The Malik Report

Maybe Howard On Friday

Paul in for George…

Well, the coach may have a change of heart…

Coach Mike Babcock is reconsidering who he’s going to start in net Friday when the Detroit Red Wings host the Nashville Predators in a game likely to determine who’ll finish fourth in the Western Conference.

Babcock had decided on backup Ty Conklin as of Tuesday, but Howard is ready to return from a groin injury, and he’s got to play at some point. Babcock’s original thinking was that he didn’t want to put Howard in against the Predators because he hasn’t played since March 19, but on the other hand, Friday’s game is huge.

“I’m a big believer in having a guy ready before he get’s into a situation like this,” Babcock said after practice today. He planned to talk the matter over with goalie coach Jim Bedard and then make a decision Friday morning.

This via Helene St. James of the Freep where you can read more on the game.

What do you think?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

Coach Mike Babcock is reconsidering…

Don’t look now, but a pig just flew by your house, they are playing a hockey game in Hell tonight, and your cat and dog are sleeping together.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/29/12 at 03:20 PM ET

awould's avatar

I don’t think it matters who is in net if the skaters don’t try very hard. to score or defend.

Posted by awould on 03/29/12 at 03:21 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Usually I’m one to defend The Conk, but I’ll just say this: If James T. doesn’t play against the Predators, there is NO chance of winning that game.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/29/12 at 03:22 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

personally I have no worries with Tiberius, he’s itchin to go. What I do worry about is some preds goon trying to run him. Now that I have a big problem with.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/29/12 at 03:34 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

I imagine Preds are itching to see how their new star player Radulov will play against Detroit.

Posted by TheFreak on 03/29/12 at 03:50 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

duh…you wanna win?

Posted by Rdwings28 on 03/29/12 at 04:52 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Whether Howard plays or not, please, Babs, replace Mule with Gus on the 2nd line. Please!

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 03/29/12 at 05:05 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Second.

Also don’t know how I feel about goaltending.  Conklin was not good versus Columbus—who was, really?—but I don’t want to risk Howard.  Then again, Howard could be rusty and be no better.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/29/12 at 05:14 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

True.

But given how totally unprepared the Wings were for last night’s game, they may have no chance of winning in any event.

Quite literally, any chance the Wings have of getting past the first round of the playoffs rests on winning tomorrow night.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/29/12 at 06:05 PM ET

Rondo's avatar

Howie’s shown in the past that he needs virtually no time to shake off the rust after an injury, although something has looked a little off about his recent last few games. I say get him in there asap so he can start trying to string together some momentum

Posted by Rondo on 03/29/12 at 06:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I think you have to start Howard. Otherwise, you are just forfeiting the game. Either way, tomorrow night will show us what our team is made of.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/29/12 at 06:34 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Is there any word on Joey at all?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/29/12 at 07:21 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

every single game left is against a playoff team. The table is set. Really nothing left to say.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/29/12 at 07:36 PM ET

If Jimmy is ready he is the starter from now on. If he’s not give Pearce a look. Maybe he can steal one like other rookie goalies do against Red Wings

And there will be a lot of message-sending Friday night in anticipation of the 4th-5th playoff matchup. Unfortunately, Red Wings will be on the receiving end ‘cause sending messages is not their style.

Posted by Alex on 03/29/12 at 09:00 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Posted by awould on 03/29/12 at 02:21 PM ET

Bingo-bango as Mickey would say.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/29/12 at 09:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Neither Conk or MacDonald ( yeah I know he’s out ) can stop a breakaway, so if he’s healthy put Howie in there.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/29/12 at 11:56 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

tomorrow night will show us what our team is made of.

Anyone else frightened by the thought that this may very well be a true statement?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/30/12 at 12:32 AM ET