The Malik Report

Next Sweater Number Retired

from Sean Gentille of The Sporting News,

The Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday announced, finally, that they're retiring Pavel Bure's No. 10 jersey. That got us thinking—which players, if any, should be next to be so honored by their teams?

We'll go by the new divisions, starting today with the Atlantic, or Flortheast, or whatever.

Detroit Red Wings: Sergei Fedorov, No. 91

That would initially bother a lot of people, and it's out of step with the franchise's last two honorees. Both were long-time captains who only played for the Red Wings, but there has to be a chance that No. 91 is headed to the rafters at some point. Fedorov was one of the absolute best players of his era, and time has a way of smoothing things over.

Retirees: Terry Sawchuk (1), Nicklas Lidstrom (5), Ted Lindsay (7), Alex Delvecchio (10), Gordie Howe (9), Sid Abel (12), Steve Yzerman (19).

Future candidates: Pavel Datsyuk (13), Henrik Zetterberg (40)

more on the other Atlantic teams.

note 2:19pm, Sorry, did not realize George was posting this topic too in this post.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

awould's avatar

Getting your jersey retired is about something more than being an elite, top-end talent. I’d rather see Holmstrom or Draper get the honor before Fedorov - not that either would or necessarily should happen. As others have said, they really should hang a pair of Holmstrom’s pants from the rafters, ass-side out. But Fedorov getting his jersey retired in Detroit… don’t see it happening, too much respect for tradition.

Maybe Columbus will retire it. After all, Fedorov was a top-end talent in his time….

Posted by awould on 07/24/13 at 02:51 PM ET

ClintonVerley's avatar

I really doubt that Datsyuk or Z will get theirs retired, and the idea of Federov getting the honor is somewhat laughable. The Red Wings clearly reserve the rafters for the absolute best and proudest in its history, and I don’t think any of those three are in the category (as hard as that is to believe, with #13 especially).

Oddly enough, I think that the way Datsyuk and Zetterberg have been and always will be linked together hurts both their chances of having #s retired. It wouldn’t seem right to retire just one of them, but do they both deserve it?

Posted by ClintonVerley from Auburn Hills, MI on 07/24/13 at 03:30 PM ET

Shouldn’t Alfredsson be a “future” candidate considering he isn’t retired yet? If Martin St. Louis isn’t a lock for Tampa then why is Alfredsson eligbile?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 07/24/13 at 03:31 PM ET

I think you’re in the minority on this one, George.  Fedorov left with too much animosity and I really don’t see Detroit fans being that forgiving.  I mean, look at how they booed every time he touched the puck when he came back playing for other teams.  I don’t see it happening.

Posted by Kira on 07/24/13 at 08:57 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Uh, I’m quoting Sean Gentile here, not positing my own opinion—and my opinion is that it’s going to be VERY hard for the Wings and Fedorov to mend fences to the point that he’ll play in the alumni game before the Winter Classic, never mind see his number retired to the rafters within the next decade.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/24/13 at 09:11 PM ET

I think Sean is right on this one.  There’s just too many skeletons in his closet to think that this will ever happen.  You’ll see Pasha and Henrik’s up there long before you see #91.

Posted by Kira on 07/25/13 at 10:50 AM ET