The Malik Report

Monday might be Nyquist Olympic Day; Howard weighs in on the Red Wings’ loss to Washington

Per the Free Press's Helene St. James...

And the Detroit News's Gregg Krupa, regarding a certain Jimmy Howard and the Red Wings' 6-5 OT loss to Washington on Sunday:

As for the status of one Pavel Datsyuk, we head back to St. James:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I just read an article that Dats plans on playing in Russia even if he doesnt come back before hand and that the wings will “respect whatever decision he makes”. OK.

Posted by brians neck on 02/02/14 at 08:43 PM ET

Alan's avatar

It would be hard for the organization to not respect Pavel’s decision, since it’s a player decision whether he goes or not. The organization can advise him against it, but can’t force him either way.

In cases like this, the team has as much say in a personnel matter as we do.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/02/14 at 09:20 PM ET

this may be the last time for awhile that the nhl and olympics play nice. if a significant player goes down with an injury it will be bad.

Posted by brians neck on 02/02/14 at 10:42 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I can respect Pav, but not as much as I respect Hank for playing hurt, playing hard, and leading the club.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/03/14 at 12:21 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I agree with you, MoreShoot. I truly admire Hank for what he’s done for the club, and as a Captain, I expect that. But Datsyuk… he is basically Captain 1a. And if his mindset right now is simply “rehab for Sochi” and not “rehab for the Red Wings,” then I’m going to be pretty hurt as a Wings fan.

I can understand that the pride and pressure in playing for your country is huge, especially when it’s a country like Russia, who would probably harm Datsyuk’s family if he didn’t play. But regardless, I would hope he would see that a.) his long-term health is more important than anything and b.) Russia is his home country, but Detroit is his home, and the Wings are his team.

Every Wings fan’s biggest fear right now is a not-fully healed Datsyuk playing in Russia, come hell or high water, and coming back re-injured to the Wings as a result. I guess we’ll simply have to wait and see.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 02/03/14 at 02:11 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Heh, DB, no.

Detroit is not his home. Russia is his home. Detroit is his job. He’s all but stated this numerous times.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 02/03/14 at 02:32 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

wut

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 02/03/14 at 03:14 AM ET

Yeah mrfluffy, I don’t think people really appreciate the cultural differences between western Europeans and Russians/Eastern Europeans. I think western Europeans are MUCH more likely to think of the u.s. as home while Russians always go back home to Holy Mother Russia.

Posted by teldar on 02/03/14 at 09:14 AM ET

This is not just any Olympics for Datsyuk. It’s in his home country and he is the captain of the team. If anything, I have more respect for him for possibly forcing himself to play. The pressure on Russian hockey players in tremendous to win on home turf and Pavel is one of the guys with the most pressure. He could easily have used this injury as an excuse to get out of it and not have to deal with pressure.
Good for him, I hope he plays.

Posted by George0211 on 02/03/14 at 09:45 AM ET

I’m sure he’s under horrendous pressure to go captain his team in his own country…..but….. Russia is not the Soviet Union nor is it North Korea or Iraq.  They dont execute/imprison player’s or player’s families. Now if youre a writer or artist who speaks out against the govt thats a different story. He might be publicly shamed a bit or the Russian media would just blame the red wings.

Posted by brians neck on 02/03/14 at 09:51 AM ET

They dont execute/imprison player’s or player’s families.

Posted by brians neck on 02/03/14 at 08:51 AM ET

Ever hear of pride and patriotism?

Posted by George0211 on 02/03/14 at 09:53 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Posted by

brians neck

on 02/03/14 at 08:51 AM ET

Wow, you make it sound like Datsyuk doesn’t want to play in the Olympics.

Posted by

MoreShoot

on 02/02/14 at 11:21 PM ET

No two injuries are the same, this sorry reasoning is used again and again to compare a player who must have a lot of heart to be playing *despite being injured*, while another player who is sitting because of injury must have their priorities wrong.  Reminder: There’s still only one Stevie Y.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 02/03/14 at 10:24 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I can understand it if Pav plays in Sochi, partially injured. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to play for his national team, on home ice, during the most prestigious competition possible. He’s going to be that team’s leader—he’s their best all-around player, even slightly hampered by whatever has been nagging him.

I would expect and respect a Parise for doing the same if the Olympics were on U.S. soil, or a Crosby for doing the same if they were on Canadian soil.

That said, yeah, as a Wings fan, it’s tough to think that Pav might not be healthy and we might just have to write off having any meaningful contribution from him this season. That sucks. But when Pav drew it up in his mind I think we can be sure that lingering injuries for a couple months leading into the Olympics wasn’t what he had in mind. We could ask Johan Franzen about that…

There’s also a very real possibility that maybe he is close to being healthy, and the timing truly will work out to where he’s ready to play as the Olympics start. Some people won’t see it for what it is… and will think he prioritized the Olympics over the Wings. Whatever. From a Wings fan perspective, if Pav is just getting healthy enough to play right before the start in Sochi, I hope that he plays in the games—you can get hurt playing there just as easily as you can in an NHL game—so shake the rust off playing for a national team I don’t care about, and be in game shape when you return to Detroit. smile

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/03/14 at 11:24 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

I’m not personally gonna say anything bad about Pav, he has given me so much. I’m gonna look at the positive. The “kids” are getting a ton of ice time, and its only gonna make them better in the near future on how they play/handle themselves. We have seen a ton of come-uppance and the future is looking pretty good to me for my beloved Wings.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 02/03/14 at 11:41 AM ET

He could have left after this year to play at home. I’ll take the 4 year extension for the two weeks in Sochi anyday. I hope he enjoys it. He deserves our best wishes.

Speaking of two weeks, the N.H.L. should send it’s on ice officials to a braille course during the break. First a 50 foot slapper up in the flying Wallendas safety net & off the goalies arse that they didn’t see and then that farce yesterday.

I really dug Hank’s leadership yesterday. The kids must have been eating that up. Lessons in pure determination.

Yes, play the kids. I’d like to see Quincy gone cause he isn’t going to be long with the winged wheel anyway. To Hell with depth. Trade him before he walks in the summer. It’s time for Kindl to step up anyway.

Almost half the Griffs in Detroit and they are still one of the top teams in the A.H.L.? Amazing.

Posted by leftwing on 02/03/14 at 04:01 PM ET