The Malik Report

Mike Modano still uncertain about his playing future

ESPN Dallas’s Master Tefatsion spoke to former Red Wings forward and Dallas Stars legend Mike Modano about his status while Modano prepared for a celebrity-studded charity baseball game on Saturday in Frisco, Texas, and Modano still hasn’t decided whether he plans on continuing to play:

“I’ve just been taking it easy,” said Modano, the host of the event. “I’ve been on some vacations, kind of lying around playing some golf and not really in a rush to make a decision one way or the other about what’s going to happen.”

Modano, 41, played for the Red Wings last season after spending the previous 20 with the Stars in Minnesota and Dallas. Modano has talked about his decision to a few of his friends at the baseball event who have opposing stances on what Modano will ultimately choose:

“I think if the right opportunity came along for him I think he’d love to put the skates on for one more year because he was in was great shape this year before he got hurt up in Detroit,” said The Heroes Foundation founder Charlie McKinney, one of the charities that will benefit from the baseball game. “... I think he feels he’s got one more year in him.”

“I’m from Detroit, so I’m thrilled if he does retire as a Red Wing,” said actor Geoff Stults, who has attended Modano’s charity event every year and talked to him Thursday night about his decision. Mike doesn’t have to prove anything and it just comes down to whether in the next two weeks if he decides he wants to put in the time and the preparation. It’s not even about playing for him, I think—it’s about what it takes to get ready to play. At his age, maybe he wants to golf.”

There’s the rub—does he want to deal with the summertime training as well as the grind of training camp, the exhibition season and an 82-game regular season before bidding the game a fond farewell?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

red_wings_49's avatar

I really wish that he wouldn’t have gotten injured last year.  I almost feel as if everyone labeled him a traitor even though he almost lost function of that hand from the injury.  Bah.  I wish you well Mike!

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 07/08/11 at 05:53 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

At least he can be certain he’s not playing in Detroit.

If he was serious about coming back, shouldn’t he be training now?

Posted by TheFreak on 07/08/11 at 06:00 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I agree that the totally unpredictable and horrific injury he had last season unfairly tainted his year with the Wings.  On the other hand, when he says, “I’ve just been taking it easy,” it doesn’t sound to me like he really wants to play hockey anymore.  Remember what Nick Lidstrom recently said about how much harder it is to keep in shape to play well as you get older?  Mo came into the Wings’ camp out of shape last fall.  To his credit, he worked really hard to lose some weight and get in shape and was making great progess before his wrist got cut.  But if he really wanted to play again this coming season, you’d think he’d have learned something from last year and would be working out - hard.  Nope, sounds to me like he’s really not that interested.

I also wish him well.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/08/11 at 06:01 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

If he was serious about coming back, shouldn’t he be training now?

Posted by TheFreak on 07/08/11 at 04:00 PM ET

Your post popped up about the same time as mine.  Looks like we were thinking the same thing.

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/08/11 at 06:03 PM ET

He tried last year.  If it had worked out it would have been a nice exit.  It didn’t so he should just hang em up instead of hanging on.  Willie Mays tarnished his many accomplishments by hanging around too long.

Posted by 13 user names on 07/08/11 at 07:25 PM ET

Incognetis's avatar

I think the real issue is: Master Tefatsion, real or fake name???

Posted by Incognetis from Delaware... Hi... I'm in... Delaware on 07/08/11 at 08:55 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar