The Malik Report

McKenzie reiterates Wings trade talking points

Today's Slapshot's Chris Nichols reports that TSN's Bob McKenzie gave a summary of the NHL's trade front while on Vancouver's TSN 1040 this morning, and here's what McKenzie had to say about the Red Wings (via RedWingsFeed):

“The Detroit Red Wings, I think, want to make some big moves. They want to move Datsyuk’s contract. They’d probably love to give up a guy like Jurco or Pulkkinen in order to facilitate that. But I think they want to try and clear the decks, and if Steven Stamkos becomes available, I think they might be inclined to be a player on that front.

Nichols continues...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

If it costs Jurco or Pulkkinen to clear Datsyuk’s contract, I’d just as happily hang on to Datsyuk’s contract then, thanks.

Posted by Primis on 06/14/16 at 02:31 PM ET

It took a second rounder to move Savard’s contract, so I am not sure why some on this forum think teams will be lining up to take Dats’ contract from our hands.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/14/16 at 03:30 PM ET

It took a second rounder to move Savard’s contract

Really?  Because all the articles about the trade say that it was Savard and a second for two players.  What, do you think Florida should’ve gotten two players just for Savard’s contract?

I think the main reason is that Philly had absolutely no trouble moving Pronger’s contract and neither Boston nor Florida had any trouble moving Savard’s contract.

The only way that this is a problem is if Holland sits on his dumb ass waiting for Datsyuk and some other non-useless GM decides to unload his shit contract before Holland can.

Or the other way this is a problem is just Holland’s general uselessness rears its head.

Posted by Garth on 06/14/16 at 05:33 PM ET

The New Jersey Devils acquired Marc Savard’s contract and a 2nd round pick in 2018 for minor leaguers Paul Thompson and Graham Black.
All indications are those 2 players are career AHLers, so Florida had to give a second rounder to the Devils to take Savard’s contract off their hands. So, it will take at least a second rounder or possibly more to move Dats contract.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/14/16 at 05:52 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 06/14/16 at 04:30 PM ET

One reason is NJ has to pay Savard $575k this year in order to get his $4M cap hit. Any team taking on Pavel’s contract will get a $7M cap hit and they won’t have to pay him a penny. For a cash-strapped team, that’s probably a pretty big advantage.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/14/16 at 06:56 PM ET

Pulky can’t hit the net. All he has is a cannon that’s as accurate as a British musket shooting round balls. I don’t think he or Jurco has a place on the team. So if it takes one of them to free up 7 million to get a player or two that will contribute, I’ll help pack.

Posted by TB1015 on 06/14/16 at 08:50 PM ET

I’m probably alone in this, but I’m willing to hold on to Pulu and Jurco for one more year under new AC Torchetti, who was brought in to work with the forwards and the PP.

There.  Now torch and pitchfork.

Posted by SYF from A tall cool pint of Guinness on 06/14/16 at 09:19 PM ET