The Malik Report

Mike Babcock On Detroit’s Injuries

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

"They're hurt, they're hurt," he said. "Helmer would have been in a week ago if it was up to me. That's why I'm not allowed to be involved in that. But getting ready for summer isn't a priority. We need guys back. So how can we get them back? Well a guy with a broken foot and broken rib, they're not coming back. The head one, you never know. We could use anybody available."

more from after practice today...

added 3:32pm, Release of Tootoo recall is below...

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today recalled right wing Jordin Tootoo from the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins.

A native of Churchill, Manitoba, Tootoo has skated in 38 games with the Griffins this season, recording 14 points (4-10-14) and 74 penalty minutes. The 31-year-old forward has also skated in 10 games with the Red Wings this year, recording one assist and five penalty minutes while averaging 6:57 in ice time. In 538 career NHL games with the Nashville Predators and Red Wings, Tootoo has totaled 134 points (49-85-134) and 808 penalty minutes. He has also appeared in 138 AHL contests with Milwaukee and Grand Rapids, tallying 63 points (27-36-63) and 467 penalty minutes.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

He’s said things like this before about Helm. Like ‘skate cut’ game a couple seasons ago where Helm was like “i cant play because of my knee” and 5 minutes later Babcock is asked about that and says “he is playing its the playoffs” (not exact quotes but same message). So…kinda telling i think…maybe. Good news only 2 weeks before pavel returns?? An update on how his knee is feeling would be good.

Posted by brians neck on 03/15/14 at 03:18 PM ET

perfection's avatar

man… our odds of winning tomorrow are just not very good. like 10% maybe? it sucks too because we need the pts so bad and both us the fans and the coaches still expect them to win and will be both critical and disappointed when and if they don’t.

but they’re up against an angry star-studded Hawks team looking to turn things around after a couple bad games, on home ice, against their dreaded rival, who happen to be utterly decimated by injuries and more resemble their minor league team than their NHL squad. just doesn’t seem all that favorable a matchup.

the only thing we may have going is that since we are fighting for our playoff lives, perhaps we will play a bit more desperately… but I think their recent slide and the riled up St Patty’s in Chicago atmosphere may cancel that out anyway.

Howie needs to steal it… crazier things have happened that’s for sure. Maybe Franzen pots 5 and we hold the Hawks to 4. it is possible… just not all that likely

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/15/14 at 03:20 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Good news only 2 weeks before pavel returns??

No. I think 2 weeks until he starts working again and tests the knee.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/15/14 at 03:52 PM ET

I honestly have no expectations of 13, 40, whatever the *#$%@& weiss’s number is, 26, or 43 playing again this year.

Posted by brians neck on 03/15/14 at 04:02 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by brians neck on 03/15/14 at 04:02 PM ET

I agree 100% with this!  Pav for example may be 2 weeks from skating THEN getting into game shape. Shut them down until next year, IMO

Helm comments by Babs are interesting.  What happened to the Best Third Line Center in the NHL?  I am a huge fan of Helm since Junior WHL days, a tad worried about him and injuries or lack there of.

Give Tootoo fair ice time!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/15/14 at 04:47 PM ET

About time Bab’s the great put Tootoo back in the lineup.

Posted by Howdy Gordie on 03/15/14 at 05:01 PM ET

Nothing to lose tomorrow, let Tootoo give the NBC crew something to really cry about.

Posted by maltby18 on 03/15/14 at 05:06 PM ET

Paul's avatar

It’s catchy… According to Jim Bowden of ESPN,Tigers SS Iglesias expected to miss most of the season with shin injury.

A few weeks ago was going to miss a week or so with shin splints.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/15/14 at 06:18 PM ET

gowings's avatar

I wonder what are the odds in Vegas for us winning this game? Or more importantly, who can honestly say they truly feel in their guts that the wings can win it? Maybe I am praying to the wrong god LOL…

And looking at the standing…what the hell…..I never wish for a Pitt victory….today I did and Phil wins? We are not lucky that’s for sure

Posted by gowings from MTL on 03/15/14 at 06:36 PM ET

philly smacked the pens tomorrows 2 points are must. we have to keep pace with them.

Posted by brians neck on 03/15/14 at 06:45 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Tootoo can/will help. I know. I now sound desperate.

But really, he does play a high energy game, and hits anything that moves. He had grown on me, because he gives 100% every shift, every game.

Whatever it takes to make the Playoffs.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/14 at 07:38 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by maltby18 on 03/15/14 at 05:06 PM ET

What…like a little “subtle interference”?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/15/14 at 08:16 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

If Eddie O and McGuire are broadcasting the game, then I will listen to the radio. I had enough of them last Sunday.

Posted by bigfrog on 03/15/14 at 08:40 PM ET

Bent's avatar

If they’re broadcasting the game tomorrow, it is proof NBC hates us and wants us to suffer.  Olczyk in particular was unbelievably intolerable last game.  The best part was where he wanted a penalty on the Wings for “deception.”

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/16/14 at 12:12 AM ET

The best part was where he wanted a penalty on the Wings for “deception.”

That was a tough game to watch.  Although hearing Edzo the great make claims about Alfredsson being notorious ‘for that sort of thing’ had me hitting the mute button hard.

All I can hope for is Toots and Glenny to get under the Cawks skin and distract the hell out of them.  If Mule wants to grab one of the boys mouthguards again, so be it!

Posted by maltby18 on 03/16/14 at 12:32 AM ET

Chet's avatar

Nobody has criticized Babcock for telling a guy with a concussion to play?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 03/16/14 at 01:58 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

yea, here comes edzo with his “subtle bias”

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/16/14 at 03:48 AM ET

I hope the Tigers do a full audit of their medical staff to make sure they aren’t missing anything.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/16/14 at 10:10 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I love how Babcock says he loves guys who compete and the completely gives up on a guy like Tootoo. Dude’s full of $hit

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/16/14 at 11:09 AM ET

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/16/14 at 11:09 AM ET

He also likes guys who are good at hockey.

Posted by Garth on 03/16/14 at 12:54 PM ET