The Malik Report

Mike Green Stabilizes The Wings Defense

from Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News,

Offense from the back end, a growing problem for the Red Wings in recent seasons, emerged as a full-blown crisis last year.

It makes Mike Green’s better performance essential.

His leadership might prove just as important.

Of the 31 goal and 88 assists from defensemen, last season, Green had 14 and 22.

It is the most goals Green tallied since 2009-10, when the native of Calgary finished second in voting for the Norris Trophy for a consecutive season.

As the lineup evolves from the Wings’ accomplished past, preserving the attitude, work ethic and style of play is a priority for Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall, who have been around the dressing room for more than a decade.

Green’s example, experience and wisdom are increasingly significant.

continued

At Mlive, Brendan Savage wants to know if the Wings are a playoff team after 2 games,

Click if you want.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

——And the Red Wings won both games despite having one of their top scorers, Andreas Athanasiou, on the sidelines
——-Do not want to take anything away from both wins, but you mention we played without AA, I think it makes sense to mention Wild played without Parise and Ottawa played without Karlsson.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/10/17 at 08:58 AM ET

Good for Mike Greene.  Seems to have finally matured beyond the guy that sulked his way through horrible play in the second round in 09 because his girlfriend dumped him.

Posted by PMP5030 on 10/10/17 at 09:03 AM ET

It is a small sample size, but Green has looked good the first two games.

Posted by NEWing on 10/10/17 at 09:04 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

It is a small sample size, but Green has looked good the first two games.

Posted by NEWing on 10/10/17 at 09:04 AM ET

Except in his own end.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 10/10/17 at 09:22 AM ET

Except in his own end.

Respectfully disagree.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/10/17 at 09:52 AM ET

Agree with V, while he hasn’t been lights out in his own zone, he’s been one of our best back there.

Posted by benzanato on 10/10/17 at 10:10 AM ET

Green was our best defenseman last season, and remains the best right now. Well except at walking the blue line and holding the line.

I’m hopeful we can parlay him into an extra 1st round pick. Although I wouldn’t be shocked if Kenny signs him to an extension, you know, since we’re just 2% away from being in the mix.

Also, only the guys at MLIVE would publish an article about making the playoffs after 2 games. Sigh…

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 10:31 AM ET

If Green’s stabilizing the defense, it will be interesting to see what happens being paired with the great defensive de-stabilizer, Errorson.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/10/17 at 10:39 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I really respect Savage as a writer, but hoo boy is reaching here.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 10:57 AM ET

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/10/17 at 10:39 AM ET

I still believe the Ericsson criticism is greatly exaggerated. He’s overpaid. But he’s a decent #5/6 d-man. Last year, Dekeyser had more giveaways per game than Ericsson, but those are somehow overlooked. Yet Ericsson mistakes get blown out of proportion. The late goal by Ottawa was not solely Ericsson’s fault…Helm’s job was to battle on the boards to help clear the zone. Instead, Helm was standing in the neutral zone, allowing Phaneuf to jump in front of him and keep the puck in. But some fans pin 100% of this on Ericsson.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 10:58 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

And yeah, Ericsson is a hunk of crap for being a vet at $4mil+ / year. Would have just bought him out, honestly. Not sure how much money that saves but it may have been enough to help the AA situation.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 11:01 AM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 11:01 AM ET

Per CapFriendly buyout calculator, buying out Ericsson would have saved $2.6 mil this year and $2.9 mil the following two years, then cost $1.4 mil the 4th through 6th years. (approximate amounts after rounding)

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/10/17 at 11:13 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/10/17 at 11:13 AM ET

Ugh…I didn’t realize it would last 6 years!

Still, we’d have the money to easily accommodate AA (if he would ever sign) plus keep Hicketts or Russo up.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 11:20 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Thank you, btw. smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 11:20 AM ET

Ugh…I didn’t realize it would last 6 years!

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 11:20 AM ET

To really make you feel bad, I’ll remind you that Stephen Weiss is still costing the Wings almost $2.6 mil against the cap this year and almost $1.7 mil the following three years.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/10/17 at 11:34 AM ET

Dailey has been better than I had expected.  He gets the puck moving north quickly.  In my mind this has more to do with stabilizing the defense.
XO has appeared slower than I expected and too often chasing the play.

Posted by Ventr on 10/10/17 at 11:41 AM ET

There’s that “walking the line” snark again. oh boy. someone here doesn’t know when to let go.

moving on…..

