The Malik Report

Matheson weighs in on Red Wings’ chances of re-signing Filppula, Cleary

Via both Paul and my pal NHL Gossip, the Edmonton Journal's Jim Matheson posted a less-than-surprising but still intriguing quip about Red Wings forward Valtteri Filppula's contract demands (according to MLive's Ansar Khan, Filppula's sore shoulder's keeping him from practicing this morning)...

- The Detroit Red Wings are in a pickle with Val Filppula, who has tons of ability but has never really broken through to star status. He makes $3 million US now, and sources say he’d like $4.5 million or so in a new deal when he’s an unrestricted free agent July 1. That’s too rich for Detroit, but what if Pavel Datsyuk, 34, returns to Russia after his contract ends in 2014? “They know that’s a possibility,” said one NHL executive. Then, they need the Filppula, who’s 28.

And Matheson offered two more Wings-related quips...

The Detroit Red Wings have to decide this summer whether to re-up former Oilers winger Daniel Cleary, whose body has started to betray him the last few years with a string of injuries. Cleary, 34, always plays hard, but they probably won’t pay him $2.8 million any longer. Maybe the same two-year deal Todd Bertuzzi got ($3.85 million).

...

- Darren Helm saw a specialist in New York and said he had a small tear in a disc in his back. It’s a four- to six-week healing process, dating back to the start of the season. He has started skating, and the Wings miss his speed big-time on the third-line.

As well as a take on realignment from Cleary's friend, Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff, which focuses very squarely on the Wings:

Injured Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff knows realignment is the way to go with Detroit and Columbus moving to the Eastern Conference, Winnipeg getting into a central time-zone division in the Western Conference, and the Oilers, Calgary and Vancouver in a group with the West Coast U.S. teams. The Oilers would play the other six teams in their division (Gretzky Division?) 29 times, and the seven teams in the Central Division of the West (Minnesota, Winnipeg, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Colorado and Dallas) 21 times. Add up 32 games against the East, and that’s 82.

The players, who voted on it Sunday, may still balk at eight teams out of 14 making the playoffs in the West, and eight out of 16 in the East, because it’s an imbalance, but the NHL is only granting them a vote as a courtesy. They probably won’t care what the players say because we’ve got a new CBA now and feel they can push it through.

“The last time they (NHL) wanted to rush it through (without any NHLPA input),” said Horcoff, who likes the idea of the Oilers playing L.A., Anaheim, San Jose and Phoenix more often, and not just because the weather’s better in the winter months. “I’ve heard our travel may be worst if we were flying just for a one-game trip, but as long as we’re out there (for three or four games), that’s great.”

“It was inevitable (realignment). Detroit and Columbus playing West Coast teams has been terrible. I have lots of friends on the Wings, and flying home from games they’re losing three hours. They’re telling me they would get home at four or five in the morning from the West Coast,” Horcoff said.

“As long as we’re playing every team, that’s good. This will be something fresh for the fans and the players.”

Horcoff wouldn’t mind seeing re-seeding once they get to the final four teams standing, based on points. If two Western teams play in the Cup final or two in the East, so be it. “It should be the best teams.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

To sign Fil and think he’s going to fill in the hole left when Pavel heads home is like thinking Coca Cola was signed to “replace” Lids…. which is all as dumb as the 8-13-11 line.
What you see is what you are going to get out of Fil, he’s hit his plateau and there’s no more upisde to wait around on.
Cleary needs to just step aside at the end of the year.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/04/13 at 11:18 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I sure don’t see a 4.5 M Contract for Fil sadly as I like him but he hasn’t stepped up to the level that is expected of him.  Cleary might be signed if there is room on the 3/4 lines.

I think they might fall victim to the strange Sammy signing with the Modified No Move Clause and Bert’s 2 year contract.

With 16 forwards on the roster including injuries and a couple of Prospects pushing to move up from GR someone will have to move.  Whether it is Cleary/Fil who knows?  KH probably doesn’t know yet.

Fil has got to make a big push when he returns or he might be up for trade on Apr 3, Cleary looks like there is not enough left in his tank for top 6.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/04/13 at 11:36 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

[Helm has] started skating, and the Wings miss his speed big-time on the third-line.

Best news in forever.  That means it’s healed.  Hallelujah.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/04/13 at 11:37 AM ET

Cleary might be signed if there is room on the 3/4 lines.

The problem is that there are already too many 3/4 line guys and the Wings have Andersson, Nyquist, and Tatar who need to be on the team next year (or at least two of them do, I could see one of them being used as trade bait).

I like his heart, but there’s not god d*mn room for him.

Posted by Garth on 03/04/13 at 11:43 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I would make the choice between Cleary and Miller: maybe one, definitely not both.  Iike Miller a lot.  Smart hockey player.  Trouble is that brains are his best attribute by far.  Not fast, not big, not especially handy with stick.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/04/13 at 11:48 AM ET

I like Miller too, but in a perfect world the Wings would only have room for one of Cleary, Miller and Eaves, and I think Eaves is the best of the three.  I would definitely like to have Miller around though, if there’s room.

Posted by Garth on 03/04/13 at 11:53 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

What’s gonna happen when they reinsert all these players with 15 games left? Bert, Helm, Carlo, Sammy….... will they push out the Griffins who have played quite well?

Do you see intermittent starts from Miller and Eaves who have also played well? They will obviously not sit Franzen who looks like an 89 year old grandma in a cyber cafe out there.

I just don’t see how they can throw all these players back into the lineup and expect them to perform enough to get them into the playoffs - and anywhere thereafter.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 03/04/13 at 11:55 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

and I think Eaves is the best of the three.

Agreed.  Bottom Six I want this year, and maybe next ...

