The Malik Report

Mike Babcock On His Contract Situation

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock wants an extension done by fall, or else he'll wait for spring. Winter is not a time to talk — which makes sense.

Babcock has been busy looking for assistants — he just got word that Tony Granato will be joining him with the Wings. There has been less work done regarding Babcock's own future in Detroit, as he enters the last year of his contract.

The 2014-15 season will be Babcock's 10th season behind the bench in Detroit. Such anniversaries usually are a cause to give something made of tin. Or in pro sports, a raise.

Babcock reiterated today that he doesn't anticipate talking about his own future, so long as general manager Ken Holland also is in the last year of his contract. (Holland, however, has one year plus an option year that, thought a club option, can become vested depending on what happens this season.)

Babcock also made one thing clear: "We get it done by fall, or I won't bother. I'm not doing it during the season."

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

HSJ herself already hinting at Babs going to Toronto.  She’s irritating me.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/14/14 at 04:12 PM ET

Babcock’s not going to extend in Detroit without knowing who his boss is going to be. Plain and simple, if Holland isn’t extended (he doesn’t deserve to be) then I see Babcock either walking or waiting until next offseason to see what Detroit does with the front office.

Posted by jpellek on 07/14/14 at 04:16 PM ET

Babcock also made one thing clear: “We get it done by fall, or I won’t bother. I’m not doing it during the season.” This makes sense, because Babcock doesn’t want the distraction of a contract negotiation while trying to guide the Wings to a record-extending 24th straight playoff appearance.

If Babcock is without a contract during the season, he will have to answer questions from the media about his future daily so it will be a distraction anyway.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/14/14 at 04:30 PM ET

I mean. do we want Babcock? I’m not sure, maybe Blashill is the way to go. Do we want Holland? *#$%@& NO! I do not want Holland back. I’m glad that *#$%@& only has 1 year left. I’m tired of that dude *#$%@& up the last 5 seasons. Anyway… I see Babcock coaching Pitt. next year.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/14/14 at 04:34 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/14/14 at 04:34 PM ET

Such a great, fresh perspective.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/14/14 at 04:35 PM ET

I mean. do we want Babcock? I’m not sure, maybe Blashill is the way to go

I think it would make sense for Babcock to coach this team for another 3 years while the core of Dats, Z, Kronwall and Franzen is still here and they are leading the team.
I think Blashill would make more sense as a coach when the team will be lead by Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, etc. Blashill just got resigned for 3 years so that could be the plan although I also have a feeling Babcock might end up coaching Pittsburgh next season IF he is not signed prior to a start of this season.

I’m glad that *#$%@& only has 1 year left

I do not see there is any chance KH will not be extended. It does not seem like he is accountable to anybody really and does whatever he wants anyway. It does not look like Ilitches pay any attention or maybe just making playoffs is good enough for them.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/14/14 at 04:48 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 07/14/14 at 04:48 PM ET

Your argument makes sense, Babs is more comfortable with vets, and after 3 years the “chain of command”  to a younger generation will take place in the dressing room.Makes sense to have Blashill then

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/14/14 at 05:52 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

It does make a lot of sense as Babcock would more than likely be extended at least for another 3 years,

Posted by bigfrog on 07/14/14 at 09:24 PM ET

Babcock doesn’t want the distraction of a contract negotiation during the season i respect that just as he would never let coaching his home country in the Olympics distract him.

Posted by brians neck on 07/14/14 at 11:25 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

maybe just making playoffs every year is good enough for them.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/14/14 at 04:48 PM ET