I’m hopeful for a good season from Green. It would be great to get a high pick from him. I’m wondering though if there is a team projected to have a good season that might end up with a low 2nd round pick they picked up in trade with another team. Chicago maybe? Green would be very helpful to them since I heard of prognosticators saying the hawks need help with offense from the blue line.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 11:50 AM ET

And yeah, Ericsson is a hunk of crap for being a vet at $4mil+ / year

I think Z and Kron influence is the main reason E was never waived or benched.

I’m hopeful we can parlay him into an extra 1st round pick

For that to happen, we will have to be double digits points behind the 8th seed at the deadline.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/10/17 at 12:10 PM ET

I think Z and Kron influence is the main reason E was never waived or benched.

or, benching him might not do any good because E is what E is (or any other player passed their prime). Not playing him is not going to make him reach any deeper then he already can do. It’s not going to turn him into a better skater and it won’t make him work herder to develop his passing game. sorry to disagree with you, don’t take it personally.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 12:16 PM ET

I agree and the purpose of benching him is just because I feel our defense will be better with him occasionally sitting a game or two. And again, last season, I felt E was absolutely fine (for his standards) in the first half of the season, but so far in 2 games this season, he’s been our worst dman. I would try Witkovski and see what happens. I cannot imagine he will be worse. Nothing personal against E, but I am literally shaking when he is on the ice.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/10/17 at 12:26 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Players making mistakes (Helm) or playing poorly does not excuse any other person’s poor play/mistakes (Ericsson).

I thought we were fighting for a meritocracy?? hmmm

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 12:34 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

People throw their arms up when AA gets benched, exclaiming that it’s unfair how other players don’t get benched.

Then when Ericsson completely biffs a clearing attempt, unpressured, that very nearly costs us a game (and cost us a valuable ROW) excuses are made for him.

It. Doesn’t. Make. Sense.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 12:39 PM ET

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 12:16 PM ET

It’s pretty narrow-minded to think that benching a player only influences that particular player. Benching a guy like Ericsson or Kronwall or Helm or Abby isn’t going to magically turn their game around. Thanks captain obvious. I’m not sure anybody actually has suggested that it will. Yet that remains your number 1 argument against doing that (ie benching AA can teach him a lesson, but benching Sheahan or Ericsson is pointless).

Have you ever considered the following:

1) Benching say Sheahan last year, means that maybe someone like Nosek or Bertuzzi takes his place. Is it possible this makes us a better hockey team on that particular night? So benching Kronwall isn’t some bizarre attempt to transform Kronwall’s game, but instead is an opportunity to dress Smith or Ouellet or Jensen or whoever else happened to be the healthy scratch.

2) What does that benching do to the morale of the team? Young players like Mantha, Larkin, AA, Jensen, etc…might actually be energized seeing some underperforming veteran getting scratched. It’s a visible reminder that this is a meritocracy, rather than an old boys club. That’s the purpose that you just fail to understand. You go on and on about how benching Ericsson or Kronwall or Sheahan won’t make them “reach deeper” or “skate better”, but you fail to see the bigger picture. It’s about fairness and accountability.

Enjoy your day smile

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 01:03 PM ET

Colin's avatar

Have you ever considered the following:

Enjoy your day

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 01:03 PM ET

1) Sheahan was hardly a veteran last year, and I’m sure you remember the numerous pieces about him “doing all the right things” but failing to score. He wasn’t benched because the coach felt he was contributing defensively. You’re right that it is an opportunity to dress one of the kids, but those kids right now are Svech and Bertuzzi, who are injured, and Hicketts, who we already know is very good from the preseason so an extra look vs. top-pairing minutes in the AHL is really a toss up. We are going to suck anyway, so why not steer this skid into a Rasmus Dahlin to play alongside Hicketts?

2) It may raise the morale of the young guys, but the eye test it isn’t a morale problem but a laziness one. We’re also talking about union work, which is by no means a meritocracy. It also isn’t about “fairness”. It is about winning games. No matter how deluded they may be, they feel the safe route to wins lies in the aching backs and broken hips of our pensioners.

It’s not that I’m defending Ericsson. I thought we never should have signed his aggressively mediocre ass to that extension, and I’ve wanted to shoot him, Kenny, and all these bad contracts out of a cannon into the sun. I’m just saying what IS going on, and it’s that our organization has other priorities. Personally, I think knocking kids down a peg and humbling them is a good thing every once and a while, especially when said young kid is taking shifts off.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 10/10/17 at 04:00 PM ET

speaking of taking things personally…....

