The Malik Report

Mickey Redmond talks Wings-Bruins, player safety on Detroit Sports 105.1

Red Wings color commentator Mickey Remdond appeared on Detroit Sports 105.1 FM on Monday afternoon, and he spoke about the Red Wings-Bruins series for the majority of his 21-minute interview...But around the 12-minute mark, he went on quite the tear regarding player safety, respect for one's opponents and the way that the NHL's culture of violence needs to change. He was quite eloquent, frankly:

Redmond says that he feels that the game's become, "Too bloody violent" and that the game is too good to not make players responsible for their actions regardless of their opponents' actions. He feels that the NHLPA needs to rally for player safety lest someone suffer a catastrophic injury...

And as a counter, I would argue that the coaches, GM's and owners need to inform their players that the kind of stuff we're seeing (Seabrook-Backes, Cooke-Barrie, etc.) is unacceptable.

It's got to come from both sides.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

TEMO's avatar

I love Mickey!

Posted by TEMO from LANSING, MICHIGAN, U.S.A. on 04/21/14 at 10:18 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I haven’t listened yet, but I will.

Bottom line is the 30 BOG’s could go a Long way to getting this sort of crap out of the game simply by agreeing to 20 to 30 game suspensions and fines to the offending team, not the players ( this eliminates PA approval) for some of the questionable hits.

Look, they got rid of bench clearing brawls by instituting $250,000 fines for the first team off the bench. How many bench clearing brawls have we had in the past 20 years ????

This crap can be eliminated if they want it eliminated.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/21/14 at 10:57 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I would like to see coaches and organizations fined for player suspensions. Right now it’s all on the player. The teams should suffer as well—on EVERY suspension.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/21/14 at 11:00 PM ET

Bent's avatar

LOVE him calling out the NBC “analysts.”

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 04/22/14 at 08:16 AM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

Agreed the teams should suffer too. Losing said player for x amount of games is not enough.  Most of these guys are bottom liners anyway and replaceable. Somehow the teams need to be held accountable for employing dirty players.  I bet some rosters would look different than they do now.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 04/22/14 at 08:59 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

LOVE him calling out the NBC “analysts.”

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 04/22/14 at 09:16 AM ET

Mickey is right. Don’t forget, you can’t spell “analyst” without “anal”. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/22/14 at 10:32 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Mick is the best.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/22/14 at 10:49 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

So uh…what’s an SD?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/22/14 at 04:34 PM ET