Tatar, Helm, Eaves
Abdelkader/Miller, Andersson/Emmerton, Tootoo

I honestly don’t know if Andersson might be a better center than Emmerton.  He looks pretty good, and he’s bigger than Emmerton.  But I like Emmerton’s heart and brains.  Let them fight it out.  But, you could have ...

Abdelkader, Andersson, Tootoo.

That’s a sizeable line that can hit and grind out goals.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/04/13 at 12:03 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

probably.  sigh

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/04/13 at 12:08 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Great way to start the week with Helm skating, still a ways off but finally progress, YES!!!

Trading a pending UFA at the deadline will be tough, IMO. It will have to be a desperate Eastern Conference team or a Western Conf team that is tanking.  They can get them for nothing in July.

Now Wings have too many D and too many forwards, what a freakin WEIRD year!!

I think Nyquist and Sheehan will push for NHL spots next year also.

But this is only Monday and things could change again with injuries.

I agree that players that haven’t played a lot coming back from injuries will have a tough time, for me I am not a Sammy Fan so not seeing him on the ice does not bother me at all.

Helm, Bert and Fil will help as they return to the lineup.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/04/13 at 12:09 PM ET

Or a solid team looking to shore up one position.  Aren’t those the teams that usually trade for impending UFAs?

Posted by Garth on 03/04/13 at 12:17 PM ET

In my mind, Cleary, Miller, Sammy, and Abdelkader are all good options to move on to a different destination. Bring up Nyquist and Sheahan to replace those 4.
Top two lines become Nyquist-Z-Brunner and Bert-Dats-Tatar. Bottom 6 is Sheahan Helm Eaves and Andersson Emmerton Tootoo.
Fil can be thrown in on any line, where ever or shipped off to whatever team for some sort of compensation later this year.

Posted by teldar on 03/04/13 at 12:36 PM ET

So you’re trading Franzen too?

Posted by Garth on 03/04/13 at 12:58 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

So you’re trading Franzen too?

Maybe he won’t pass the preseason physical due to lack of a heart or pulse.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/04/13 at 01:24 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Holland could always try and get a good deal out of Fil while also trying to trade him. Get him Locked up for a few years for his new team.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 03/04/13 at 01:51 PM ET

I still think that we should have an Andersson/Nyquist/Tatar line.  They need some time in the NHL to get used to the NHL level of play; Tatar is the scorer, Nyquist is a playmaker and Andersson can provide support as a power forward.

Sammuelson was maybe an ok signing on paper but in reality has been horrible, if anything at least he’s been injured a lot.

Unrelated, Howard’s position has been killing me.  I’ve never played organized hockey but when the puck gets down low he will kick himself from one side of the net to the other and seems to always overcommit, it leads to some pretty scary looking situations that fortunately haven’t been going in lately.

Posted by neffernin on 03/04/13 at 02:25 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Yes that is very true.  It depends what Fil, for example, is worth to another team.  His value is somewhat unknown.  Also it is better to trade him at a low return rather than get nothing in July assuming KH will not pay the reported $4.5 M.

Lots of ifs, buts and assumptions.

I think the Trade deadline will be quieter than usual but all it takes is one GM to pull the trigger on a Big Trade and others might have to keep up.

My opinion, the Wings won’t do much…another guess!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/04/13 at 02:42 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Unfortunately Sammy has a Modified No Trade Clause, I think?  Not sure what it would take to move him with the MTC??

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/04/13 at 02:45 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I honestly think we are stuck with Sammy, Franzen and Bert.  How Sammy got a some kind of a No Trade Clause is beyond me. The other suggestions from others above might be better used in a trade for draft picks.  Sammy/Bert should have 1 year contracts and woefully Mule could have been Hossa.  Hindsight is so cool!

Aves/Bjs/Oilers up next!

Hope the Monster Groin is ready for 1 game on the weekend!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/04/13 at 02:54 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Trade both at the deadline (I know Cleary has a NTC).  Clearly has worn down and gets pushed around.  He is a bottom 6 forward and the Wings already have to many.  Griffins need spots and Wings can’t afford another bottom six forward who makes more than a mil.  If Holland re-signs him I’ll flip my lid.  He adds nothing to the group at this point.  Contrary to what babs has you think, he does not bring size.

Filppula will commands too much for being a complementary winger.  He disappears way too much and has never done anything in the playoffs.  He relies on others too much.  The Wings don’t have the cap space and can’t get value out of Fil for his contract demands.  $2.5 is the most he should get IMO.  Get something in return when you can.

Samuelsson was waste and who saw that coming? Pffff.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/04/13 at 03:53 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Maybe he won’t pass the preseason physical due to lack of a heart or pulse.

That’s funny right there.  Where is Dorothy & Toto when we need them?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 03/04/13 at 06:33 PM ET

(I know Cleary has a NTC)

According to capgeek his NTC expired 30 days before the 2011/12 trade deadline.

It depends what Fil, for example, is worth to another team.

True.  If there’s a team that needs an upgrade on the third line and understands that he’s not a top-six centre or a team that doesn’t have a second line centre but somehow buys into the ‘hype’ of Filppula being a top-six centre then he could net some kind of return.

Posted by Garth on 03/04/13 at 07:51 PM ET

Trade both at the deadline (I know Cleary has a NTC).

That expired last year.  The only guys on Detroit’s roster with NTCs of any kind are Datsyuk, Bert, Sammy, Kronwall, E, and Gustavsson.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/05/13 at 06:13 AM ET

wedge56's avatar

With the reduced cap next season, Fil’s number needs to come down to more like 3.75 or so.

So hard to figure out what the FA’s will get this off season with the cap diving again.

Posted by wedge56 on 03/05/13 at 10:43 AM ET