Thanks captain obvious.

wow. name calling. brilliant. didn’t you once say you didn’t, errr, name call? It’s almost as if you are taking what I say, personally. I’m not sure if that’s a line you want to walk…...

Yet that remains your number 1 argument against doing that

ahhhh….I think this is the first time I have ever mentioned this idea in any comment section here. you are welcome to comb through my comments and show where I did.

Benching say Sheahan….benching Kronwall….some underperforming veteran getting scratched….

Response: What does that benching do to the morale of the team? think “big picture”, like including the veteran response. Let’s just not focus on, just a few guys like you did do.

Have you ever considered the following:

dang. no. I hadn’t. thanks “captain obvious.”

but you fail to see the bigger picture.

this is rich coming from a guy who has a hard time letting go of when he is wrong. Next time you make a comment why don’t you put the financial ramifications into your thoughts and make sure we understand why your suggestion makes sense to the Illitchs and their bottom line. Factor in things like, but not limited to, salary, ticket sales, team sales, memorabilia sales, fan response….....you know, the things that someone who is thining “big picture” would do.

but hey, don’t take it personally. This is just a sport. it’s not as if your real happiness is linked to this. Mine ain’t.

Just a reminder that there are some real issues out there that people face…..

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 04:06 PM ET

sorry Paul. I know you hate this kind of stuff and would rather have us discuss hockey.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 04:07 PM ET

I so agree with this. and…...

....this.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 04:11 PM ET

Paul's avatar

You are right howeand… and I just may do what a ref does in a post-whistle scrum, pick one out.

I am trying to keep some sanity in the comments and with George out, it makes it that much harder.

I don’t have the time to babysit and everyone must remember, we have many more readers of the comments than those that actually post them.

Thy don’t want to read people bickering.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/10/17 at 04:11 PM ET

Paul. Respect.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 04:14 PM ET

Paul. Respect.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 04:14 PM ET

Almost 95% of Howeandhowe’s posts are directed to me, nitpicking everything I say. It doesn’t bother me. But it’s probably not great for discourse. Maybe try posting more of your original ideas instead of always bickering with me.

Respect. Fist in the air.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 04:19 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Here is a suggestion to both, how about ignoring each other.

Respond to me via email if you want to discuss, not here.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/10/17 at 04:21 PM ET

Colin's avatar

Here is a suggestion to both, how about ignoring each other.

Respond to me via email if you want to discuss, not here.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/10/17 at 04:21 PM ET

Thank you, Paul, and I apologize for hijacking this thread in advance.

Seriously guys, and I’m talking to both of you here Howe and Savage:

Just stop bickering at each other. We’re all fans here, we all have opinions, and we all love the Red Wings. This is about DISCOURSE, not shit-talking. You shit talk on Facebook, on the ice, or between the penalty boxes. TMR is for people who actually give a damn about hockey and about the Red Wings, who want to talk seriously and sometimes joke around about the team. This back and forth between you two is TOXIC, and it is destroying the conversation and driving people away. It is possible to offer a differing opinion without being a jackass to one another. I’ve done it despite both of you guys getting on my nerves at one point or another. That’s how discourse works, despite what the last several presidential debates may have you believe. You both have good opinions, you both have opinions that are absurd.

So PLEASE, either make amends and learn how to be civil with one another and other posters, or meet up and locker-box it out.

PS: If you choose option 2 be sure to film it and have Paul post it so we can watch smile

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 10/10/17 at 04:32 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland’s new yacht, “Incompetence” on 10/10/17 at 04:32 PM ET

Unfortunately, Colin, your comments arent the ones that are responded to! I’d like to see someone actually respond to your points (im thinking of AA specifically), but instead its the battle of the low hanging fruit.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 05:37 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

And I imagine that this type of request, as has been made before, will go ignored. Which is sad, as we should all want to improve our conversations here instead of contuining to troll.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 05:48 PM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 05:37 PM ET

I’d like to point you to this page where Colin and I have been discussing AA a bit along with VP.

oh wait…..you have been there too. Maybe you have me blocked.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 07:18 PM ET

how about ignoring each other.

done.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 07:19 PM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 05:37 PM ET

Thanks Homer. You may have missed it, but we had some good discussion going on the Athanasiou thread.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 10/11/17 at 09:43 AM ET