide live radio coverage. NHL Network and NHL.com will provide hours of live and digital coverage in the days leading up to and after the game. The 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic will be broadcast to more than 160 countries and territories; the Armed Forces Network will broadcast the outdoor game via tape delay to military bases around the world. NHL Social™ will have exclusive coverage on all social platforms, including the use of the hashtag #WinterClassic. Fans can register to receive more information at events2014.nhl.com.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Malik Report
The Malik Report is a destination for all things Red Wings-related. I offer biased, perhaps unprofessional-at-times and verbose coverage of my favorite team, their prospects and developmental affiliates. I've joined the Kukla's Korner family with five years of blogging under my belt, and I hope you'll find almost everything you need to follow your Red Wings at a place where all opinions are created equal and we're all friends, talking about hockey and the team we love to follow.