The Malik Report

Mike Babcock On His Status With The Detroit Red Wings

from Nicholas J. Cotsonika of Yahoo,

Let's clear this up once and for all: Mike Babcock will coach the Detroit Red Wings in 2014-15, no matter how much other teams might want him, no matter what the media dream up. He has a year left on his contract. The Wings want him back. He doesn't want to leave.

Babcock said even if the Wings fired him now, he would not look for another job until after next season. The youngest of his three children will be a senior in high school in the Detroit area. He will not uproot his daughter, and he will not coach elsewhere during that time.

"I ain't missing it," Babcock said.

There are no guarantees beyond that – not for the Wings, but not for other teams, either. General manager Ken Holland plans to discuss an extension with Babcock at some point this summer. Babcock is in no rush one way or the other.

"I have a contract for a year; Ken Holland has a contract for a year," Babcock said. "I assume the sequence of events are, they deal with Ken Holland first, and then they deal with Mike Babcock. But I'm real comfortable, and I mean that, and I've said it. I'm on record. I'm comfortable in my situation. It's not like I need someone to do anything right now. I’m fine because I think our team’s going in the right direction again.”

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

gowings's avatar

thanks for posting it.Good read

Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/18/14 at 10:39 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

“I have a contract for a year; Ken Holland has a contract for a year,” Babcock said. “I assume the sequence of events are, they deal with Ken Holland first, and then they deal with Mike Babcock.

I figured this was pretty obviously the reason that Babcock hasn’t been signed to an extension yet, but then again, I’m no professional hockey journalist.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 05/18/14 at 12:11 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Me neither, which is why I’ve been so annoyed at the “professionals’” assumption that “the grass is greener” elsewhere.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/18/14 at 12:26 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

We know that, just as the sun rises in the east, the Toronto media will create stories out of non-stories every time a player, coach, or GM of a certain magnitude come to the end of a current contract. And those stories will focus on how it’s pretty much a given that (insert a player, coach, or GM of a certain magnitude here) wants to fulfill a lifelong dream and be a part of the Maple Leafs organization.

From Toronto, it’s expected. The lunacy over this issue going on in Pittsburgh right now is a bit surprising.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/18/14 at 01:05 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

No Red Winger most people that are fans of the Pens know there are 2 chances of that happening, Slim & None & Slim is packed & ready to go

Posted by Evilpens on 05/18/14 at 01:20 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/18/14 at 12:26 PM ET

Agreed George. Im so sick of them beating something out of nothing only to stir the pot. I think this is and should be put to rest finally by all the bozo’s out there.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/18/14 at 04:08 PM ET